UDF Has just bit me in the bum

Old May 5th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (ii)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

Unfortunately, since InCD only
writes fixed-length, you'll have to choose: give up packets or change
software. It's a shame since variable-length packets have proved to be
very reliable

Proven like this, Mikey?

--------------------------------

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 9/30/02
Subject: Help! Can't copy files to Direct CD

Peter Kronenberg wrote:

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when I
upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4, hoping
that would fix it, but it's the same.

Basically, I can't copy more than a certain number of files to the
CD. I format a brand new CD. Somewhere between 60-70 files, or
about 10-15MB, I get two message boxes

"The requested files could not be written to the CD in Drive Q.
It is recommended to copy any critical files on this CD to a new
CD"

and

"Cannot copy 'filename'; the disk is write protected"

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium than with
the updates. Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks?

Your symptoms are familiar to those trying to write
fixed-length packets to an unproven medium.

==========================
From: Peter Kronenberg
Date: 10/1/02

Mike Richter (cRoxio ****) crapped:

snip crap

I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks
that I've been using for a while.
==========================
..

Mikey, you are The Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old May 5th 06, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (iii)

---------------------------------

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 5/7/03
Subject: cd writing problems

flavrcntry wrote:

I believe the main culprit here is Roxio. I
have heard packet writing, which is what Direct CD does,
is not that reliable.

Here are some of the problems I have seen:

1. After writing to same cd for 50 or so sessions, cd becomes
damaged, "critical files should be backed up", scandisk won't
fix it, everything down the chute.

2. I make a cd, save it to "be read on any computer", eject it,
slide it back in to test it, everything fine, next day try to
open it, bang, wont open, see #1 above.

3. I put in a cd that has either been saved as in #2, or saved in
"as is" format to be written to again, and the cd light flickers
non-stop. I get messages such as "please insert a disk into
drive D".

4. I put in a cd as in #3, the light flickers non-stop, or doesn't
come on at all. The cd won't eject. The computer has to be
rebooted to get the cd to eject. The computer may or may not
have locked up.

5. I put in a previously formatted cd to be written on, one that
has previously written data, and the Direct CD sreen comes on,
saying the cd is blank.

6. I put in a cd to be written on and the Direct CD sreen comes on,
but when I try to format it the format key won't respond to the
mouse.

Like I said, this happens on 2 different computers, with different
os (98 and xp), and on a regular basis.

You appear to be writing fixed-length packets

Congratulations: you have now discovered for yourself why few people
use that format for anything but test.

snip rest of crap

============================
From smh
Date: 5/7/03

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

You appear to be writing fixed-length packets,

Does this appear to you as fixed-length packets, Mikey?

I make a cd, save it to "be read on any computer", eject it,
slide it back in to test it, everything fine, next day try
to open it, bang, won't open

Since when fixed-length packet writing have "be read on any
computer", Mikey?

Instead, switch to
write-once discs on which packets are written reliably and
relatively safely using variable-length packets. For that,
DCD is just fine.

In that case, why then is the OP having this problem, Mikey?

I make a cd, save it to "be read on any computer", eject it,
slide it back in to test it, everything fine, next day try
to open it, bang, won't open

Isn't that variable-length packet writing, Mikey?
Is this what you call "reliably", Mikey?
============================
..

Old May 6th 06, 08:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey? (i)

=========================
From: "jt cross"
Date: 10/25/01
Subject: DirectCD formats CD-R but won't recognize CD after format

Using DirectCD v3.05(DCD) , I am have tried unsuccessfully to get
my Philips CDRW800 to format and then recognized CD-R discs. When
I insert a blank CD-R, DCD will come up and I will then format
using the DCD wizard.

After DCD tells me the CD-R has been successfully formatted it
refuses to recognize the CD-R. Right clicking on the DCD icon on
the tool bar and selecting properties, DCD reports the I have a
CD-R in the drive with unrecognized data. I get the same results
with two different brands of media. I have successfully used DCD
with CD-RW. I am running Win98.

My question is though, why is DirectCD formatting
the CD-R and then refusing to recognize the disc.

==========================
[No response from the slimiest friggin SOB Mike Richter]
..
--------------------------------------

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 9/23/03
Subject: Drag to Disk Cannot close DVD

Brian Gannon wrote:
I have Easy cd creator 6 with the new Drag to Disk instead of
Direct CD. I formated a DVD-R and over time filled it up.
I then tried to close it and it failed. The DVD now only shows
the udfreader program on it.

