Newbie VCD Question! Help!

Old January 2nd 04, 03:20 PM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

The movie was a letterboxed avi and I had the default in dvd2svcd which says no
borders only 4:3 and the screen does look a bit wierd.

I will try using 16:9 border option and pray it works since the original source
DID have borders. I hate to encode the avi all over again but hey you live and
learn.

Candy

For Lambert Fans or VC fans
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Offici...artwright/join
Old January 2nd 04, 04:07 PM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

I got mine for $103. Actually much less cause I sold my old one.
The DVD burners are dropping like crazy. Ive seen tons of $70-90 deals
after rebate this Xmas. Some have gotten even lower priced deals in
the US.

Well not sure if i would get an external one(I have two usb ports on the
laptop) or buy a cdrw/dvd/dvdr combo drive to replace my current cdrw/dvd drive
combo(not sure if that would mess up my current warranty with compaq or not)

I would have to get the guys at best buy to install it though. hmm those prices
sound good so I will check it out in a few months.

Candy
Old January 2nd 04, 04:10 PM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

Havent looked into KVCD cause there arent any automatic front ends i
know of and I dont want to hassle guessing which players can play it
and which cant. The SVCDs all the players I have and the people I know
have play them easily. The only one that didnt was a really old
panasonic the newer ones can play them. And it wasnt that they couldnt
play SVCDs but CDRs. You had to burn them on CDRWs which I hate.

Most flicks fit on 2 cdrs so it isnt that bad.

No it's not bad at all. I'm still researching kvcd's. If I actually burn a 90
min movie or 3 hr movie on a single 80 min cdr and the quality is like a svcd I
will update you but I don't think I'm anywhere near that right now.

Candy

Old January 2nd 04, 04:21 PM
Graham Mayor

If your Compaq laptop has USB2 (or Firewire) ports then an external one is a
perfectly viable option. Not all the recent Compaq laptops have USB2.

An external USB2/Firewire box can be fitted with any IDE drive of your
choice, and may prove cheaper than a dedicated external writer.

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 3rd 04, 12:48 AM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

If your Compaq laptop has USB2 (or Firewire) ports then an external one is a
perfectly viable option. Not all the recent Compaq laptops have USB2.

Darn no my laptop is still recent(you can still find it in best buy) but it has
stupid usb 1.0 port so that means I can't use a external dvd burner doesn't it?

Candy
Old January 3rd 04, 12:51 AM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

Update! I used the 16:9 option the border one and it looks great on the 2
SVCD's I made. Thanks John. I want to rip my sister's dvd of the japanese film
the ring 2 but it has subtitles. I assume if I check the option rip subtitles
on dvd2svcd it will rip it. I will try it.

Old January 3rd 04, 07:48 AM
Graham Mayor

You can use an external burner with USB1 but it is painfully slow. Lack of
USB2 was one reason why I bought NEC rather than the Compaq that was top of
*my* shopping list.

--

Graham Mayor