Best Digital and SLR Digital Cameras

Old January 30th 05, 03:51 PM
Graham Mayor

I still don't see a digital camera as a CDR peripheral, but it isn't
something I am losing sleep over

--

Graham Mayor

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

well, I certainly burn all my pics to cd, so yes, I would have to
agree that digital cams are relevant

Vindicated!! Thank you, QED;-))

Old January 30th 05, 06:09 PM
Paul Heslop

Noik wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:13:35 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

Thank you for that, however, surely a camera, (especially a digital), is
an instrument that produces a product, (photos), that causes us to use
the subject of this NG, (burning issues), and that therefore is not
"entirely" off topic, yes, no? I await correction.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

well, I certainly burn all my pics to cd, so yes, I would have to
agree that digital cams are relevant

Vindicated!! Thank you, QED;-))

I burn lots of Excel files to CD. How good will the OpenOffice macro
support be?

I don't know :O)

--
Paul (Lenny Bruce is not afraid)
Stop and Look
Old January 31st 05, 08:51 AM
Paul Heslop

Graham Mayor wrote:

I still don't see a digital camera as a CDR peripheral, but it isn't
something I am losing sleep over

Try sticking one under your pillow then

:O)

Old January 31st 05, 09:02 AM
Monty

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:15:23 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
Thank you for that, however, surely a camera, (especially a digital), is
an instrument that produces a product, (photos), that causes us to use
the subject of this NG, (burning issues), and that therefore is not
"entirely" off topic, yes, no? I await correction.

Derrick,

Have you asked your question of which is the best digital camera in
alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras and/or alt.comp.periphs.dcameras

Old January 31st 05, 12:30 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Monty
writes
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:15:23 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
Thank you for that, however, surely a camera, (especially a digital), is
an instrument that produces a product, (photos), that causes us to use
the subject of this NG, (burning issues), and that therefore is not
"entirely" off topic, yes, no? I await correction.

Derrick,

Have you asked your question of which is the best digital camera in
alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras and/or alt.comp.periphs.dcameras

No, but I will now thank you, hind taken. I will withdraw gracefully,
(backwards), just in case I start world war three;-))
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 31st 05, 06:06 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Derrick Fawsitt
writes
In message , Monty
writes
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:15:23 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
Thank you for that, however, surely a camera, (especially a digital), is
an instrument that produces a product, (photos), that causes us to use
the subject of this NG, (burning issues), and that therefore is not
"entirely" off topic, yes, no? I await correction.

Derrick,

Have you asked your question of which is the best digital camera in
alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras and/or alt.comp.periphs.dcameras

No, but I will now thank you, hind taken. I will withdraw gracefully,
(backwards), just in case I start world war three;-))

Just noticed, the above should read, "No, but I will now thank you,
point taken."
I apologise for my typographical error, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 1st 05, 03:26 AM
D Larsen

Derrick,

I'm glad you posted your note to this newsgroup ! We need some
off-topic discussions to divert our attention from the ho-hum topic of
CDR's g !

I have an "old" Olympus 360...the pix it produces are fine for my uses
(Power Point training presentations).

The wife has a Canon Rebel SLR....for Christmas, I got her a Digital
Rebel...the advantage is that she can use the various lenses from her
"old" film camera on the new digital, although there is some focal
length variations between the film and digital lenses. Also, you don't
waste a lot of film on crappy shots, either...just delete the mistakes
! BUT...the Digital Rebel is not cheap....

Anyway, we've been real happy with the Digital Rebel....still getting
used to some of its quirks, etc, but we've produced some neat pix with
it !

The bottom line ? It's like buying a computer....the first thing to ask
yourself is "What do I want to do with it ?". For lots of uses, a good
quality (cheap !) fixed lens digital is all you need....if you're the
really creative type, OR you have a big investment in film SLR lenses,
then an interchangeable lens digital SLR model might be for you !

My 2 cents...

Dean...

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Somewhat off topic so please excuse me but up to now I have been
persuaded that the best Digital camera was an SLR Digital. A friend
tells me that provided you don't want to change lenses you don't need an
SLR, if so, which cameras would you buy right now.
Can someone comment on that please, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Old February 1st 05, 11:03 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , D Larsen

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Somewhat off topic so please excuse me but up to now I have been
persuaded that the best Digital camera was an SLR Digital. A friend
tells me that provided you don't want to change lenses you don't need an
SLR, if so, which cameras would you buy right now.
Can someone comment on that please, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Hi Dean.

