NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP

Old December 30th 03, 11:03 AM
Albert Alcoceba

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:39:22 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

Scotty,

I have found that any Win 95/98/me computer that needs to access resources on
computer running Windows NT/2000/XP MUST have Client for Microsoft Networks
installed and MUST login with a password. The lack of a login password, i.e.
blank password, or simply hitting the login Cancel button on the 95/98/Me
computer effectively prohibits access to any shared resources on the other
computer. In other words, NT rules dictate that all computers in the net log in
with passwords in order to access files and printers on an NT-class operating
system.

Plus on the NT machine - a user with the same login name / password
must be created and access given to the specified
drives/folders/printers.

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.racysrailway.com/
Remove REMOVE
Old December 30th 03, 11:15 AM
Albert Alcoceba

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:42:51 GMT, "Whelan"
wrote:

Before changing routers, I never needed a password on my primary computer
(Dell Dimension 4500, WinXPPro) and could access files on Win98 computers
(and vice-versa) when they were connected by cable. The Win98's had a
password.

But like I said earlier, the XPPro laptop (a Compaq) has never shared or
printed with either the Win98s or the Dimension. Now we've added a new Dell
Inspiron laptop (XPPro) and it cannot share or print either.

I'm beginning to wonder ... do you have to run Win98 in order to network? I
just cannot get two XP computers to see each other. I don't understand why.

XP, like NT, is a proper secure operating system.

You will need to create users on both machines with same login name
and password. You will need to grant these users privileges to access
the various resources you want shared.

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.racysrailway.com/
Remove REMOVE
Old December 30th 03, 01:32 PM
Ben Myers

"XP, like NT, is a proper secure operating system." Secure is a relative term.
Out of the box, it can't possibly meet even the lowest level of US Dept of
Defense security.

And if I can get physical access to an NT, 2000, or XP system, I can blow the
doors off of it in a minute. Literally... Ben Myers

Old December 30th 03, 03:23 PM
Kenneth J. Harris

See my networking experience below.

Old December 30th 03, 07:14 PM
Ray Setzer

Make sure both computers belong to the same WORKGROUP. Don't confuse
Workgroup with Domain. For basic home use, you just want a simple Workgroup.
Sometimes XP will reset the Workgroup name to whatever it uses for a
default. MSHOME or something like that. I have one computer here in my
office lan that sometimes cannot access the network, and when I look at the
network properties, its will have gone and changed the Workgroup name.

XP is sets up easy for sharing. On XPPro, if you give FULL access to a
folder, you will have allowed the Guest account to access that resouce. On
XPHome, shareing a folder will always make that the case. But on XPPro you
can fine tune the sharing a great deal, giving only specific users rights to
do certain things, ect.

But again, if your just on a home network, behind a firewall router, and
your machines are not on 24/7, you typically don't need to be particularly
paranoid.

"Whelan" wrote in message
Before changing routers, I never needed a password on my primary computer
(Dell Dimension 4500, WinXPPro) and could access files on Win98 computers
(and vice-versa) when they were connected by cable. The Win98's had a
password.

But like I said earlier, the XPPro laptop (a Compaq) has never shared or
printed with either the Win98s or the Dimension. Now we've added a new

Dell
Inspiron laptop (XPPro) and it cannot share or print either.

I'm beginning to wonder ... do you have to run Win98 in order to network?

just cannot get two XP computers to see each other. I don't understand

why.
Nan

"PC-Gladiator" wrote in message
Actually, I think it has always been this way. When I was trying to get

my
first home network setup working with W95 & W98se systems, I found the

login
issue by accident. I hadn't seen it mentioned in any of the research I

had
done prior to my first networking adventure.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
[...]

