HP XP in boot loop - how to resolve using MSFT/HP cd's

Old March 1st 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default HP XP in boot loop - how to resolve using MSFT/HP cd's

Problem with HP Pavilion 6113 laptop. Need help from experienced "HP / XP
recovery person" please.
During scandisk it was powered off ( don't ask) and then won't boot. I
used utilities to save the data off the laptop's hard drive and now trying
to " Repair XP".
It goes to advanced startup menu - neither last good nor safe work. When
tried it STARTS to boot and echoes startup as far as MUP.SYS then about 5
seconds later restarts - back to HP startup logo - repeats loop: OK need
to repair XP.
But I think it MIGHT be the disk table that's bad - not necessarily XP
?? In any case ...
Where to start to get it to"Fix XP" without reinstalling all of XP/apps ??

With HP's recovery CD ?
If it's a disk issue on C: ( maybe bad sector) will doing a quickrestore
from D: help ?
Or need a Windows XP CD ? and choosing REPAIR ?
Also has the 3 DVD's from HP to completely install XP to a blank disk (
paid extra at hp.com)

HP website kinda vague on exact procedure/outcome.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00608578
Often it says to go to" START - RUN - ... I can't boot it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
To "fix XP without doing a complete Restore/reinstall " ( to save current
data/apps), where to start ?
Thanks

Old March 1st 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Before doing anything else, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, go to
the manufacturer's web site and download the mfr's hard drive diagnostic
software. The usual manufacturers of laptop drives are Fujitsu, Hitachi,
Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Toshiba. If the drive is a Toshiba, there
is NO diagnostic. Run the diagnostic, which will report the health of the
drive, and possibly repair (replace) defective tracks if possible. If the
drive is a Toshiba, download and ruin the free HDAT2 diagnostic, which can do
the same "repairs" and also tell you the SMART parameters of the drive, the best
indicator of the overall health of the drive. If even one "repair" operation
takes place, replace the drive after trying again to do a Windows XP repair.

If you don't know the health of the hardware, it's like driving a car with the
windshield covered... Ben Myers

Old March 1st 08, 07:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
William R. Walsh

Hi!

If the drive is a Toshiba, there is NO diagnostic.

You don't need one. :-) If the drive is a 2.5" Toshiba, it is either bad or
will be soon.

William

Old March 1st 08, 07:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
William R. Walsh

Hi!

First, follow Ben Myers' advice to test the hard drive. If it tests good,
you're looking at what is now a screwed up installation of Windows XP. I
wouldn't even bother repairing it, especially if you have the data. You need
to do a fresh installation at this point. Do not bother to repair the old
installation. It will not work.

If you have the HP restoration DVDs/CDs, just use them. They will put all
the preloaded applications back as they go.

1. Start the system and enter setup. It will tell you what key to push after
you turn the computer on. Look for a "boot order" or similar column. Make
sure the computer is set to try and start from CD-ROM first.

2. Put in the first recovery CD that came with the computer. Save the
settings, exit setup and let the computer restart itself.

3. If prompted, press a key to run setup or start the recovery process.

4. If asked to keep any data, repair your windows installation or do
anything similar, don't. Choose to format the hard drive and do not repair
Windows.

5. Follow the instructions on screen. Sit back and watch, or go do something
interesting for a while.

6. Put your documents and files back on the computer. Don't copy programs or
anything like that...just get your data files.

7. To help prevent this from happening again, head into the device manager
when your computer is up and running. Find your hard drive, double click it
and choose the Disk Properties tab. Remove the check mark from "Write cache
enabled". This will allow Windows XP to handle having its disk work
interrupted by an unexpected power down or crash.

William

Old March 1st 08, 08:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

I see that you have had the same experiences with Toshiba drives as I.

.... Ben Myers

Hi!

Old March 1st 08, 09:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Successful repair of physical tracks followed by a Windows repair gives the
possibility of being able to clone the drive afterwards, saving a serious amount
of time reinstalling all the software. Of course, if the repairs fail, some
time is lost, but small in relation to the usual reloading etc of Windows and
all apps.

