Dual-boot (XP/Gentoo) with hard drive encryption...all on USB HD!!

Old July 9th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Dual-boot (XP/Gentoo) with hard drive encryption...all on USB HD!!

OK, So, I have a 40GB USB hard drive, and I want to dual boot from it
with winXP and Gentoo. Aswell as that, I want to use truecrypt to
completely encrypt my OS and hard drive for one or both OS's. I have
been googling around for a long while, and I know that this is a very
difficult task but, it IS possible.

I have checked my BIOS and it allows USB boot. I know alot of what to
do, but since it is from many different sources, I am having trouble
deciding the order and the exact nuences of the practise.

I know that I must use the HP Disk Storage Format Tool to make the USB
bootable. Can I follow this tutorial ( http://tinyurl.com/e6o76 ) once
putting the correct files on the drive to make it bootable.

If not, what should I do, If anyone would be kind enough to guide me
through this process, possibly over msn please contact me. My email is
.

Thanks
Phil

Old July 12th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:
BUMP
wrote:
[...]

think youre being pretty optimistic. No idea why youd want to encrypt
your os. I imagine you might possibly be able to encrpt an OS that ran
on top of another OS, like windos does with dos. But quite a project,
and not one I can think of any use for.

I'll eat my hat if anyone can tell you how to do it.

NT

Old July 12th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article .com,

BUMP
wrote:
[...]

You can potentially solve this in hardware. But doing so, means
trusting that there is not a back door provided by Seagate, to
law enforcement personnel. This information sheet claims this
fully hardware encrypted hard drive, can be used in an external
storage device. Perhaps contacting Seagate pre-sales support,
would make it more apparent as to how this would work via USB.

http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/...mentus-FDE.pdf

At least an all hardware solution, means only having to figure out
the dual boot part.

Paul