I hope this helps... Ben Myers

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:52:18 -0500, "Chopperdad"

wrote:

I have almost the exact opposite problem. So long I had the printer

hooked
up to the 98SE computer, I could print off of either computer via the
network. When I switched it over the weekend to the XP computer, the

98SE
would not print to it although it knew it was out there on the

network.
can interchanges files and that, but I can't print to the printer

from
the
98SE machine now, but the speed that the printer prints from the XP

has
dramatic improved.

Old December 30th 03, 07:46 PM
Whelan

Ben,
Should we use a password for XP also?
It is the XP computers that I've been unable to network. They can all use
the DSL, but that's it.
Nan
ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Yes! Absolutely! A name and a password. The password absolutely IS

REQUIRED.

If you happen to like the name you've used to log in, and have left the

password
blank (actually "null" in geek-ese), find all files on the hard drive

named
"*.pwl" (no quotes when entered in the Named field), then delete the one
corresponding to the name you like. Next, log off and log on again, then

time
with a name and password.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:53:33 -0500, "Chopperdad"

wrote:

Ben,

Do I take this to mean that I have to log in with a password even if I

don't
need to? I was just leaving it blank since that was what I was doing on

friend's computer. although their did not have any network involvement,

just
the fact that they had 98SE installed on their computer.

Scotty

Old December 30th 03, 07:52 PM
Whelan

So, should you have a password for XP computers too?

That might mean more of those "cute" graphic icons at startup ... but if
that makes it work, it will be worth the clutter.

I understand deleting the pwl files in Win98 (done that plenty at work)...
But is it more complicated to delete password-less users in XPPro?
Nan

Old December 30th 03, 08:14 PM
Whelan

Sorry about that double post.
Anyway, I answered part of my question.

In XPPro, when you go yo Control Panel, User Accounts, there is a choice to
add a password, so it shouldn't be necessary to delete the user.

I didn't add a password yet ... is it necessary?
In the past this computer connected just fine with two Win 98 computers ...
I realize now that they all shared the same username and the Win98s also had
a password for the username but this one (Dell4500 w/WinXP, primary desktop)
never had a password. The Compaq laptop that could never connect or print
did not have the shared username on it!

Can the solution be that simple? Can't wait to try it!
(I'll deal with the wireless issue later.)
Nan

Old December 30th 03, 10:55 PM
Whelan

I've just spent 2 hours trying to get the Dell Dimension 4500 and the
Compaq laptop to see each other.
NO LUCK.
They both are logged in as the same username and password.

There was nothing useful under Network Places so I ran the XP Networking
Wizard on them (several times), restarting many times. I tried different
workgroup names. A number of folders on each is Shared.

Each time I go to Network Places, there is nothing. When I choose View
Workgroup Computers, it sputters almost a minute, then says
"(Workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is
not currently available."

The username has Administrator privileges on both.

When under My Network Places, I choose View Network Connections, under LAN,
then Local Area Connection, then Properties-General, 4 boxes are checked on
each:
Client for Microsoft Networks,
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks,
QoS Packet Scheduler,
and TCP/IP
Under Authentification, "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentification for this
network" is checked (I don't know what that means!). EAP type says "Smart
Card or other Certicate" but there are other choices, "MD5-Challenge" and
"Protected EAP"

What else can it be?

For 18 months now, I cannot get two XP computers to see each other!
Nan

Old December 30th 03, 11:17 PM
Angus Macleod

Perhaps XP's built-in firewall is getting in the way.

Go to your connections and right click the one called Local Area Network and
select Properties. On the Advanced tab, ensure that "Protect my computer..."
is unchecked.

Angus.

Limitations of 98SE Mooreslaw General 10 November 14th 04 03:47 PM
Networking XP (Pro) and 98(SE) Cerridwen General 6 February 29th 04 02:13 PM
NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP Chopperdad Dell Computers 77 January 5th 04 07:12 PM
Networking 98SE & XP T.R. Gateway Computers 17 December 17th 03 09:21 PM
NETWORKING PRINTER ON WINDOWS 98SE & XP Chopperdad Gateway Computers 2 December 17th 03 02:28 PM