UDF Has just bit me in the bum

Old May 12th 06, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey? (v)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

Unfortunately, since InCD only
writes fixed-length, you'll have to choose: give up packets or change
software. It's a shame since variable-length packets have proved to be
very reliable

Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey?

============================
From: "My Name"
Date: 2/4/02
Subject: Direct cd data cd's come up as music cd's

I am using winxp os. When I use Direct cd and format a new cdr
it comes up as a music cd even though it is a data cd.

============================
[No response from the slimiest friggin SOB Mike Richter]
..

--------------------------------------
Old May 15th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey? (vi)

========================
From: louise
Date: 5/17/02
Subject: Roxio Direct CD stops when one file name is too long

I set about 300 files to be copies to a CDR via Roxio Direct CD.

When Direct CD encounters one file name that is too long, it stops,
gives a message that says it can't copy file xxx because file name
is too long.

But it doesn't continue with the rest of the files. It just stops
and I've no idea what has been copied and what has not.

========================

Old May 15th 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey? (ms kb)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB) barfed:

Unfortunately, since InCD only
writes fixed-length, you'll have to choose: give up packets or change
software. It's a shame since variable-length packets have proved to be
very reliable

Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey?

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) splattered (4/17/03):

I still think I should be able to use open CD-Rs on both
systems. I have 30 years old AKAI, 12 years old Aiwa and 2
months old Sony cassette players, all can happily play (and
record) the same tapes. The same goes for my ancient Technics CD
deck and the new Sony.

(These are snipped by Mikey):

If Adaptec implemented its standards rigorously, as they should
had, the latest DCD incarnation should be able to read old DCD 2
written disks, faster and more reliable, yes, but without a
problem. And if they started to implement a new incompatible
standard from ver x.x.x we should had been told about it. After
all DCD was being peddled as THE Backup solution.

There is no problem at all running DCD 2 - in an operating system with
which it is compatible. Microsoft changed OS and Adaptec, then Roxio,
chose to write software compatible with the OS. They somehow did not
know half a dozen years ago what Microsoft would do five years later.
Perhaps their crystal gazers were on vacation.

Is this caused by changes Microsoft made, Mikey?

Windows 2000 Cannot Read CD-R Discs Created with DirectCD

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=268094

SYMPTOMS
Windows 2000 cannot read packet-written CD-R discs with metadata
packets that are recorded at non-page-aligned addresses. This can
prevent Windows 2000 from reading CD-R discs that are created by
using Adaptec DirectCD.

CAUSE
Metadata packets are recorded at non-page-aligned addresses.
The Universal Disk Format file system (UDFS) expects all data
(even metadata) to be aligned at page boundaries.

Old May 17th 06, 09:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Proven by "See evil, hear evil, but speak no evil", Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 3/2/03
Subject: DirectCD on a different computer won't recognize CD

S.V. Proff wrote:

I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day
I brought home an "open" CD from work.

I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD
automatically.

If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough.
======================

DirectCD's are NOT compatible even between themselves!

===================
"S.V. Proff" wrote:

I have version 5.20 at work and 5.01 at home of the Roxio project
manager. I guess they must not be compatible...

5.20 and 5.01 ???!!!

Guess that's what Mikey meant by "if two DCD versions are
quite different".

That's some "quite different" for sure!

===================

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 4/28/01

I have not had enough experience with UDF 1.5 on a write-once disc
to have an opinion on that.
======================
..

Mikey, you are The Slimiest Friggin SOB!

From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 3/2/03

.

--------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

LOL!

------
Gurge my throstle!!
Old May 22nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software

Default Mike Richter figured out UDF?

'
Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

I have used UDF for many years, but yesterday I had my first
corruption.

I am now wondering whether to bother with UDF at all now!

First, your problem is not with UDF but with writing fixed-length
packets.

Figured out what UDF is, Friggin Freak?

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 5/12/04

At least, you did not write UDF!
======================
..

--------------------------------------

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/27/01
Subject: UDF, Packet Writing, and Backups

[UDF] is an unreliable format
UDF is a fragile format
=======================
..

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/28/01

Eventually, a solid UDF format may be developed
- 1.5 seems to be getting close
..

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 6/27/01