UDF Has just bit me in the bum

Old June 1st 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,alt.cd-rom

Default Mike Richter figured out UDF? (xiv)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

I have used UDF for many years, but yesterday I had my first
corruption.

I am now wondering whether to bother with UDF at all now!

First, your problem is not with UDF but with writing fixed-length
packets.

Figured out what UDF is, Friggin Freak?

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/27/01

The format is fragile; the fault is not in the software per se.

the overwhelming majority of the complaints about any UDF software
are about the format, but the format is seen through the software
which gets the blame.

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 1/4/05
Subject: Still Looking for a DirectCD Alternative

The faults of DCD are due to limitations of the format,
not to the program which has been solid for quite some time.
======================
..

Mikey, you are The Slimiest Friggin SOB!

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/27/01
Subject: UDF, Packet Writing, and Backups

The format is fragile; the fault is not in the software per se.

the overwhelming majority of the complaints about any UDF software
are about the format, but the format is seen through the software
which gets the blame.

UDF is a fragile format
=======================

Why is UDF a fragile format?

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 4/27/01

That's because the directory information for fixed-length
packets is held in RAM.
======================

Why is the directory information held in RAM?

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/30/01

Unfortunately, it's unavoidable. The problem is that the information
cannot be written back every time or the directory area would be worn
out very quickly. Each change to the directory would necessitate
rewriting some material - even if only a pointer to where the changes
were located. Scrubbing that region would exceed the (nominal) 1000
rewrites very quickly.
======================

But what is the worth of CD-RW media whose life is extended -- at the
expense of the data it is saving? It's not even worth salvaging!

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 11/27/02

I have a couple of cdrw that don't work anymore.
You would think that you could at least
erase the cdrw and start again, right?

Even if you could erase it:

Why bother, given the cost of replacement?
=====================
..

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 4/27/01

Is the directory indeed held in RAM, ****ing Asshole?

==============================
From: DeepOne
Date: 7/9/00
Subject: CD-RW Disc broken on DirectCD

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB) barfed:

When you load a fixed-length packet disc, the directory
information is read from the disc and translated in RAM.
When you write to the disc, the data are recorded immediately
but the directory is updated only in RAM.

I don't believe this is true...

I've watched the disc write lights on my Plextor drives when
ejecting a DirectCD CD-RW disc, and the drive never does any
writing at that time.

Once, in an attempt to prove this, I wrote a bunch of files to a
DirectCD CD-RW disc. As soon as the write pulses ceased,

I pressed the computer's RESET button.

After the computer restarted, the CD-RW disc was fine, and
all the files I had just written were fully accessible.

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB )
Date: 7/9/00

You may well be correct; I have not been using fixed-length packets
for some months.
======================

Mike Richter's slimy, weasel crap:

[...not use...not know...not write...]

I do not comment on what I don't know.
I only write about what I know
I don't write about what I don't know
I do not write about what I don't know.

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 7/9/00

You may well be correct;
I have not been using fixed-length packets for some months.
======================

Not even a month went by from the above:

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 7/26/00

Fixed-length packets are deliberately written all over the disc,
but the key is likely to be

the directory information which is written every time you change
the disc's contents and then eject it.
======================

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 1/4/05

The faults of DCD are due to limitations of the format,
not to the program which has been solid for quite some time.
======================

Something does not jibe, Mikey. You admit that DirectCD has faults.
How then could DirectCD be "solid", slimily implying that DirectCD is
faults free?

Only the slimiest friggin SOB Mike Richter could have trumped up such a
bull****!

.

From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin SOB)
Date: 9/26/01
Subject: Packet writing doesn't work?

Packet writing is the same as UDF.

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 10/15/01
Subject: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?

the flaky UDF fixed-length packets
======================
..

Old June 5th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,alt.cd-rom

Default Mike Richter figured out UDF? (double-talk)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

I have used UDF for many years, but yesterday I had my first
corruption. I am now wondering whether to bother with UDF at all
'

.
First, your problem is not with UDF

Isn't this a problem?

you should be aware that
fixed-length packets are the most fragile
and least reliable format

BTW, where does the "format" come from?

your problem is not with UDF
but with writing fixed-length packets.

Is the problem now with *writing* packets, not the packet *format*?

fixed-length packets are the most fragile
and least reliable format

Incidently, packets are written in Mode 1 or Mode 2, the same Mode 1 or
Mode 2 used when mastering. Does Mode 1 or Mode 2 write defective
packets (sectors) when packet writing?

'
you should be aware that fixed-length packets are
the most fragile and least reliable format used on CD.

Supposing fixed-length packets are indeed all of those. Is that a
problem?

your problem is not with UDF

BTW, a fixed-length packet consists of 32 data sectors bounded by 7
blocks, 4 for run-in, 2 for run-out and 1 link block. What's in this
so-called "format" that makes it the most fragile and least reliable?
..