Previously burned DVD's now having problems playing

Old March 23rd 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kevin

Default Previously burned DVD's now having problems playing

I'm having some problems with some of my DVD's that I have burned to back up
video files. I burned these as data DVD's, so there is no encoding of video
files going on that could cause issues later. The files are still in their
original formats such as .wmv, .mpeg, .avi and so on. I now have about 100
GB worth of these files burned to DVD's.

Now, these disks are showing problems like freezing Windows Media Player
when trying to stop play or fast forward through the video in play.
Sometimes WMP just will not play the video at all. I also have Divx Player
and Media Player Classic installed and they also have problems with these
disks. The oldest of these disks is only about one year old.

When these various files were residing on my hard drive, they all played
flawlessly, regardless of the player or format of the file. They are burned
on high quality blanks and all burns were perfect. I throw out any burns
that report failures or other errors during the burn process. What could be
causing these problems with my files? I would be very annoyed if I find
that at some point in the near future, I can't play these disks at all.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Man-wai Chang

When these various files were residing on my hard drive, they all played
flawlessly, regardless of the player or format of the file. They are burned
on high quality blanks and all burns were perfect. I throw out any burns

You meant after copying the movies from your DVD to the harddisk, the
movies could be played without problems?

1. what's the brand and model of your DVD drive?
2. did you enable DMA on the channel connecting to the DVD drive?
3. what're the brands and models of your DVD discs?

--
iTech Consulting Services Limited
Expert of ePOS solutions
Old March 23rd 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mistoffolees

Kevin wrote:

[...]

The only near-permanent CD's and DVD's are those that are manufactured
by stamping. "Burning" means just that...a light-sensitive substrate is
exposed to a laser beam, resulting in the pits and lands. Because the
substrate is light-sensitive, it will decay with time, especially when
stored in places that are exposed to light. The brighter the storage
area, the faster the rate of corruption of the "burned" material.
Old March 23rd 07, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ghostrider

Kevin wrote:

"Mistoffolees" wrote in message

Kevin wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but with disks only a year old? My disks are kept in my office, not
exposed to anything but indirect office lighting. If we can only expect one
year of trouble-free storage, we need to quickly find a more permanent
solution to CD's and DVD's.

The issue is how are these DVD's stored? Light is light and it will
degrade burned discs. Safely storing CD-R's and DVD-R's means putting
them away, face down in jewel boxes and away from light, as in a file
cabinet, file safe, etc. And, BTW, from the physics standpoint, office
lighting has its own pecularities in regards to specific wavelengths,
esp. fluorescent lighting. And as for more permanent media, how about
MO, magneto-optical.
Old March 23rd 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kevin

"Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
When these various files were residing on my hard drive, they all played
flawlessly, regardless of the player or format of the file. They are
burned on high quality blanks and all burns were perfect. I throw out
any burns

You meant after copying the movies from your DVD to the harddisk, the
movies could be played without problems?

1. what's the brand and model of your DVD drive?
2. did you enable DMA on the channel connecting to the DVD drive?
3. what're the brands and models of your DVD discs?

These are all downloads I have collected over the years. Some are just
short clips of a few megabytes in size, while others are full-length videos
of 300 to 700 megabytes in size. All of these files (of various file
formats like .wmv, .mpeg, .avi) played perfectly while on my hard drive. I
decided to archive them and began burning them to DVD's. All are burned to
DVD-R, single layer, 4.7 GB capacity disks.

The majority are on Verbatim blanks. I have about 3 or 4 blanks that are
branded by other makers. I have double checked that DMA is enabled for the
burner. Over the course of the last year, I have burned on an LG drive and
now on an NEC burner. All using the latest firmware updates available.

Old March 24th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

.. -----------------------------------
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

Kevin wrote:
"Mistoffolees" wrote:
Kevin wrote:

[...]

Do a ScanDisc of Nero CD-DVD Speed and see if there are yellow blocks:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com
Old March 24th 07, 06:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
SteveB

"Kevin" wrote in message

[...]

I'm a few months out of date with the latest models, but over recent years
NEC have produced burners that are great writers but often they're terrible
readers, where they can't even read their own burns with some media that
plays fine on other drives. They can read normal Cds and DVDs fine though.
I use a NEC burner with a Lite-On 16P9S reader and between the two they can
read anything. Can you still use that LG drive as a reader?

Old March 24th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike Richter

Mistoffolees wrote:

Kevin wrote:

[...]

The most likely cause of such premature failure is degradation of the
disc as Mistoffolees suggests. However, light is not the only way to
speed up disc breakdown. While more rugged than CDs, DVDs are also
subject to damage from incorrect markers applied to an unarmored top
surface.

It's also possible that the discs were poorly written in the first place
- not so badly that they gave immediate failure notice but with low
enough SNR that over time rereads (causing the reported stuttering)
become necessary. Of course, that usually occurs when the disc is
written at the high speeds claimed; lowest-error performance on
high-speed DVD media seems to come in the 2x-4x region. In any event,
try CDSpeed (at least) on freshly burned samples at various speeds.

Quick and dirty is not uncommon regardless of what your drive and medium
are rated to deliver.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old March 24th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

.. -----------------------------------
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Lying Friggin ****) crapped:

snip crap

How about this cause, Mikey?

===================
From: "SteveB"
Date: 3/23/07

over recent years NEC have produced burners that are
great writers but often they're terrible readers,

where they can't even read their own burns with some media
that plays fine on other drives.

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?