Is there any way to get all those files off the DVD ?? and is this
the norm with Drag To Disc ??? Heard a few other on the roxio
Website Talking About it

Was it really DVD-R and not -RW? If you have the reader in the first
session, I suspect that you used an erasable and wrote fixed-length
packets. In that case, the disc is closed to the extent that it can
be when it is formatted.

======================
From: Brian Gannon
Date: 9/24/03

Mike Richter (cRoxio ****) crapped:

snip crap

nope its an -r
====================
..

Old May 8th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mike Richter's Weasel Words on Packet Writing & Large Files (i)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

Unfortunately, since InCD only
writes fixed-length, you'll have to choose: give up packets or change
software. It's a shame since variable-length packets have proved to be
very reliable

You mean proved by weasel words like this, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 10/7/02
Subject: Direct CD - I know, I know, but could somebody help?

I'm making CDR coasters with Direct CD.

I formatted a new CDR, and successfully burned a 200 MB
mpeg file to it. I even ejected it, put it back in, played the
file, and everything seemed ok.)

But then when I tried to burn the second large file, it appeared
to write only about 20 seconds of the mpeg, and then just stopped.

There's no rule about a maximum size,
but packet writing is made for drag-and-drop of smaller files
======================

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 1/16/99
Subject: Copy Large file to CD-R using DirectCD

Early versions of DCD had problems with very large files,
but the current version should not.
=======================
..

From: kylemiller
Date: 2/11/01
Subject: DirectCD + Win2k + Large Files = Lockups

I am running SP1, upgraded Yamaha 4416S BIOS, upgraded Roxio
software (3.03), and just about anything else that can be
upgraded is.

DirectCD works except when copying large files, like 225MB.

When I copy a file, DirectCD caches, writes, caches, writes, caches,
writes, and then lock ups.

==========================

From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 1/16/99

Whenever I try to copy a big file (about 50MB) to CD-R or CD-RW
using DirectCD2.5a with Yamaha4416, the copying stops in the
middle.

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 9/27/03
Subject: copying big files onto directCD-formatted CD

I use Roxio DirectCD-formatted CD for copying/carrying files.

But with files with 15-20 megabytes file, my computer freezes
during copying those big files.

There is no upper limit to the size of file written with DCD except,
of course, for the capacity of the disc.

When TakeTwo was part of the package, it wrote a full disc in that
format.
======================

By golly, Take Two (and Mike Richter) did it!!
Maybe packet writing is made for large files??
..

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 7/25/04
Subject: recover corrupted data in CD-R (URGENT)

I am using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 basic to burn the data to CD.
i.e. just copy the data to CD, not burn from CD to CD. When I
eject the CD using DirectCD, I always chose the first option:
"Leave As Is - Leave the CD as it is so it can be read and written
to as a drive letter. Standard CD-ROM drives will not be able to
read the CD."

Unfortunately, somehow now the CD is corrupted and I couldn't open
the files in the CD. I tried to use the CD utilities (Scan Disc)
to repair the CD, but it says "This CD is damaged, but ScanDisc
can format the CD to be used with DirectCD. Existing files on the
CD will be unavailable if you format the CD."

Now I couldn't access the data on the CD.

On the assumption that this is a write-once disc (CD-R) as you said,
not an erasable:
ISOBuster may well be able to capture the files. CD/DVD Diagnostic
(or Inspector) is more powerful, but costly.
======================

Does the fact that CD/DVD Diagnostic *may* recover makes variable-length
packets "very reliable", Mikey?

Also, do you think CD/DVD Diagnostic can recover anything when the
equally powerful ScanDisc could not?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 10/12/01

In ECDC 5, ScanDisc is about as powerful as the other tool
for recovery, CD-R Diagnostic.
=====================
..

Old May 10th 06, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Proven by "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil", Mikey? (iii)

==================================
From: tedcrum
Date: 10/22/04
Subject: Does Roxio Drag to Disc 6 even work?

I have DtD 6, latest update, on my Win98se box with Plextor
PX-708A and 1210A drives (it came with the 708).

If I use DtD to format a CD-R (either drive) or a DVD+R (PX-708),
the resulting disc cannot be written with data. The software sees
it as being a read-only audio disc.
==========================

[No response to the above from the slimiest friggin SOB
Mike Richter]
..
Old May 11th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

From: alan-clements
Date: 4/5/06

I've just formatted a CD-R disc with Roxio 7.5 Drag to Disc.

I have successfully "sent" files to it - all Word documents.
My problem is that my computer (XP service pack 2) thinks
it is a music CD.