Looking for suggestions on building a 'dream' computer

Old August 23rd 04, 06:54 PM
CBFalconer

Brad wrote:

.... snip ...

Im thinking something such as:

- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
- 1 to 2 gigs ram
- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
whatever gets the fastest speed

All ideas are welcome. thank you
Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Just insist on ECC memory (and an ECC capable chipset). You also
want to be sure you can mount Linux, or FreeBSD, etc.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old August 23rd 04, 06:58 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

sheer wrote:
"liam" wrote in message
Here's the system I've just built

ASUS SK8V Deluxe board
FX-55
2GB PC3200 OCZ
X800 Pro (couldn't get the XT)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
2x75GB 10K Raptors
1x250GB Caviar (all SATA obviously)
Plextor DVD burner (though this will be replaced at the beginning
of next year with one of the new 8.5GB units)
Samsung combi (for convenience and when I need to burn a CD in a
hurry - it's twice as fast as the Plextor)
Coolermaster WaveMaster case
Tagan SilentPower 500W PSU (and it *IS* silent!)
Logitech iTouch combi (Bluetooth)
If you're a gamer (which you obviously are) - the you owe it to
yourself to get a MX700 or MX900 (Bluetooth) - they are the most
accurate and most responsive gaming mice currently available.
Coupled with a RatpadzGS (Gaming Surface) - they will (sorry for
the advertising cliche) take your gaming experience to a whole new
level.

Whilst I'm not really a gamer (not in the sense of FPS, flight
sims, RTS, etc) I do play (OK, I guess adventures, RPGs and
management don't really count - I can't wait for /Rollercoaster
Tycoon 3/ or /The Sims 2/ for example).

Just my 2p (inc. VAT)'s worth.

--
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he
eventually lose his marbles?

WTF Would you want a system like that for if you don't use it for
FPS or Flight Sims/Racing Sims.

What Frame Rate do you get with Solitare ?
Do you suffer from Lag with Internet Hearts.?

Why don't you get an 8 Meg Bonded SDSL connection for your e-mail. ?

Because the fastest I can get here is 2Mbit (DSL speed is measured in Mbits,
not megabytes you f*ckwit).

Have you got some £2.50 headphones for your soundblaster ?

Nope I have some £45 headphones with mic. I also have a set of Logitech
Z680s.

How's the 14" Monitor running at 640 * 480 ?

I wouldn't know - I can't see it from here - you tell me.

What a fookin Tosser you are ?

As that's a question (not that it makes any sense as one) - I am not.

If you wish to see the "fookin tosser" suggest you look in the mirror. If
you must know I am a designer. I use graphic intensive packages such as
Adobe Creative Suite, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, etc.

I have two monitors - a 21" CRT and a 19" LCD. I have two printers - a Canon
i9950 and an Epson R800. I am considering the purchase of a mono laser. I
have a 2Mbit DSL connection and I'm satsified. I cannot get any faster here
unless I get cable and it isn't available.

Don't worry - when you're a big boy, and have a job (how much do they pay
for flipping burgers at McD's these days?) you, too, can have a decent
system. Until then, you'll have to remain jealous and stick with your P166.
lose his marbles?

Old August 23rd 04, 09:16 PM
kony

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:54:38 GMT, "Brad" wrote:

For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
the king of my block for awhile.....

....so overkill is encouraged.

My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )

Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
the highest-end performance parts

Im thinking something such as:

- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
- 1 to 2 gigs ram
- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
whatever gets the fastest speed

All ideas are welcome. thank you
Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Remember that in a few years, whatever you get will seem a little
sub-par again. Start with a good foundation, parts you will want
to reuse in the future.

For example, a very thick-walled aluminum, nearly full tower case
supporting BTX regardless of which ATX/BTX you build "today". PC
Power & Cooling PSU. 19-21" LCD monitor, nice speakers. 4 years
from now those will still be a nice start to rebuild from.

As for the rest, depends on where you need max performance,
keeping in mind that max performance in areas you'll never
exploit, will just be added heat and noise, power usage. I would
go for 2GB memory though, on a machine with that budget.
Old August 24th 04, 12:11 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
sheer wrote:
"liam" wrote in message
[...]

LMAO. Dream on you moose.

ss.

Old August 24th 04, 01:59 AM
Almeyda

liam ur a dick.... just cause u cant get one.

