Can't boot from Yamaha CRW4416S

Old July 5th 03, 04:08 AM
Dan G

Default Can't boot from Yamaha CRW4416S

If you're talking about booting to an SCSI drive, you have to have "boot
from SCSI" enabled in your BIOS, and it have to be before the HD in the boot
sequence.

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
Does anyone have this drive, and can you boot from it?

I posted this to the SCSI group, but got no response:

I put the Yamaha CRW4416S and Tekram DC-390F together
with a Quantum Viking II 9.1GB drive and tried to install the OS
from CD. It won't boot from the CD. "Boot from CD-ROM" is
enabled in the adapter settings. Both devices are recognized in the
bios scan. The HD still has an old installation of XP Home that
wasn't activated and when booted into safe mode (the only way to
get in) it is able to read the CD. I had these parts together in my
old BX board, and am almost certain I was able to boot from the
CD. All firmware is current, 3.23 for the Tekram and 1.0j on the
Yamaha. The Yamaha spins-up, as if examining the disk to see if
it is bootable, but it proceeds to boot from the HD. I also tried a
bootable Symantec disk without success. Synchronous and wide
negotiation are disabled as per Yamaha 'site instructions.

I'm stumped. Any ideas? I guess I'll have to scrounge-up a floppy
drive from somewhere...

Thanks for any help!

Old July 5th 03, 05:11 AM
Fishface

Dan G wrote:
If you're talking about booting to an SCSI drive, you have to have
"boot from SCSI" enabled in your BIOS, and it have to be before
the HD in the boot sequence.

There are no IDE devices at all, so that's not the problem. It boots
from the SCSI HD regardless of the SCSI adapter bios setting to
"boot from CD-ROM."

Old July 5th 03, 05:38 AM
Dan G

Some motherboards/BIOS cannot boot from more than one SCSI device, they pick
the first one they see. Still suggest you look at your BIOS and see what
choices you have.

Old July 5th 03, 06:24 AM
GHalleck

Fishface wrote:

Dan G wrote:
If you're talking about booting to an SCSI drive, you have to have
"boot from SCSI" enabled in your BIOS, and it have to be before
the HD in the boot sequence.

There are no IDE devices at all, so that's not the problem. It boots
from the SCSI HD regardless of the SCSI adapter bios setting to
"boot from CD-ROM."

If there is an utility for the SCSI host utility, run it and set it to boot from
the SCSI ID that is for the Yamaha drive. The otherwise alternative would
be to assign the CDROM a target ID of 0 and the HD an unused ID that
is greater than 0, i.e., swap their ID numbers.

Old July 5th 03, 06:44 AM
Fishface

GHalleck wrote:

If there is an utility for the SCSI host utility, run it and set it to boot from
the SCSI ID that is for the Yamaha drive.

Yep, tried that.

The otherwise alternative would be to assign the CDROM a target ID of 0
and the HD an unused ID that is greater than 0, i.e., swap their ID numbers.

I tried that too. I tried putting it on the 50 pin cable alone and terminating it.
It just will not boot. I reseated the card and checked the pins. I have even
considered flashing to prior firmware revisions but I am just getting tired of
messing with it...

Old July 5th 03, 04:11 PM
Fishface

Ghostrider wrote:

There are some alternatives at kick-starting a SCSI setup, including
using a bootable diskette with the SCSI drivers programmed into it.

I had tried that at great effort. The setup program said it would not run in
MSDOS mode, and I couldn't find another installation program (Win2k).
I'm not sure what the heck it does when you boot from the CD. So I got
four floppies and use the "Makeboot" utility. I *hate* floppies, they are
sooo slow. Three times I tried, and three times, it got to the end of the
fourth floppy and hung at "Starting Windows..."

It is occasionally nice to have a IDE, bootable cdrom drive handy for
OS installations.

Had I only known. I guess I'll go pillage another computer, now...

Old July 5th 03, 08:37 PM
Tritium

Fishface wrote:

Ghostrider wrote:

There are some alternatives at kick-starting a SCSI setup, including
using a bootable diskette with the SCSI drivers programmed into it.

I had tried that at great effort. The setup program said it would not run in
MSDOS mode, and I couldn't find another installation program (Win2k).
I'm not sure what the heck it does when you boot from the CD. So I got
four floppies and use the "Makeboot" utility. I *hate* floppies, they are
sooo slow. Three times I tried, and three times, it got to the end of the
fourth floppy and hung at "Starting Windows..."

It is occasionally nice to have a IDE, bootable cdrom drive handy for
OS installations.

Had I only known. I guess I'll go pillage another computer, now...

Been there. The drivers for the SCSI host card needs to be specified at the
beginning of the Windows 2000 setup...even for Adaptec cards. (Go figure.)
In the Windows 98 setup, this is avoided since its bootup floppy contains
the drivers for the major SCSI host card brands. Anyway, the first Win2K
floppy will ask the installer to hit the F6 key if any special drivers are needed.
This is a lesson learned after the first pass ends up in total failure. However,
the SCSI drivers, which must be on a floppy diskette, are not asked for until
somewhere in the 4th (maybe 3rd) setup diskette.

(P.S.: Being an oldtime, SCSI user, I agree with Ghostrider's remark about
having a boot-capable, IDE CDROM player available.)

Old July 5th 03, 10:12 PM
Fishface

Tritium wrote:

Been there. The drivers for the SCSI host card needs to be specified at the
beginning of the Windows 2000 setup...even for Adaptec cards. (Go figure.)

Yeah, I did that. I deleted the NTFS partition that the old XP Home install
was on and then all went well!

In the Windows 98 setup, this is avoided since its bootup floppy contains
the drivers for the major SCSI host card brands. Anyway, the first Win2K
floppy will ask the installer to hit the F6 key if any special drivers are needed.
This is a lesson learned after the first pass ends up in total failure. However,
the SCSI drivers, which must be on a floppy diskette, are not asked for until
somewhere in the 4th (maybe 3rd) setup diskette.

Yeah, a little feedback would be nice on that F6, and maybe a second chance
later if you miss-it...

Can't boot from CD Zotin Khuma General 6 November 16th 04 11:18 PM
BX6 rev2 boot problem Ian Abit Motherboards 5 October 8th 04 09:52 PM
NF7 Boot SATA systrade Abit Motherboards 0 September 29th 04 10:47 AM
Boot problem with Promise SATA Fasttrack S150TX2 Plus Wizard General 0 September 13th 04 06:54 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM