Reliable DVD Burner

Old August 28th 05, 09:17 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Default Reliable DVD Burner

I foolishly threw $40 away on a new Samsung DVD Writer that does not work. I
stupidly bought an OEM version from NewEgg, rather than simply pay another $8-10
dollars for the retail version, and now it will probably take weeks for my to
get a replacement from Samsung, if I can get any at all, and I will no doubt
spend some more money returning it to them, never mind the turn around time to
get a replacement.

Does anybody know of a reliable company selling a DVD Burner that will work
first time out of the box ? I am eager to get one quickly that actually works
and just forget about the lemon I bought.
Old August 28th 05, 10:38 PM
Dan G

The LG 4163 is tried and true, and has one of the lowest rates of returns.
Also burns very well on most good quality media.

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

Old August 28th 05, 10:55 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Dan G wrote:
The LG 4163 is tried and true, and has one of the lowest rates of returns.
Also burns very well on most good quality media.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Old August 28th 05, 11:17 PM
MCheu

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:17:36 GMT, Edward Diener No Spam
wrote:

I foolishly threw $40 away on a new Samsung DVD Writer that does not work. I
stupidly bought an OEM version from NewEgg, rather than simply pay another $8-10
dollars for the retail version, and now it will probably take weeks for my to
get a replacement from Samsung, if I can get any at all, and I will no doubt
spend some more money returning it to them, never mind the turn around time to
get a replacement.

Does anybody know of a reliable company selling a DVD Burner that will work
first time out of the box ? I am eager to get one quickly that actually works
and just forget about the lemon I bought.

If these sorts of issues bother you, consider buying locally rather
than through mail order. The few times I've had to return hardware
for replacement (OEM or retail), it's been pretty painless. Just a
walk to the store, another half hour for them to pop the part into one
of their computers to verify that it's toast, and I'm out the door
with a new one within the hour.

In fact the only time I've ever had a complication is with a RETAIL
boxed AMD CPU, which I had to ship back to AMD for replacement.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old August 28th 05, 11:47 PM
Ghostrider

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
I foolishly threw $40 away on a new Samsung DVD Writer that does not
work. I stupidly bought an OEM version from NewEgg, rather than simply
pay another $8-10 dollars for the retail version, and now it will
probably take weeks for my to get a replacement from Samsung, if I can
get any at all, and I will no doubt spend some more money returning it
to them, never mind the turn around time to get a replacement.

Does anybody know of a reliable company selling a DVD Burner that will
work first time out of the box ? I am eager to get one quickly that
actually works and just forget about the lemon I bought.

I prefer Plextor. If nearby, Fry's Electronics is having a
sale on the Plextor 740A, a DVD+/-RW, Double-Layer, at $109.
These are factory-sealed, boxed units, not returns.
Old August 29th 05, 12:07 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

Ghostrider wrote:

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

I foolishly threw $40 away on a new Samsung DVD Writer that does not
work. I stupidly bought an OEM version from NewEgg, rather than simply
pay another $8-10 dollars for the retail version, and now it will
probably take weeks for my to get a replacement from Samsung, if I can
get any at all, and I will no doubt spend some more money returning it
to them, never mind the turn around time to get a replacement.

Does anybody know of a reliable company selling a DVD Burner that will
work first time out of the box ? I am eager to get one quickly that
actually works and just forget about the lemon I bought.

I prefer Plextor. If nearby, Fry's Electronics is having a
sale on the Plextor 740A, a DVD+/-RW, Double-Layer, at $109.
These are factory-sealed, boxed units, not returns.

Thanks ! I have had good success with Plextor in the past also.
Old August 29th 05, 01:26 AM
Dan G

The most recent Plextors have had many issues with media compatibility, some
of which have been cured by firmware updates. Unless the big software
package has value to you, they are seriously overpriced. The LG and NEC
drives are a far better value in terms of burn quality and media
compatibility, and you can have 2 for the same price.

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message nk.net...

Old August 29th 05, 01:01 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Dan G wrote:
The most recent Plextors have had many issues with media compatibility, some
of which have been cured by firmware updates. Unless the big software
package has value to you, they are seriously overpriced. The LG and NEC
drives are a far better value in terms of burn quality and media
compatibility, and you can have 2 for the same price.

OK, thanks for the update.

Old August 29th 05, 04:27 PM
Mike Richter

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
I foolishly threw $40 away on a new Samsung DVD Writer that does not
work. I stupidly bought an OEM version from NewEgg, rather than simply
pay another $8-10 dollars for the retail version, and now it will
probably take weeks for my to get a replacement from Samsung, if I can
get any at all, and I will no doubt spend some more money returning it
to them, never mind the turn around time to get a replacement.

Does anybody know of a reliable company selling a DVD Burner that will
work first time out of the box ? I am eager to get one quickly that
actually works and just forget about the lemon I bought.

The more important matter for you appears to be a good bundle - one
which can be counted on to provide enough information to start you off
solidly. Features on current drives are not all that significant in
comparison. For example, double-layer capability is all well and good
but you are unlikely to have much use for it - at least, until the media
price comes down and readabiity in set-top boxes goes up. By the same
token, writing faster than 8x is not likely to be worth much to you if
you value quality; my own tests match those of experts, indicating that
error rate begins to rise rapidly above 6x on the best drive/media
combinations tested.

Pioneer has had an excellent reputation since the early days of home DVD
recording; it has maintained quality and capability to this day. Sony is
highly regarded on the fora I read and LG is favored by many. Plextor
came to DVD a bit late and has not maintained its superb CD reputation
with the drives they buy (I understand that none of their DVD writers is
from their own plant).

FYI: I use only Plextor for CD and only Pioneer for DVD. That has proved
a good arrangement for my requirements, but as always your needs may
dictate a different solution.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old August 29th 05, 04:41 PM

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...
I foolishly threw $40 away on a new Samsung DVD Writer that does not work.
I stupidly bought an OEM version from NewEgg, rather than simply pay
another $8-10 dollars for the retail version, and now it will probably take
weeks for my to get a replacement from Samsung, if I can get any at all,
and I will no doubt spend some more money returning it to them, never mind
the turn around time to get a replacement.

Does anybody know of a reliable company selling a DVD Burner that will
work first time out of the box ? I am eager to get one quickly that
actually works and just forget about the lemon I bought.

I purchased an LG 4163. It's the best drive I've ever had; much better than
the Lite-On 40125 I used to use to burn CDR's. It comes with Nero Express
and something called Cyberlink. I installed everything except InCD, which
I've been warned away from. Buy the retail version. I've not yet burned a
video disc, since my purpose was to use it for mass data storage.

Norm Strong

Presario 5834: CD Burner Questions Dave Compaq Computers 2 January 24th 05 01:58 AM
Burner has demon inside dax Cdr 2 February 16th 04 04:54 AM
BackUp MyPC: How to Slow Down the CD Burner? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 29th 03 04:10 AM
Help!! My Burner Can't Read Any Disks (Blank or Recorded) , Is it Dying On Me. Neemo Cdr 0 July 30th 03 05:57 AM
Help!! My Burner Can't Read Any Disks (Blank or Recorded) , Is it Dying On Me. Neemo Cdr 1 July 29th 03 03:52 PM