How big are hard drives?

Old January 20th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default How big are hard drives?

I have an 80GB HD that's full. I also have a 120GB HD that nearing its
limit. Both of these hard drives fit in the same space provided for the
ID0. These are 7200rpm units.

If I were to buy a new HD to replace the 80GB unit, what is the maximum
capacity of HDs that will fit in the standard space allotted? I'd like
the next one to be as large as possible without requiring additional space.
Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to which brand is the quietest,
especially seeking. My 80GB unit is Maxtor, and is pretty much silent. The
120GB is an IBM, and it makes noise when seeking.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Old January 20th 06, 04:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

(500 GB Seagate IDE, $377 + $5 shipping in the US.)

You might find the 250 GB drives more economical, though: Newegg has them
for around $100. (I presume that you don't have Serial ATA controllers, so
make sure to get regular IDE drives, also known as parallel ATA.)

Some mainboards cannot support LBA48 addressing, though. If you're a Windows
user, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013/en-us

"How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives
in Windows XP"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/en-us

"48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000"

(That's needed to properly use drives larger than 137 GB.) There are ways
around that, like adding an inexpensive third-party IDE controller card.
Some vendors like Western Digital and Maxtor bundled such cards with their
larger retail packaged drives. I've seen similar packages recently, but they
were SATA cards instead. That's another option.

Old January 20th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

In article ,
says...

(500 GB Seagate IDE, $377 + $5 shipping in the US.)

You might find the 250 GB drives more economical, though: Newegg has them
for around $100. (I presume that you don't have Serial ATA controllers, so
make sure to get regular IDE drives, also known as parallel ATA.)

From a quick pricing survey that I did a few weeks ago, the cost per
gigabyte remains fairly flat up through the 300GB drives (both PATA and
SATA). All of the 200/250/300 drives were around $0.40/GB, not
including any sale prices or rebates. The 400GB drives are slighly more
expensive ~$0.50/GB and the 500GB drives are the worst of the lot (as
expected) at $0.75/GB.
Old January 21st 06, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:54:35 -0500, Toshi1873
wrote:

You might find the 250 GB drives more economical, though: Newegg has them
for around $100. (I presume that you don't have Serial ATA controllers, so
make sure to get regular IDE drives, also known as parallel ATA.)

Can you explain PATA and SATA drives please

How are they different to IDE drives

Martin
©¿©¬
Old January 21st 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
Can you explain PATA and SATA drives please

How are they different to IDE drives

PATA is the same as "standard" IDE drive with the wide ribbon cable.

SATA is "serial" ATA - uses a thin, narrow cable, faster thruput than
PATA, but needs a motherboard with built-in SATA connectors or an
add-on SATA interface card.

don't bother replying to
or even

just reply to the newsgroup and i will catch it there