Burned DVD, verification fails

Old December 13th 05, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Burned DVD, verification fails

I just burned 3 DVDs on my new ASUS burner. The discs are RICOH, DVD-R.
25 pieces for about 10 US$.

The burns are successful but verification fails in Nero; a closer look
using binary file compare tells me that once in about every 500
megabytes there is a difference, say one byte different (e.g. 0xAF
becomes 0xAE, so just one bit different in fact).

Is this normal when burning DVDs? Can you expect to burn DVDs 100% bit
perfect? If I would burn purely binary data, e.g. in .zip files, they
would fail to unpack when read back, wouldn't they? (I mean, movie
streams would play well, they can handle errors quite well right).

Just how can you trust media like this? This kinda makes me paranoid. I
need 100% secure backup media. O my god!!!

Bye,
E.

Old December 13th 05, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

ectoplasm wrote:

I just burned 3 DVDs on my new ASUS burner. The discs are RICOH, DVD-R.
25 pieces for about 10 US$.

The burns are successful but verification fails in Nero; a closer look
using binary file compare tells me that once in about every 500
megabytes there is a difference, say one byte different (e.g. 0xAF
becomes 0xAE, so just one bit different in fact).

Is this normal when burning DVDs? Can you expect to burn DVDs 100% bit
perfect? If I would burn purely binary data, e.g. in .zip files, they
would fail to unpack when read back, wouldn't they? (I mean, movie
streams would play well, they can handle errors quite well right).

Just how can you trust media like this? This kinda makes me paranoid. I
need 100% secure backup media. O my god!!!

(If you have Via chipset, update to the latest 4in1 driver.)
(Update the burner firmware if available.)

That shouldn't be happening. Check the DVD with ScanDisc of [Nero
Toolkit, CD-DVD Speed] and see if there are yellow/red blocks.

Try Taiyo Yuden:
http://tinyurl.com/dclwv
http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-media.html
'

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
Old December 14th 05, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

You say I should try to upgrade firmware. Don't know if that could make
any difference, but I can try it of course.
Tayo Yuden, yes I know. Should have gotten those... How about Maxell?
Lastly. Burning at lower speed, will it always result in better burned
DVDs? Or is it advised always to use the max. burning speed?

Thanks!
E.

Old December 14th 05, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)

ectoplasm wrote:

You say I should try to upgrade firmware. Don't know if that could make
any difference, but I can try it of course.

(The only report of 1-byte error was caused by Via chipset driver.)
(How did ScanDisc come out?)

Firmwares usually improve write strategy (media compatibility).

Tayo Yuden, yes I know. Should have gotten those... How about Maxell?

Maxell is listed as Pro grade he
http://www.meritline.com/dvd-r-blank-media-1.html
http://www.meritline.com/dvd-plus-r-blank-media.html

Lastly. Burning at lower speed, will it always result in better burned
DVDs? Or is it advised always to use the max. burning speed?

These test scans indicate max speed is better with Taiyo Yuden 8x:
http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about1507.html
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80885&page=3
Old December 14th 05, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On 13 Dec 2005 17:48:03 -0800, "ectoplasm"
wrote:

You say I should try to upgrade firmware. Don't know if that could make
any difference, but I can try it of course.
Tayo Yuden, yes I know. Should have gotten those... How about Maxell?
Lastly. Burning at lower speed, will it always result in better burned
DVDs? Or is it advised always to use the max. burning speed?

Thanks!
E.

Maxell DVD-R is typically either TY or Ritek. Obviously TY is more
desireable, but the Ritek discs are pretty decent too. According to
discussions on CDFreaks, the MXL discs are made by Ritek.

The Maxell DVD+R discs are a bit more variable but they do source from
reputable factories. They've used discs from TY, Ricoh, Ritek,
Philips and Mitsubishi (MCC). I've not used the Philips discs before,
so I can't comment. All the others are generally pretty good quality.
Depending on who you ask, the DVD+R MXL discs might be made by Ricoh
or Ritek.

As for whether lowering speed results in better quality, I think that
largely depends on the your specific combination of burner and media.
I've been using ProDisc 8x DVD-R and TY 8x DVD-R of late on my BenQ
1620 and NEC 3500 drives. On both, I get lower error rates
overspeeding to the media (12x and 16x respectively) on both drives
than at the native 8x. Going down to 4x gives me discs that are about
the same as burning at 8x. Conventional wisdom has it that burning at
slower speeds gives you lower errors.

