Copy better than the original?

Old April 2nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Copy better than the original?

I just copied a brand new Hyperion CD. I then ran the Nero Disc Quality
program to determine how many C1 and C2 errors there were. The results were
superb. The maximum number of C1 errors was 28; there were no C2 errors.

As a matter of curiosity, I ran the original disc through the same test. It
was much much worse. Is this possible? How can a copy have fewer errors
than the original?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Old April 3rd 06, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:24:27 -0700, wrote:

I just copied a brand new Hyperion CD. I then ran the Nero Disc Quality
program to determine how many C1 and C2 errors there were. The results were
superb. The maximum number of C1 errors was 28; there were no C2 errors.

As a matter of curiosity, I ran the original disc through the same test. It
was much much worse. Is this possible? How can a copy have fewer errors
than the original?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

C1 errors are correctable. They can be the result of smudges,
scratches, weird power spikes during reading, solar eclipses, druids
passing wind on the other side of the planet, etc.

When you made a copy, unless you copied in a RAW mode, the data was
corrected, so you started with a clean copy of the data. If the CD-R
is in pristine shape and the original pressed CD is kind of rough, but
serviceable, you might get a disc that's a bit easier for the drive to
read. Could also be that the druids were doing something else at the
time.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old April 3rd 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Hi Norm.
One thing bear in mind the faster you try to copy the greater the risk
of error's creeping up, less work for the 'sample and hold' circuit.

Have a peep at-: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

Davy