Blue Screen When Ejecting CD/DVD ???

Old December 11th 07, 09:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Erehwon[_2_]

Default Blue Screen When Ejecting CD/DVD ???

I'm suddenly getting the blue screen saying with a "stop error" saying "A
problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent
damage... This occurs consistently whenever I eject a CD or DVD from either
my CD/DVD-ROM drive or CD/DVD+RW drive regardless of whether I use the
button on the drive or select "eject" from the right click menu for the
drive. CDs & DVDs still read fine and can still write to the RW. It may
just be a coincidence but I first noticed this after trying to read a DVD of
wedding pictures a few days ago. The DVD had about 1100 pictures. The last
50 would not read and, in fact, locked up the computer to the point that I
received a "My Computer has stopped responding and must be shut down..."
error. I've tried going back to a restore point prior to the date I first
tried the wedding DVD. I've also run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and AVG all without
success. Computer is a 2004 Dell Dimension 8300, 3 GHZ P4, with NEC
ND-2100AD DVD+R/W and JLMS XJ-HD166 DVD-ROM. Running XP Home SP-2 and
current on all the updates.

Old December 11th 07, 09:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:03:58 -0600, "Erehwon"
wrote:

[...]

Did you do a system restore back to a point where the problem wasn't
happening?

The first thing I'd do is reinstall the driver, which you could get
from Dell's web site.

You could also see what other processes are running, especially ones
that have to do with whatever software you have (Nero, Roxio...). I'd
cancel some of the tasks, esp. if they deal with DLA and see if that
helps.

If that doesn't help, I'd buy a drive from a store that has a return
policy, and see if that works. If it does, then it solves your
problem.

Please let us know what the problem was and how you resolve it.
Old December 11th 07, 12:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Erehwon" wrote in message
[...]

Try to re-create the BSOD :

1) Try reading another created DVD with photo files.

2) Have a hard look at the application used to view the photos during the
lock up.

3) Check the DVD drive itself using DVD movies, CDs with photos, DVD and CD
burning.

Stew

Old December 11th 07, 03:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

I'm suddenly getting the blue screen saying with a "stop
error" saying "A problem has been detected and Windows
has been shut down to prevent damage... This occurs
consistently whenever I eject a CD or DVD from either
my CD/DVD-ROM drive or CD/DVD+RW drive regardless
of whether I use the button on the drive or select "eject"
from the right click menu for the drive. CDs & DVDs
still read fine and can still write to the RW.

It sounds like the drives themselves are fine. However, you might
check to see if any firmware updates for your drives are available.

I somehow suspect that the timing of this incident means it does have
something to do with the attempt to view the photos on the DVD. Did
anything on the DVD require a program, viewer or some kind of "rights
management" framework to be installed?

It is a long shot, but if you're certain nothing was installed, shut
the computer completely down and unplug the power cord. Leave it that
way for several minutes, and then plug it in again. If the disc was
bad, it could have caused the drive or motherboard logic to become
confused. Since the motherboard is pretty much powered up all the
time, pulling the plug to "hard reset" it may fix the problem.

William
Old December 11th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I'm suddenly getting the blue screen saying with a "stop error" saying "A
problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent
damage... This occurs consistently whenever I eject a CD or DVD from either
my CD/DVD-ROM drive or CD/DVD+RW drive regardless of whether I use the
button on the drive or select "eject" from the right click menu for the
drive.

This is a long shot, but I seem to recall similar problems following
the installation of certain game software, which came packaged with an
uninvited guest in the form of a rootkit and / or copy protection
software (I think it was developed by Macrovision).

It hacks the normal IDE drivers IIRC, but the "additions" do not show
on a normal "hardware devices" listing under My Computer.

Ubisoft and Codemasters were two of the companies who installed this
**** on systems, more info can be found he

http://www.glop.org/starforce/
Old December 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Ubisoft and Codemasters were two of the companies who installed this
**** on systems, more info can be found he
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

FWIW I just checked my system, and discovered the phuckers have it on
my system too...

I did install a free (legit!) download version of Trackmania a while
ago, for which I can see no legal or otherwise reason to have
installed this as part of the free game.

****s !

There's no other description for these ****s compromising users'
systems in this way.
Old December 12th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Ubisoft and Codemasters were two of the companies who installed this
**** on systems, more info can be found he
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

FWIW I just checked my system, and discovered the phuckers have it on
my system too...

I did install a free (legit!) download version of Trackmania a while
ago, for which I can see no legal or otherwise reason to have
installed this as part of the free game.

****s !

There's no other description for these ****s compromising users'
systems in this way.

another culprit is sony who produced may music cds that installed a rootkit
without informing the user.
they were taken to court and ordered to offer replacement cds for each of
the titles they published with this unscrupulous software. i suspect few
eve heard about the settlement and even fewer took the time to review the
titles that were infected or bothered to send them in for replacement.
a good free rootkit scan is available from grisoft...
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...otkit/us/frt/0

Old December 12th 07, 02:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

a good free rootkit scan is available from grisoft...
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...otkit/us/frt/0

I usually use Blacklight from F-Secure along with Bitdefender Beta for
rootkit hunting...

Not found any in the wild as yet, but that's a Good Thing (TM)
Old December 12th 07, 10:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Erehwon[_2_]

"Erehwon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the suggestions but, so far, no success.
The only thing on the DVD that seems to have started this mess were .jpg
files and the only program I used to view them was Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer. I also tried copying individual files as well as the whole DVD to
my hard drive.
Both drives just use the Windows default drivers and I did try uninstalling
and reinstalling the drives as well as going back to a restore point prior
to this issue.
I've tried starting with a blank CD-RW and it seems I can write a few files
and the drive works fine but then starts causing the BSOD on eject again.
No pattern to how many files or what types.
I've tried shutting down and unplugging the machine for a few hours.
Downloaded and ran Grisoft AVG Anti-Rootkit Free and didn't find any
problems.
Any troubleshooting I've found relates to a BSOD preventing Windows from
starting which, fortunately, I don't have (yet), or drives that won't read
or write which mine do.
I'm still under extended warranty so I guess I could try to get the drives
replaced but I can't imagine both developing the same problem at the same
time. Other than that I don't have any ideas other than reformatting which
doesn't seem like much fun.
Is there any way to translate the error code "Stop: 0xC0000007E (0xC0000005,
0x806FF94F, 0xF7B7cC30, 0xF7B7c92C)"? It stays the same except that the
(lower case) "c" may also be a 0, 4, or 8 (always the same in both
locations).

Old December 12th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Erehwon" wrote in message

"Erehwon" wrote in message
[...]

Could also be a timing/services issue. Have you been into the event viewer
under both "application" and "system" and looked for errors by date/time
stamp to see if there's any correlation or pattern?

If you can view the DVD and files in safe mode and don't experience the
BSOD's there, then it's possible it might be a services issue
(start/run/services.msc)...

Geforce FX 5200 128MB Blue Screen (White is blue) Wildbill Nvidia Videocards 3 April 14th 04 06:40 AM
Blue screen Tony Dell Computers 2 January 24th 04 10:37 PM
blue screen mikey Dell Computers 6 December 17th 03 08:17 AM
blue screen me Dell Computers 1 November 1st 03 04:40 PM
msn 6.0 blue screen Pieter Webcams 1 August 20th 03 06:11 AM