There may actually be an advantage to burning slower though. While
burning video at the lower speed does give me slightly higher errors
on scans, I find the discs a bit more compatible with stand alone
players. Usually, I have to do a preliminary wipe of the burned discs
as even a light amount of dust will trip them up in stand alones. I
find I have to do that less often with discs burned at slower speeds.
It's not scientific obviously.

You may have to experiment a bit to figure out what works for you.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old December 14th 05, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Well, I'm sure gonna look for a firmware upgrade of my DVD burner.
Also, I'll check if I have a via chipset.

Actually my burner is ASUS DRW-1608 P2. And, I found this page:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128873

Sounds a lot like my problem, doesn't it? My Ricoh discs are DVD-R... I
used Nero...

Yes I used CD-DVD Speed; did that yesterday already. All green
blocks...

Do you know where I have a chance finding the burner firmware? The ASUS
website doesn't have it.

And I just bought a 25 pack of Maxell DVD+Rs.

Thanks a lot,
E.

Old December 14th 05, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On 13 Dec 2005 21:21:55 -0800, "ectoplasm"
wrote:

Well, I'm sure gonna look for a firmware upgrade of my DVD burner.
Also, I'll check if I have a via chipset.

Actually my burner is ASUS DRW-1608 P2. And, I found this page:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128873

Sounds a lot like my problem, doesn't it? My Ricoh discs are DVD-R... I
used Nero...

Yes I used CD-DVD Speed; did that yesterday already. All green
blocks...

Do you know where I have a chance finding the burner firmware? The ASUS
website doesn't have it.

And I just bought a 25 pack of Maxell DVD+Rs.

Thanks a lot,
E.

If there's a firmware update available, you'll probably find it he

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
Thanks.

MCheu
Old December 14th 05, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Thanks for sharing that, MCheu.
Sure it is conventional thought, and I believed it, that burning at
slower speeds results in better burn. I mostly do this hoping that the
data will last long.
I already started doubting this since yesterday but your story seems
quite convincing that slow burning is better or at least doesn't prove
the opposite.

You say Maxell comes from variable sources. Would the Media ID tell
which source? Is Media ID still trustworthy? (link below, "How to
derermine media ID")

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Concluding. I think writing data on DVDs should be something that
cannot fail. In my opinion, technology fails badly here. It depends on
good luck whether your data is backed up 100% safely. It seems such a
fragile technology.

Old December 14th 05, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

ectoplasm wrote:

Well, I'm sure gonna look for a firmware upgrade of my DVD burner.
Also, I'll check if I have a via chipset.

Actually my burner is ASUS DRW-1608 P2. And, I found this page:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128873

Sounds a lot like my problem, doesn't it? My Ricoh discs are DVD-R... I
used Nero...

The above link could be referring to this:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=131011

The above mentions newer Nero 6 solved DVD-R issue. Udate your Nero to
the latest.

Yes I used CD-DVD Speed; did that yesterday already. All green
blocks...

Try with the latest CD-DVD Speed - Unzip and run:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com

Do you know where I have a chance finding the burner firmware? The ASUS
website doesn't have it.

Version 1.37 2005/12/05:
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

And I just bought a 25 pack of Maxell DVD+Rs.

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind wasting discs, try the same burn
you did with DVD-R -- without and with firmware upgrade?
Old December 15th 05, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Hello there.

Tried to burn with Maxell DVD+R... same result. Then, flashed the
burner to firmware 1.37, it does not solve the problem either.

I don't have a VIA chipset (not a single VIA hardware listed in device
manager, all Intel). So that's also not it.

Still I only used Nero to burn the DVDs. I have no other software to
try. But I doubt that this is Nero related (can it? This burner is
quite a good one http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/220/1, should always
work on the most used software). A moment I thought it might be my
harddisk had a problem so did a full chkdsk which didn't solve it
either.

Now, I'm going to try using the burner on someone else's PC and see if
it has the same problem. If so, I think this burner is not a good one
(i.e., broken).

Thanks,
E.