DVD Burner Problem

Old August 28th 05, 04:07 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Default DVD Burner Problem

I had never used a DVD Burner before, but decided to by an IDE one from NewEgg.
The DVD is the Samsung TS-H552U OEM version. I installed it on my computer, an
Abit At7, and the BIOS shows it. I booted into Win2k and I can see it in the
Device Manager fine. When I put in a CD or DVD I can read the drive and see the
contents in Explorer. So far, so good. I already checked and I have the latest
firmware for the drive.

I had bought along with the drive Samsung Pleomax DVD-RW 4x DVDs. The drive
specifically states that it supports DVD-RW(4x). I put one of the disks in the
drive and attempt to Burn some files on the DVD. I have never done this before
so assume it should be easy. I tried using two different software programs for
it but one completely hangs and hangs Win2k and the other says it is copy the
image to the DVD but nothing ever happens and the progress bar stays at 0.

The first program I tried to use was Paragon ISO Burner. This program just hangs
once I get to the part where it attempts to read the blank DVD in the drive in
preparation for asking me what files I want to burn on the DVD. After that I can
not even open the drive case manually to take out the drive, nor can I kill the
software. I am able to shut down the system, and then remove the DVD from the
drive once I boot up.

The second program I tried was DeepBurner Free version. This gets to the point
where it says Creating CD image, then the Device Buffer progress bar is filled,
but nothing ever happens as far as Write Progress is concerned, nor do I see the
DVD light go on at any time. Here I can at least Cancel and end the program, and
then remove my DVD disk from the drive.

The only other possibility that something is wrong is that VIA has a VIA Bus
Master PCI IDE Utility which shows what drives are off of the two IDE channels
of my mobo. When I double-click on this utility in my system tray, no drives are
shown. Maybe this denoted some problem. But like I said, when I look in the BIOS
I can see my drives and Win2k pick them up.

The other possibility is that when I installed this DVD writer I did not remove
my previous DVD-ROM drive because I wanted to make sure this worked first before
I did. Is there a problem having more than one CD/DVD drive under Win2k ? The
software with which I tried to burn the DVD always recognizes the particular
Samsung drive, so I do not think it is getting confused between my DVD drives.

I though using this drive would be easy, and am disappointed that it does not
work. I had previously bought two Samsung 160 GB hard drives and they have
worked flawlessly so far. Does any CD/DVD guru have any idea what is going wrong
here ?
Old August 28th 05, 04:19 PM
Dave Cohen

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...
[...]

Make sure you are not having master/slave conflicts in your cable setup.
Dave Cohen

Old August 28th 05, 04:51 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

They are both set to CSEL.

Old August 28th 05, 04:59 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

They are both set to CSEL.

Try setting the drives to master and slave, respectively with the jumpers on
the drives and see if that helps. I've seen situations where CSEL doesn't
work well with CD/DVD drives.
Just a shot in the dark.

Old August 28th 05, 09:03 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Peter van der Goes wrote:
"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

They are both set to CSEL.

Try setting the drives to master and slave, respectively with the jumpers on
the drives and see if that helps. I've seen situations where CSEL doesn't
work well with CD/DVD drives.
Just a shot in the dark.

I specifically set the master and slave drive jumpers for my DVD drives but
without any difference. I am right, am I not, that I put the blank DVD in the
drive with the label side up to burn it, just as I do with a normal DVD to read
it ? It is so mysterious to me that while everything looks good and DeepBurner
acts like it is burning an image on the DVD, nothing is happening and DeepBurner
reports no error but just sits there as if it is doing something but nothing is
done. Of course the other software I tried just hangs, so something is
definitely wrong. Is there any software that will test a DVD writer and report
back if something is wrong with it and what it might be ? The Samsung came with
the latest firmware already installed, so it is hard to believe that the
firmware is bad.
Old August 28th 05, 09:41 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message...
I specifically set the master and slave drive jumpers for my DVD
drives but without any difference.