Please excuse me not replying to the above just now as a relative of
mine is seriously ill just now. I look forward to commenting your very
interesting and kind post above in the next day or two. It has raised
quite a lot of exciting options for me, all my thanks Dean. I will be
posting here in the next day or two if you have time to read it.
Regards and thanks to all for now.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 2nd 05, 08:17 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , D Larsen
writes
Derrick,

Hi Dean.
I'm glad you posted your note to this newsgroup ! We need some
off-topic discussions to divert our attention from the ho-hum topic of
CDR's g !

Thank you, but if I do any burning, even speaking as a musician, its
more than likely to be the product from my Cannon Ixus, (one of the
first models made, 2.2millon pixels.)

I have an "old" Olympus 360...the pix it produces are fine for my uses
(Power Point training presentations).

Just trading experiences, one of my best Cameras was an Olympus half
frame SLR, trouble was, it took twice the amount of shots per film and
therefore cost twice the amount, and all the waiting to use up a roll,
by the time you were able to develop a persons wedding photos you would
have just filmed their funeral, (only joking of course).

The wife has a Canon Rebel SLR....for Christmas, I got her a Digital
Rebel...the advantage is that she can use the various lenses from her
"old" film camera on the new digital, although there is some focal
length variations between the film and digital lenses. Also, you don't
waste a lot of film on crappy shots, either...just delete the mistakes
! BUT...the Digital Rebel is not cheap....

I am intrigued by this information, I had always thought it was a
straight choice between the two digital camps, the "pure" digital and
the SLR digital, i.e. A Cannon 300 or a Nikon D70, now you tell me of
another option. Can I ask where this "Rebel" is situated in the
photography "hierarchy", is it in the professional category?

Anyway, we've been real happy with the Digital Rebel....still getting
used to some of its quirks, etc, but we've produced some neat pix with
it !

The bottom line ? It's like buying a computer....the first thing to ask
yourself is "What do I want to do with it ?". For lots of uses, a good
quality (cheap !) fixed lens digital is all you need....if you're the
really creative type, OR you have a big investment in film SLR lenses,
then an interchangeable lens digital SLR model might be for you !

Really, the ideal solution would be to "Digitalize" my Contax Quartz,
but I am told Contax are never going down that road, true or false?

My 2 cents...

No Dean, a couple of dollars, or should I say in my part of the world,
"a few quid".

Dean...

Kind regards and thank you again for that advice,

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 3rd 05, 04:30 PM
D Larsen

Derrick,

I hope the illness emergency worked out well...having my 87 year old
mother-in-law living with us, I know how sickness issues can disrupt
many plans !

I want to tell you right off the bat that we're NOT big photography
"pros" or anything ! I hope I didn't give that impression from my
post....we're just "doodlers" who enjoy new techie things ! Take any of
my comments from a perspective of a beginner g !

Half-frame SLR ? I didn't know such a beast existed ! I love your
observation, though....on all our film cameras, we always had a ton of
pet photos at the end of a roll, just to use up the film so we could get
it developed g !!

Not sure I understand your comment the Canon 300 (the 300D ?) and
the Nikon D70...as I understand it, both cameras are "pure" digital in
format. The 300d (which is the same as what I'm calling the "Digital
Rebel"; I guess it's marketed under different names in other parts of
the world !) and the Nikon D70 are direct competitors in the digital
camera market. Also, as I understand it, both of these cameras fall
into a "magical" sub-$1000 range of digital cameras with more advanced
features than the cheaper, fixed lens models....thus, not a "new"
option, as you suggested, but a feature difference between the 2 in the
approximate same price range. The term I've seen is the "prosumer
market"...not "basic" but not "professional", either !

Never heard of a "Contax" so I can't comment ! See, I TOLD you I was a
beginner g !!

Here is a link to a review of the Nikon D70 :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

.....and one on the Canon 300D ("Digital Rebel") from the same source :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

Hope this helps !

My 2 pence worth g

Dean...