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz
A7N8X-E Deluxe Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200LL DualChannel
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @463/399 (Omegas 2.5.51 & ATI tool 0.20 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache 2x40GB ATA Seagate
SB AudigyES ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS)

Old August 24th 04, 05:19 AM
no name

"Brad" tried to express:
For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
the king of my block for awhile.....

All ideas are welcome. thank you
Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

I just built my own UBER-class machine.
Tyan S2668ANR dual Xeon motherboard
2GB DDR memory
dual Xeons running at 2.8Ghz 533fsb 512K L2 cache
Gainward GeForce FX5900 Golden Sample video 8X AGP
two each Maxtor ATA133 disks (120GB each)
Antec Plusview 1080 tower case
Antec True550 EPS12V power supply
(motherboard wont run without a Tyan approved power supply!)
Pinnacle AV/DV videio capture board

I already had the AV/DV board but the other stuff cost about $1900 US.

I'm not one to jump to the front of the curve so I chose technology
that has been around for a couple of years, or basically the stuff
that recently came way down in price.

Old August 24th 04, 06:02 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:54:38 GMT, "Brad" wrote:

For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
the king of my block for awhile.....

....so overkill is encouraged.

*shakes head*

....stupid.

My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )

I can build you a system for a few million (how much are the Altix 3000 superclusters going for
these days) how is that for reasonable?

Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
on what I could shop for.

Intelligence would probably be the first thing you should look into buying.

Even if the component needs to be specially
ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it.

*shakes head*

I have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
the highest-end performance parts

The highest end computer systems will cost upwards of $50,000 per rack mount (something in the range
of Intel Itanium 2's)

Im thinking something such as:

- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB

*shakes head*

- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.

For $6,000 you could probably buy 2 or 3 low grade rack mounts.

- 1 to 2 gigs ram

For $6,000? That's pretty pathetic, you could probably afford upwards of 8 gigs on your budget.

- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)

Well now see that just raises all sorts of questions. I mean are you talking about just a card with
a TV tuner or are you talking about being able to capture as well? And if so what resolution,
format and bit rate are you looking to encode in?

- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
whatever gets the fastest speed

Why bother? Just use one drive in the system and then get yourself a mobile rack removable drive
setup if you need extra storage.

All ideas are welcome. thank you
Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

You know the thing of it is, it's like you're trying to build "OMG WTF TEH MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM
EVAR" and you're naive enough to think $6,000 is even a drop in the bucket for a system that could
be truly considered that. It sounds more like what you want is a "cool" or "unique" LOOKING system.
Check this out (my brothers system): http://www.meow.org/flonk/Josh-Syste...pgrades?page=1

Now that's just an old Athlon 900Mhz system with 128mb of memory, but it looks 8 shades of absolute
badass. That's because the concentration was put on style rather than just trying to buy a lot of
expensive component to try and get speed that wasn't even needed for the applications that he
regularly uses. The upgrades you see on that link, yeah, the visual stuff didn't cost more than a
$150...granted it was all some assembly required, no instructions, figure it out for yourself, but
it wasn't expensive.

So really, you need to decide if you just want a few butt ugly boring generic brand box mounts
sitting in your living room which isn't really going to impress anyone unless they're just REALLY
familiar with Ghz and terabytes and what not. Or do you want to go for STYLE that will REALLY
impress your average laymen (someone like you, who obviously doesn't know much about the subject).

Think about it, if you walked into a room and saw this:
http://www.meow.org/flonk/Josh-Syste...glow_02?full=1
or this:
http://www.bdmsystems.co.uk/images/m.../rackmount.jpg
which would you THINK was the "faster"/"better" system, just off hand?

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old August 24th 04, 06:04 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:22:40 -0230, Carter Lee wrote:

Brad wrote:

[...]

My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.

....huh?

How would a "server" NOT be a PC? Well I suppose if you setup a Mac as a server... o_O

Old August 24th 04, 06:06 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:34:08 -0400, "Grant" wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message
For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
the king of my block for awhile.....

....so overkill is encouraged.

If you wanna see extreme overkill, check these out:

http://www.go-l.com/desktops/index.htm

drool

Those are actually pretty gawd damn lame looking if you ask me. Not really very spectacular
component wise either.

Old August 24th 04, 06:09 AM
Brad

My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.

...huh?

How would a "server" NOT be a PC? Well I suppose if you setup a Mac as a

server...

PC is 'Personal Computer'. A server is typically meant to be used by many
and not 'personal' usage.

Sometimes the terminology can cause a bit of misunderstanding