That's not surprising. Provided you are using an 80 wire cable, jumpering
the drives as Cable Select *is* the de facto "correct" jumpering method for
the majority of motherboards and drives the majority of the time.

I am right, am I not, that I put the blank DVD in the drive with the
label
side up to burn it, just as I do with a normal DVD to read it ?

Without knowing anything about the particular drive model you've bought, one
would very much imagine so, yes.

It is so mysterious to me that while everything looks good and
DeepBurner acts like it is burning an image on the DVD...

I've never heard of either of the utilities you mention. One good diagnostic
step to follow would be using something known to be good. Nero would be as
good a choice as anything.

Is there any software that will test a DVD writer and report back
if something is wrong with it and what it might be ?

Nero and Alcohol 120% both include diagnostic/test utilities. I daresay
there are others.

There are a variety of potential explanations currently on the table, from
duff software to a faulty drive. If you can try some known decent writing
software that'd be a start.

Incidentally, have you tried using this drive to write a CD-ROM or CD-RW?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old August 28th 05, 10:15 PM
Enkidu

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
Peter van der Goes wrote:

[...]

Yes, label side up. Perhaps it is the software and not hardware at all.
Nero is extremely popular and has a trial version -
http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html

It is a big download, but I've found it to be an excellent program.

Old August 28th 05, 10:45 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Enkidu wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

Peter van der Goes wrote:

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote
in message ink.net...

[...]

More than one software package did not work but I will download Nero trial
version and try it also.
Old August 28th 05, 11:32 PM
Margaret Wilson

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

More than one software package did not work but I will download Nero trial
version and try it also.

As others have stated, Nero is a very good program. Not all software is
compatible with all drives, take CDR-Win for an example. Further, DVD
burners can be picky about the media they will use. As someone else
suggested, have you tried burning a CD? If you try Nero and it will not
burn either a CD or DVD, I'd suspect either incompatible media or most
likely, a bad drive.

Regards,

Margaret

Old August 28th 05, 11:44 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Richard Hopkins wrote:
[...]

I downloaded the Nero trial and attempted to burn a DVD. Nero hung on me and I
could not even kill the program, not could I remove the DVD from the drive. By
hang I meran that it said it was burning the Disk but nothing was happening. I
made sure I was burning only a small number of files, which should have taken a
very small amount of time. Finally I hit the reset button after 15 minutes or
so, and rebooted and was able to remove the DVD from the drive.

After I rebooted I tried Nero's Test Drive feature but everything is grayed out
and I can not even run a test. Nero Test Drive does show Disk Info but that is
all. Maybe because it is the trial version it does not let me test the drive.
Mysterious, eh ?

There are a variety of potential explanations currently on the table,
from duff software to a faulty drive. If you can try some known decent
writing software that'd be a start.

Well Nero doesn't work. It's hard to see what is wrong if no writing software
can actually test the drive.

Incidentally, have you tried using this drive to write a CD-ROM or CD-RW?

I bought DVD-RW 4x disks. I can buy some CD-RW disks, or even some other type (
DVD+-R or CD+-R ) or a different make of disks ( the current is Pleomax from
Samsung also ), but I feel like I am going to be going around in circles
spending money worthlessly. All the software appears to recognize the drive, and
the media in it, but as soon as I try to actually burn anything onto the media,
"that's all she wrote". What hardware, stops everything dead without so much as
a message or anything g.

I have contacted Samsung, but it will probably be days before I even hear
anything from them, and then the inevitable questions, and try this and that
etc. I admit I am pretty disgusted as this is my first foray into any kind of
CD/DVD burner and it is not working at all even though everything looks fine on
the surface.

cd burner problem Eric General 0 February 6th 05 03:40 PM
GA7N400 Pro (not Pro2) problem - advice requested Eddie B. Gigabyte Motherboards 4 January 8th 05 03:17 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
BackUp MyPC: How to Slow Down the CD Burner? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 29th 03 05:10 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM