discs

Old November 8th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
rdf1941 via HWKB.com

Default discs

I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r, dvd+r,
dvd-rw,& dvd+rw.
Primarily I want to record photo's for archiving & preserving these photo's.
Some times I might want to save text files as well as programs. Which discs
should I use?
Thanks,Bob / rdf1941

--
RDF

Old November 8th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
David Webb

DVD Formats Explained
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...sExplained.asp

Old November 8th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike Richter

rdf1941 via HWKB.com wrote:
I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r, dvd+r,
dvd-rw,& dvd+rw.
Primarily I want to record photo's for archiving & preserving these photo's.
Some times I might want to save text files as well as programs. Which discs
should I use?
Thanks,Bob / rdf1941

You should use whatever single-layer, write-once discs work best for
you. Double-layer are fine, but disproportionately expensive and should
be saved for when you need the extra capacity. Rewritable discs appear
to have the same weaknesses as CD-RW: low reliability and forgetfulness.
(They are also relatively expensive since they appear to support
relatively few erase cycles in practice.)

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old November 9th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

"rdf1941 via HWKB.com" wrote:

I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r, dvd+r,
dvd-rw,& dvd+rw.
Primarily I want to record photo's for archiving & preserving these photo's.
Some times I might want to save text files as well as programs. Which discs
should I use?
Thanks,Bob / rdf1941

Read the article linked by David Webb.

Check out Verbatim at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...AFC-C8Junction
..

Read about the slimiest lying friggin sob Mike Richter's poppycock on
DVD and RW media:

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is a)
(LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels & misquotes! )
'

Mike Richter, Is CD-RW Media Homeless?

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW (forgetful)

Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (dvd)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (DVD error rates)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on TOC (dvd)

Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (ezcd/tao/dao)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (only dao)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (multi-GB)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (Ezcd-No)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (yes-no)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (pioneer)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (Nero)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (standard)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (erratic)

Mikey, you are the Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB!
Old November 9th 06, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (ii)

Mike Richter (the Slimiest Lying Friggin ****) crapped (11/8/06):

Rewritable discs appear to have the same weaknesses as CD-RW:
low reliability and forgetfulness.

Did you just freshly dig that out of your asshole - again?

===================================

From: smh
Date: 7/17/04
Subject: DVD-RW disks not recognized.

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered (7/16/04):

Note that results so far suggest that DVD-RW and DVD+RW are
no more reliable than CD-RW.

Thus, DVD-+RW is unreliable, I presume?

Anyhow, what results are those? What's the source? Did you just
dig that out of your asshole?

Is CD-RW unreliable, Mikey?

Once upon a time the supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile,
forgetful, unreliable CD-RW media was good enough for BACKUP,
of all things, even when combined with the supposedly *inherently*
flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable packet "format" -- according to
none other than Mike Richter:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec ****)
Date: 9/1/99
Subject: A note on Take Two

You may back up ...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=====================

I strongly recommend using write-once discs if
jetjock hopes to have the backup readable later.

Why is that Mikey? Have you established that DVD-+RW are
unreliable? All you presented -- without substantiation,
only on your say so -- is that DVD-+RW are no more reliable
than CD-RW.

If DVD-+RW are indeed unreliable --as you slimily intimate here--
why don't you dig it out of your ass and explicitly say so?

Old November 10th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter - the Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (rewrite cycle)

rdf1941 wrote:
I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r, dvd+r,
dvd-rw,& dvd+rw.

Which discs should I use?

You should use whatever single-layer, write-once discs work best for
you. Double-layer are fine, but disproportionately expensive and should
be saved for when you need the extra capacity.

Rewritable discs appear to have the same weaknesses as CD-RW:
low reliability and forgetfulness.

See:
===================================
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (ii)
===================================

(They are also relatively expensive since they appear to support
relatively few erase cycles in practice.)

DVD_R typically costs $0.25 and DVD_RW costs less than $1.00. If your
poppycock is true, that means the DVD_RW rewrite cycle is less than 4.
If your poppycock is true, there would have been a class action lawsuit
and consumer fraud charges from FTC against the manufacturers as their
stated rewrite cycle is 1000. But neither materialized.

Also, your use of "appear" means you have not verified the 'relatively
few cycles' yourself. Is it too difficult for you to burn a dvd_rw five
(5) times?

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Old November 10th 06, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter, Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

rdf1941 wrote:
I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r,
dvd+r, dvd-rw,& dvd+rw. Which discs should I use?

You should use whatever single-layer, write-once discs work best for
you.

No crap about "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier", Mikey?

Mike Richter, Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (the Slimiest Lying Friggin ****) crapped:

One of the differences between +R and -R is a bit which has different
values for DVD-ROM.

I am told that it's academic for modern drives, but
older ones fail to recognize that the disc is DVD-ROM at all.

(Is it now "I am told", not find or experience?)

(No crack about Europe or Universe?)

Mikey, Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****) crapped (8/22/05):

For DVD-ROM, the minus formats are a little better; there's a flag to be
set on the plus media to provide readability across all drives.

I've found that there is a slight advantage in DVD-Video to -R in the
U.S. and to +R in Europe; I've too few data to judge in the rest of the
world

(Any data in the Universe, Mikey?)

Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) splattered (5/1/05):

Briefly, you may regard +R and -R as equivalent. At this point,
dual-layer is available on on +R; -R is more likely to be compatible
(especially for DVD-ROM, but also for DVD-Video) with different readers
in the U.S.

(My experience is that +R is somewhat more likely to be
compatible with European drives, but that may be an effect of the
historic role of Philips there.)

Impressed with the tidbit about the "European" stuff.

But whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) crapped (2/17/05):

Which one should I buy when my drive can read and write both?
Compatibility, durability, speed in writing, which one is better
for my drive?

in my experience (which is limited),
+R is more likely to work in Europe.

Impressed with the tidbit about the "European" stuff.

But whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) barfed (2/12/05):

Which one should I buy when my drive can read and write both?
Compatibility, durability, speed in writing, which one is
better for my drive?

+ is slightly more quirky

Is it now "quirky"?
Whatever happened to "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched (12/30/04):

DVD-ROM on + media can be anomalous

Is it now "anomalous"?
Whatever happened to "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****) splattered (10/21/04):

DVD-ROM is a bit trickier on the + media.

Sounds like you have extensive experience in DVD burning.

What do you mean by "trickier"?

Did burning to the + media require you to use a needle,
a magnifying glass and a cigarette lighter?

'
-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Old November 11th 06, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter - the Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (forgetful)

See: ---------------------------------------------------------
Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Double-layer are fine, but disproportionately expensive and should
be saved for when you need the extra capacity.

Rewritable discs appear to have the same weaknesses as CD-RW:
low reliability

See: -----------------------------------
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (ii)
-----------------------------------
.
and forgetfulness.

But CD-R is not forgetful? You mean CD-R lasts forever?

From: smh
Date: 1/1/06

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****) crapped:

Forgetfulness is a property of erasable CDs

Does CD-R last forever? No?
Does that mean CD-R is also forgetful ??!!
'
-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
Old November 13th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter - the Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (unreliable)

rdf1941 wrote:
I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r,
dvd+r, dvd-rw,& dvd+rw. Which discs should I use?

You should use whatever single-layer, write-once discs work best for
you.

See: ---------------------------------------------------------
Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Rewritable discs appear to have the same weaknesses as CD-RW:
low reliability

Is it now only "low reliability"? Is the word "unreliable" no longer in
your vocabulary?

======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 7/16/03

Erasable media are ... unreliable at best.
======================
'
-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Old November 15th 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter - the Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (flaky)

rdf1941 wrote:
I have a 16x dvd+/-rw double layer drive in my system. My question is:
Which recording disc is the right one to use? I am confused by dvd-r,
dvd+r, dvd-rw,& dvd+rw. Which discs should I use?

You should use whatever single-layer, write-once discs work best for
you.

See: ---------------------------------------------------------
Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Rewritable discs appear to have the same weaknesses as CD-RW:
low reliability and forgetfulness.

Forgot about flakiness?

======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 8/25/00
Subject: Cannot format CD-RW

There are a *lot* of flaky erasable media out there now
- particularly inexpensive blanks rated at 4x.

======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 10/21/00
Subject: CD-RW's Formatting NEVER stops!?!

You are learning the hard way just how flaky
erasable media are now.

======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 10/27/00
Subject: Recover files from a CDRW disc?

Erasable media have proved very flakey in most applications
- especially those rated for 4x and above, even from major
manufacturers and labels.
======================

Note: The supposed flakiness of rewritable media was to weasel out
DirectCD bugs in the above.
'
-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
Mikey, you are the Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB!
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?

CR Writer Can't See Audio Discs Brian O Cdr 6 September 5th 06 03:25 AM
Win XP Setup does not find RAID 0 discs on ASUS A8N (non deluxe!) Jan Hermesmeier Asus Motherboards 4 March 29th 05 12:00 PM
How do I place cues within a track? Mike Richter Cdr 2 October 6th 04 08:25 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Why can't I burn + discs on my 107D +/- burner properly? Dave Reid Cdr 8 June 23rd 04 09:54 PM