Need a bootable ISO of Dell Inspiron 1100's diagnostic,driver CD

Old January 7th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Need a bootable ISO of Dell Inspiron 1100's diagnostic,driver CD

The diagnostic,driver disk(which generally comes with all new Inspiron
1100 machines and which contains all drivers and diagnostics for the
Inspiron 1100) which came with my machine got corrupted. My machine is
out of warranty so Dell will not support it. Also, Dell informed me
they don't give(or even sell) such CD's alone(They give it only if you
buy a new machine, three customer service reps told me this).

I need to run some diagnostic tests on my machine to check if my fan
and temperature sensor are fine or not.

To run the diagnostics I need the CD(which contains all the
drivers,diagnostic utilities) which comes with a new Inspiron 1100.
They don't work if I get them directly from the Dell site. They fail
saying cannot find the diagnostic partition. It occured as my machine
came with XP Home. I removed it, installed Win 2k, then XP Prof and now
XP home. So apparently, I removed the diagnostic partition when I
removed the original XP home which came with my machine and installed
Win 2k.

I don't know anybody who has such a CD. I have all the contents which
were in the CD(I got them from somebody whose CD also failed but who
had backed up the contents on a hard disk before it failed). But, I
cannot make a bootable disk using that which is needed for the
diagnostics to run. Because to create a copy of the bootable
diagnostic CD which came with my Dell I either need such a original
diagnostic CD or an ISO image of the bootable CD.

Could anybody advise how can I get ISO of such a CD?

If anybody in this group possesses such a CD can they be kind enough to
post it at http://xdrive.com from where I can get it. I have created an
account at xdrive. So, if anybody is willing to help me can they please
let me know so that I can pass on the account information of Xdrive
using which you can upload the ISO image of your bootable CD.

Please note I am asking for something which is proper to share(Dell
diagnostic CD), which I already have, which can be obtained from Dell's
site for free. The only problem is I need a bootable CD which can only
be created from either another such bootable CD or an ISO image of such
a CD.

Thanks a lot. Your help and time is highly appreciated.

Old January 7th 07, 11:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

hold down the alt key and keep hitting the D key at the Dell splash screen
and so long as you've not wiped the HDD and destroyed the partition it will
drop you into the diags prog on the HDD
oups.com...

Old January 8th 07, 12:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Fixer wrote:
hold down the alt key and keep hitting the D key at the Dell splash screen
and so long as you've not wiped the HDD and destroyed the partition it will
drop you into the diags prog on the HDD

It did not work. I think I have removed the partition inadvertently.
The original hard disk which came with my machine 3 years ago had XP
home in it. After 17 months that hard disk failed and Dell gave me a
new one for some amount. I am unclear if the new hard disk had the
diagnostic partition in it or not. But, on that I installed Win 2k,
then XP Prof and now XP home. But, it seems in installing one of the
OS'es I might have removed the diagnostic partition unintentionally.

oups.com...

Old January 8th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

No, the new one won't
"s" wrote in message
ups.com...

Fixer wrote:
hold down the alt key and keep hitting the D key at the Dell splash
screen
and so long as you've not wiped the HDD and destroyed the partition it
will
drop you into the diags prog on the HDD

It did not work. I think I have removed the partition inadvertently.
The original hard disk which came with my machine 3 years ago had XP
home in it. After 17 months that hard disk failed and Dell gave me a
new one for some amount. I am unclear if the new hard disk had the
diagnostic partition in it or not. But, on that I installed Win 2k,
then XP Prof and now XP home. But, it seems in installing one of the
OS'es I might have removed the diagnostic partition unintentionally.

oups.com...

Old January 8th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
CTRL+ALT+D

I thought that keystroke just initialized the (short) SMART hard drive
test......

Stew

Old January 8th 07, 04:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

"s" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to run some diagnostic tests on my machine to check
if my fan and temperature sensor are fine or not.

To run the diagnostics I need the CD(which contains all the
drivers,diagnostic utilities) which comes with a new Inspiron
1100. They don't work if I get them directly from the Dell site.

They do work, but you just need to add a boot image. Then you can make your
own diagnostic CD:

(1) for the Inspiron 1100, download the proper delldiag version,
CDD1236.EXE. Extract the contents into a temporary directory on your hard
drive.

(2) from www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm, scroll down to "Non-Windows Based
Image Files" and download the win98sc.zip file. Extract the win98sec.img
file from the zipfile.

(3) launch Nero or Roxio and start a new bootable CD project. When you're
asked for a boot image, point Nero/Roxio to the win98sec.img file instead of
inserting a floppy disk. Drag the entire contents extracted from
CDD1236.EXE into the CD project, and burn the CD.

The three steps above will work as-is but you'll need to manually launch
delldiag. Just boot from the new CD and it will leave you at the A:
prompt. From there, switch to the CD drive letter (IIRC, win98sec.img uses
'R:' by default) and type "delldiag" to launch the diagnostics program.

If you want to get fancy, you can work on editing the autoexec.bat file in
the win98sec.img to automatically launch delldiag when the CD boots, but
that will involve more effort than it's worth.

Old January 8th 07, 06:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On 7 Jan 2007 15:10:26 -0800, "s" wrote:

[...]

I've got one, in fact I had to use it the other day to reinstall stuff
on my 1100. Nice laptop just a bit heavy.

If it's legal to clone it, I can clone it and upload it. Anyone know
if it's legal to do so???
Old January 8th 07, 07:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Many thanks to all who attempted to help me.

But, for some reason CTRL+ALT+D did not work.

They do work, but you just need to add a boot image. Then you can make your
own diagnostic CD:

(1) for the Inspiron 1100, download the proper delldiag version,
CDD1236.EXE. Extract the contents into a temporary directory on your hard
drive.

(2) from www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm, scroll down to "Non-Windows Based
Image Files" and download the win98sc.zip file. Extract the win98sec.img
file from the zipfile.

This worked fine till here for me. But, when I asked my Nero(6.6.0.8)
Enterprise edition to burn an image using the win98sec.img it failed by
saying "Incompatible image format". To make a bootable CD on my version
of Nero I need to choose option of Burn Image to Disc which looks for
an ISO file. But, when I chose all files and then win98sec.img it gave
me the error note. Perhaps, I was doing something incorrectly.

So, I used MagicISO to create a ISO image for which I used win98sec.img
as the bootable image and for remaining files I added the files
extracted from CDD1236.EXE.

Then, using Nero I was able to create a bootable CD using that ISO
image which worked fine as per your instructions. I booted using that
CD and on going to R: and typing delldiag the Diagnostic Utility
launched. I was able to do my tests using that.

(3) launch Nero or Roxio and start a new bootable CD project. When you're
asked for a boot image, point Nero/Roxio to the win98sec.img file instead of
inserting a floppy disk. Drag the entire contents extracted from
CDD1236.EXE into the CD project, and burn the CD.

The three steps above will work as-is but you'll need to manually launch
delldiag. Just boot from the new CD and it will leave you at the A:
prompt. From there, switch to the CD drive letter (IIRC, win98sec.img uses
'R:' by default) and type "delldiag" to launch the diagnostics program.

Thanks a lot for all who helped me.

If it's legal to clone it, I can clone it and upload it. Anyone know
if it's legal to do so???

Yes, it is you were about to give me something which is already on the
Web(Dell's site) and with me also but not in a required(bootable CD)
format. Initially I thought the only way I could make a bootable Dell
diagnostic CD was using a ISO image of that CD. Hence, I made that
request. Thanks a lot for your offer. Now I hope I should be fine.

Again, I appreciate the group's assistance,responses and time.