Burned DVD, verification fails

Old December 15th 05, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Burned DVD, verification fails

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

ectoplasm wrote:

Hello there.

Tried to burn with Maxell DVD+R... same result. Then, flashed the
burner to firmware 1.37, it does not solve the problem either.

I don't have a VIA chipset (not a single VIA hardware listed in device
manager, all Intel). So that's also not it.

Still I only used Nero to burn the DVDs. I have no other software to
try. But I doubt that this is Nero related (can it? This burner is
quite a good one http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/220/1, should always
work on the most used software). A moment I thought it might be my
harddisk had a problem so did a full chkdsk which didn't solve it
either.

Now, I'm going to try using the burner on someone else's PC and see if
it has the same problem. If so, I think this burner is not a good one
(i.e., broken).

That's always a good troubleshooting method. Hope the drive exhibits
the same problem, ending your frustration.
Old December 15th 05, 05:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

:-) Just finished this little test. Guess what: verification
successful.

This means the burner is a good one, not broken.

So what is going on here? Can it still be related to chipset drivers?
(mine are Intel). Or other hardware? Detail: the burner is an internal
model, but encaged and using USB cable. But the test we just did was
also using USB (so, external).

How can I make extra sure that I don't have VIA chipset? Or Intel
chipset can have this same problem. Can the USB driver be a suspect?

Old December 15th 05, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

THIS might be IT. All DMA must be turned ON on the controllers (pri &
sec IDE controller). See this page:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/263488

(also, on TRANSFER MODE, the PIO option should not be there, otherwise
must re-install controller driver & reboot) (and if that doesn't work,
uninstall DVD burner driver & reboot, first).

But, since I use USB to connect my burner, do the IDE controllers apply
at all??

Old December 15th 05, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )

ectoplasm wrote:

THIS might be IT. All DMA must be turned ON on the controllers (pri &
sec IDE controller). See this page:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/263488

(also, on TRANSFER MODE, the PIO option should not be there, otherwise
must re-install controller driver & reboot) (and if that doesn't work,
uninstall DVD burner driver & reboot, first).

DMA should be on.

But, since I use USB to connect my burner, do the IDE controllers apply
at all??

Don't know. Maybe IDE controller DMA settings affect USB port operation?
Check the USB controller in Device Manager for both "View by type" and
"View by connection" selected from the View menu.
Old December 15th 05, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On 13 Dec 2005 21:39:23 -0800, "ectoplasm"
wrote:

Thanks for sharing that, MCheu.
Sure it is conventional thought, and I believed it, that burning at
slower speeds results in better burn. I mostly do this hoping that the
data will last long.
I already started doubting this since yesterday but your story seems
quite convincing that slow burning is better or at least doesn't prove
the opposite.

Might want to reread what I wrote, as that's definitely not what I
wrote. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the opposite of what I wrote. I
said I was getting better results (ie. lower errors) at *HIGHER*
speeds, and more errors at lower speeds (4x). It goes against
conventional wisdom, but there it is.

You say Maxell comes from variable sources. Would the Media ID tell
which source? Is Media ID still trustworthy? (link below, "How to
derermine media ID")

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

There are media out there with falsified Media IDs. However, if
you're buying discs that are branded with a well established brand
like Maxell, odds are pretty good that you can rely on the Media ID
being accurate.

The issue usually only comes up when you're buying unknown media.
Specifically brands one would not think of as being internationally
well known, or discs with no branding at all. Then the media ID could
be suspect, but it largely depends on how much you trust the
vendor/distributor.

Thanks.

MCheu
Old December 16th 05, 04:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Update: tried it with uninstalling IDE drivers, burner driver. And did
some registry settings (see http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm) to
reset DMA usage to 'ON'.

Then burned a DVD. Verification went well, till the last second of the
verify: suddenly, one verification error. So it seems the above had
some effect, but not 100% solved.

Then I used the Nero InfoTool. Discovered that one yesterday. In
'Configuration', my ASUS burner is not shown under the IDE controllers,
but under the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (since it's external and
USB connected). Then how come the IDE DMA affected my verification
results? Can there be a relationship? Does the USB controller use DMA?
I couldn't find any such setting under its device properties. Does it
need to emulate some IDE stuff?

Maybe I should try different burning software? But then, at someone
else's PC the burning & verification worked just fine, also using Nero
(looked like it was same version).

Or does someone know some expert (forum) where I can post my Nero burn
/ verify log?

This whole issue starts to annoy me... :-(

Bye,
E.

Old December 16th 05, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Hi MCheu. Burning at slower speeds doesn't really matter it seems from
your experience. But the last section of your post describes that you
find less compatibility problems with slow burned discs.

The media ID of my Maxell's shows Ritek if I remember correctly from
yesterday.

Regards,
E.

Old December 16th 05, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

ectoplasm wrote:

[...]

Have you checked the USB controller as I suggested? Try uninstalling
the USB controller?
Old December 19th 05, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Update from the depths of the so called "Plug & Play" hell.

So far, no improvement. Updated BIOS firmware, enabled legacy USB
support, unplugged USB mouse, disabled internal CD burner (always
rebooting in between a step), re-installed (USB) controller driver
(forced to different compatible models), also Intel latest downloaded
version, newer Nero version, IDE un- & re-installed, patching the
registry, no results and wasted 12 DVDs already.

Just found out that in Nero, burning a CD using internal burner, also
one verification failure at end of disc (always "sector *** has
different content to source") !!! What the heck is going on here. I
never used verification burning CDs so I don't even know if the stack
of CDs I burned before are OK now... I don't even know when this
problem started!!!

Here, someone with the *exact* same problem:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/270344
And, no one, NO ONE knows why.......

Who can end my suffering?

Old December 19th 05, 05:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Think I found it (again)
It's Roxio software (Easy CD/DVD/Media Creator) that I also have on my
PC.
It seems to interfere like crazy with other software especially Nero.
The problem seems to be *completely* uninstalling Roxio which is not
easy.
The following two threads are the key here.....
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/251623
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/146857