fast cdrw media for my 52/32/52 lite on and I've got macs with 10x cdrws

Old April 17th 04, 05:00 AM
hupjack

Default fast cdrw media for my 52/32/52 lite on and I've got macs with 10x cdrws

I just put a lite-on LTR-52327S in my new computer
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/CDRW_ltr52327s.htm
A drive I'm sure everybody here is familiar with.

My parents also have 2 beautiful Macs in the house"
One 15" Flat Panel iMac -
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_...L17637C_EN.pdf
and one Quicksilver G4 tower -
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_...L18299B_EN.pdf

Both of those Macs have, not the dvd combo drives, but rather the internal
CDR/RW 24/10/32 drives.
I'm looking at faster media than the 4x disc I've been using for use with my
lite-on drive.

I'm pretty sure I read that the 32x Ultra Speed Verbatim media can be read,
but not written or erased, by anything but a 32x RW drive.

the fast media I've spotted:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10358027 - the 32x Verbatim Ultra
Speed
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10332676 - 16x - 24x Verbatim
Ultra Speed
http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?pn=848559 - larger spool of 16x -
24x Verbatim Ultra Speed

I'd like a couple fast CDRWs to use with my Lite-On, but my dad would also
like some fast media that works with the Mac cdrw drives. Is the 16x-24x
media flexible such that it would work with the 10x CDRW drives in our Macs
or do I really need to limit the media I write with the Macs to something
like this 10x Memorex stuff?
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10311324
I also see an attractive 4x-12x option sold under the HP brand name -
http://tinyurl.com/2qp5f
and 4x-12x media carrying the same Verbatim Ultra Speed branding as the
higher speed stuff - http://tinyurl.com/2udhb

PS: before I get a lecture on this.... I know that CDRWs are for short term
data storage. If I ever do any archival stuff I'd use CDRs of course... but
when I'm running off to a friend's house with some downloaded video clips of
the Chappelle Show, I want to burn them onto a CDRW quickly, not have a CDR
permanently burned with the episode that I want to watch once. I also find
myself helping out a lot of folk with computer problems, and it's nice to be
able to quickly burn a CDRW with some of the latest software that I'd be
setting them up with after I format their messed up machine.

So I have legit uses for fast CDRW media, now I just need some help figuring
out what media to get. I'm perfectly happy getting two types of discs, some
4x-12x for the Macs and some 32x for my lite-on drive. Or I'd be happy to
get some 16x-24x for my lite-on drive if the 32x isn't reliable. With the
price being identical, I've got to assume the 32x would work just as
reliably as the 16x-24x in my lite-on and I should grab the 32x.. Am I
making a good assumption?

is 32x media for my lite on and 4x -12x for the Macs the right way to go?

--
To e-mail me, replace "_nospamtoday_" with the "@" symbol when replying to
my address.

Old April 17th 04, 04:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

hupjack wrote:

I just put a lite-on LTR-52327S in my new computer

My parents also have 2 beautiful Macs in the house"

Both of those Macs have, not the dvd combo drives, but rather the internal
CDR/RW 24/10/32 drives.
I'm looking at faster media than the 4x disc I've been using for use with my
lite-on drive.

I'm pretty sure I read that the 32x Ultra Speed Verbatim media can be read,
but not written or erased, by anything but a 32x RW drive.

Correct.

I'd like a couple fast CDRWs to use with my Lite-On, but my dad would also
like some fast media that works with the Mac cdrw drives. Is the 16x-24x
media flexible such that it would work with the 10x CDRW drives in our Macs

No.

or do I really need to limit the media I write with the Macs to something
like this 10x Memorex stuff?

Yes.

PS: before I get a lecture on this.... I know that CDRWs are for short term
data storage. If I ever do any archival stuff I'd use CDRs of course...

Do you believe cd-rw media become forgetful in 5 minutes?

Do you subscribe to this?

CD-RW media is less reliable than CD-R, thus CD-RW is unreliable.
CD-RW is the least reliable media, thus CD-RW is unreliable.

but
when I'm running off to a friend's house with some downloaded video clips of
the Chappelle Show, I want to burn them onto a CDRW quickly, not have a CDR
permanently burned with the episode that I want to watch once. I also find
myself helping out a lot of folk with computer problems, and it's nice to be
able to quickly burn a CDRW with some of the latest software that I'd be
setting them up with after I format their messed up machine.

Stay away from DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc). It's ditched even by none other
than a Roxio Shill!!!

So I have legit uses for fast CDRW media, now I just need some help figuring
out what media to get. I'm perfectly happy getting two types of discs, some
4x-12x for the Macs and some 32x for my lite-on drive. Or I'd be happy to
get some 16x-24x for my lite-on drive if the 32x isn't reliable. With the
price being identical, I've got to assume the 32x would work just as
reliably as the 16x-24x in my lite-on and I should grab the 32x.. Am I
making a good assumption?

is 32x media for my lite on and 4x -12x for the Macs the right way to go?

Short answer is yes if Verbatim 32x (Ultra Speed+) is as reliable as
Verbatim 16x-24x (Ultra Speed) - and there's no reason to believe that's
not the case.

"Mitch" summarizes drive/media compatibility (but does not cover 32x
Ultra Speed+):

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed (12/24/03):

Most likely, you are using the wrong media.

If it's UltraSpeed, it wants discs in similarly marked
packages - rated 16x and above. If it's High Speed, it wants discs in
similarly marked packages, rated 4x and above. If it has neither
marking, it needs discs without such marking on their packaging and
rated no higher than 4x.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed (12/16/03):

Erasable media have proved unreliable. In addition if you have a
HighSpeed drive (rated above 4x), you should not use media rated
for a maximum of 4x of less; they are not HighSpeed. You may get
apparently good results, but the error rate is likely to be high
and reliability will be low.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king

From: Mitch
Subject: CD RW problem
Date: 11/30/03

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed (11/26/03):

Mitch wrote:

If you have a Rewritable Drive
you can use 1x-4x CD-RW Media

If you have a High Speed Rewritable Drive
you can use 4x-12x CD-RW Media & 1x-4x CD-RW Media

If you have a Ultra Speed Rewritable Drive
you can use 8x-24x CD-RW Media, 4x-12x CD-RW Media & 1x-4x
CD-RW Media

Yes and no. Your drive may or may not write to media of a lesser
type than specified, but the quality of the write is generally
much less than that for the specified type, which is often less
than you'd want to begin with. I did not say that it would not
work, only that "you're asking for trouble".

Double-check your data, though. There may be an UltraSpeed drive
which will write as slowly as 4x, but I don't know of it.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king.

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old April 17th 04, 04:52 PM
mike

hupjack wrote:
[...]

I've had excellent results with the hp discs in mine.

I only have six 24X discs. Tried 'em. Got so many C2 errors that I'm
afraid to use 'em even for short term. 24x ain't all that much faster
given the overhead of setting it up and all the other leadin/out stuff
that is conveniently ignored when rating the speed of a write.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment