Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex DVDs?

Old August 2nd 06, 05:20 AM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

Default Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex DVDs?

Is it me or do Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex DVDs (dark aqua
color)? I seem to get bad block errors in Windows XP Pro. SP2 when reading DVD burns.
I tried two DVDs already.

I tried Office Depot brand DVD+RWs (dark gray?), and had no problems. The Memorex are
fine because I used it in a HP DVD drive without problems.

Thank you in advance.
--
"This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie
/\___/\
( )
Old August 2nd 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

The real cause of the trouble is likely to be a poor quality burn. There's
no predicting what reading drive will have trouble reading a low quality
burn. But it's common for one drive to be able to read it when another
cannot.

Strongly suggest you replace the discs and stop buying Memorex media. Or at
least burn them at a lower speed.

et...

Old August 2nd 06, 07:09 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

Ah. When I tried the Office Depot brand, it was basically a copy of the Memorex's DVD
that I was having problems with. I did this on a coworker's computer that took about 15
minutes to copy (2 GB of datas). so, you really thinking burning slower to a Memorex DVDs
will work? How slow do we need to go? 1X? That is going to take forever.

I am not sure if I can tell my employer to stop using this brand since Memorex brand is
popular for DVDs here. I will have to see if I can get a new INTERNAL DVD drive. External
one with USB2 is soooooooooo slow!!

In alt.comp.periphs.cdr Dan G wrote:
The real cause of the trouble is likely to be a poor quality burn. There's
no predicting what reading drive will have trouble reading a low quality
burn. But it's common for one drive to be able to read it when another
cannot.

Strongly suggest you replace the discs and stop buying Memorex media. Or at
least burn them at a lower speed.

et...

Old August 3rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

USB2 shouldn't really be too much slower, it should be able to burn at 8x,
but probly not much faster. It depends on the speed and condition of the
system hard drive.

Memorex sells media from a variety of makers, as does Office Depot. There's
no telling what you will get. If it's a 8x burner and 8x media, try burning
at 6x or 4x. If it's a 16x burner and 16x media, 12x or 8x should do. Media
quality from either brand can range from total crap to pretty good.

If it's a 8x burner and your feeding it 16x media, that's the problem. Few
8x burners have firmware support for 16x media, and 4x burners certainly do
not. The resulting discs will be crap.

In any case, if a LiteOn 167 is having trouble reading the discs, they
should be replaced immediately before they fail completely.

wrote in message
et...
[...]

wrote in message
et...
Is it me or do Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex

DVDs
(dark aqua
color)? I seem to get bad block errors in Windows XP Pro. SP2 when

reading
DVD burns.
I tried two DVDs already.

I tried Office Depot brand DVD+RWs (dark gray?), and had no problems.

The
Memorex are
fine because I used it in a HP DVD drive without problems.

Thank you in advance.
--
"This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the

next
dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web

Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):

http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by

e-mail.
( )

Old August 21st 06, 01:02 AM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

It is only Memorex DVDs that are the problem. A coworker with similiar drive had the same
problem so it is not just me. We also tried Imiation(sp?) DVDRW (can't remember if it was a
plus or minus) brand and that had no problems!

In alt.cd-rom Dan G wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
et...
Is it me or do Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex

DVDs
(dark aqua
color)? I seem to get bad block errors in Windows XP Pro. SP2 when

reading
DVD burns.
I tried two DVDs already.

I tried Office Depot brand DVD+RWs (dark gray?), and had no problems.

The
Memorex are
fine because I used it in a HP DVD drive without problems.

Thank you in advance.

--
"Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight line, a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over and pick up their dead friends and carry those around. I'm pretty sure it's because they can get in the carpool lane and pass up that line." --Ellen DeGeneres
/\___/\
( )
Old August 21st 06, 01:04 AM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

In alt.cd-rom Robert Hancock wrote:
wrote:
Ah. When I tried the Office Depot brand, it was basically a copy of the Memorex's DVD
that I was having problems with. I did this on a coworker's computer that took about 15
minutes to copy (2 GB of datas). so, you really thinking burning slower to a Memorex DVDs
will work? How slow do we need to go? 1X? That is going to take forever.

Memorex discs are generally junk. If you really care about the data,
Verbatim is probably the way to go.

Yeah, well my workplace doesn't care I guess and always use whatever is available from their
mail order contract. :P

Here's what's funny. I have an old Memorex CD-RW from a few years ago. Lite-On Drive had no
problem with it! I also noticed the colors were different. CD-RW was grayish color while the
DVDRW was dark aqua color or something.
Old December 27th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

In alt.cd-rom wrote:
In alt.comp.periphs.cdr
wrote:
Is it me or do Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex DVDs (dark aqua
color)? I seem to get bad block errors in Windows XP Pro. SP2 when reading DVD burns.
I tried two DVDs already.

I tried Office Depot brand DVD+RWs (dark gray?), and had no problems. The Memorex are
fine because I used it in a HP DVD drive without problems.

I tried another DVD brand that it hates. It hates Maxwell.

And now it is starting to hate Office Max DVD+Rs. Ugh!

I found out there is a new firmware for this drive:
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DOWNLOADS...re/1679S1B.zip
.... I upgraded, but haven't tested it. Last updated was 3/22/2006 and
said: "Match More Media". Hmm, maybe it does fix my problems!
--
"When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
/\___/\
( )
Old December 28th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

Is it me or do Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T have problems reading Memorex DVDs (dark aqua
color)? I seem to get bad block errors in Windows XP Pro. SP2 when reading DVD burns.
I tried two DVDs already.

I tried Office Depot brand DVD+RWs (dark gray?), and had no problems. The Memorex are
fine because I used it in a HP DVD drive without problems.

I tried another DVD brand that it hates. It hates Maxwell.

And now it is starting to hate Office Max DVD+Rs. Ugh!

I found out there is a new firmware for this drive:
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DOWNLOADS...re/1679S1B.zip
... I upgraded, but haven't tested it. Last updated was 3/22/2006 and
said: "Match More Media". Hmm, maybe it does fix my problems!

Stop buying "bargain" media and get good stuff.

I didn't buy it. My employer did. Please read the earlier posts
carefully from me.