I've succeed a few times at this, enough to make me want to try it again and
again. In one instance, the failing drive was cloned perfectly and the system
booted up perfectly without loss of data and with corrupted software EXCEPT for
a single icon on the desktop, easily re-created... Ben Myers

Old March 4th 08, 12:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default HP XP in boot loop - MSFT vs HP XP cd's

Top posting the update:

Bad news/Good news:
I spent a long time locating/copying files onto a external USB drive and
then tried to use HP RECOVERY.
(Not only did I want to TRY to save the install, I really want to TRY to
learn how to use recovery for HP, but so far - No luck. I'm still not sure
if I tried MSFT XP CD , would I be able to "repair the HP XP install".)

Whether I pressed f11 at boot time, or inserted my Windows-made HP Backup
Recovery DVDs or the HP complete "restore to Factory" DVDs that I bought
online last year, they ALL wanted to wipe my drive on the first screen. I
powered down eachtime and spent the afternoon shopping for a 2.5" SATA
case that I could use with a USB cable. I found one in Salem NH and
removed the hdd from the laptop - into the case , hooked up to USB 2.0
port in a desktop Pc that was in STANDBY MODE to see what I could see. -
NOTHING on the C partition - 62gb - 62gb free. Hmmmm.. not good.
I shutdown and rebooted and - startup errors. It was finding thousands of
errors on the laptop drive and marking stuff bad. There were 1900+
"things wrong" with file 9 - whatever that is, and it started echoing on
the startup screen ( like a scandisk screen) tagging file 9 .... tagging
file 9... I was debating stopping it ( was it gonna fill the drive with
'bad file info", and overwrite valid stuff that I COULD get to using diag
CD ? ), but let it go figuring I had most of the new stuff off the drive,
so worst case I'd reformat/reinstall. After 10 minutes of "fixing the
drive", XP booted and when I logged onto the desktop I can SEE my stuff on
the laptop drive (USB cable) ---- Yeahhhhhh.
Now I can just image that drive to a spare fullsize HDD in my desktop
using Ghost and then try it again in the laptop. MAYBE ( if "file 9" isn't
important) it'll boot. Progress anyways... this way I'll get all my stuff
off there and if I have to reimage, it's not a big deal.

For now backing up - will update again when drive back in the laptop as to
boot or no boot.

Old March 4th 08, 01:47 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default HP XP in boot loop - Fix-It 8 - MSFT vs HP XP cd's

Top posting - Final result:

After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop box
as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the desktop
PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and after the
repair all is well with the drive.
I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
folders as they were.

I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on Compaq
boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever displayed, but
I'll investigate and report back.

Thanks to all.

Old March 4th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
BillW50

In ,
- Bobb - typed on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:47:43 -0500:
Top posting - Final result:

After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop
box as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the
desktop PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and
after the repair all is well with the drive.
I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
folders as they were.

I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on
Compaq boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever
displayed, but I'll investigate and report back.

Thanks to all.

OEM versions of Windows XP does not contain any repair Windows option.
At least I have never seen one anyway. Only the retail version of
Windows XP does. OEM versions of Windows 2000 does contain the repair
option from the ones I have seen though.

--
Bill

Old March 4th 08, 07:49 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Bill,
Do you know ...
Could I use retail version of Windows XP to REPAIR an OEM install ?
I didn't try it, just asking to see if you know, 'cuz I think it MIGHT
have worked.
Thanks

"BillW50" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Conflict betw MSFT Comfort Keyboard & Screensaver belvedere Dell Computers 4 February 1st 07 06:30 AM
cd drive only reads dvd, no cdrom, music cd's or data cd's. adventurecube General Hardware 0 May 14th 04 04:59 AM
2 CD's won't boot Noboddie General 5 January 24th 04 06:58 AM
bad battery -> boot loop Tanya General 6 December 6th 03 09:40 PM
Nero 6 Has it got problems creating boot CD's ? Paul@Work Cdr 1 August 13th 03 02:18 PM