Lite-On's dark secret?

Old January 25th 04, 04:38 PM
bb

On 24 Jan 2004 20:47:54 -0800, (No Longer a LiteOn
Customer) wrote:

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message news:zugQb.35563$zP6.12372@okepread02...
Face up to it. You made a bad decision *not* to simply return the item to
your retailer.

Yes, you are right. I made a bad decision. I should have returned it
to the retailer, but was lured into thinking that by sending it to the
manufacturer I would get a unit that functions as advertised.

Also, there was big card that came with the product, saying: "Before
returning this product to the original purchase location, please
contact Lite-On customer service first. Qualified Lite-On customer
service representatives can answer any questions you may have".

There you go. BTW, they didn't have YOUR best interests in mind when
they included that card.

your retailer. You had that option, and the Lite-On tech even reminded you
of it in his/her second response. You opted for the shipping expense and

You mean this ambigously written response? :
"The only suggest we can provide at this time is returning the unit to
us to double check or your can return it to your re-seller."

What, exactly is ambiguous about "you can return it to your
re-seller?"

of it in his/her second response. You opted for the shipping expense and
time lost. You also opted for low price, which seems to be the way the world
works today. Consequently, you didn't get perfect, red carpet service after

Correct. A lesson learned. Perhaps others can learn from this lesson,
too. If only I could find a refence like this thread *before* I made
the purchase...

the sale. Given that numerous off-shore electronics manufacturers simply
refuse to deal with retail customers at all, saying warranty service is
between the end user and the retailer, you weren't treated badly at all.

I disagree. A warranty is a warranty. If the manufacturer specifically
and explicitly requires end users to contact him directly, then he
should behave accordingly.

"Should," but usually doesn't.