Fan not working on MSI GF3 Ti500

Old October 28th 03, 03:53 PM
Jethro[AGHL]

Default Fan not working on MSI GF3 Ti500

I've been working on upgrading my friends PC with new mobo and such as
he's been complaining of "issues".
He had a crap mobo that wouldn't let him run at spec so was installing a
new on.
While poking around inside I noticed his video card fan wasn't spinning
and from the looks of the cleanliness it might not have ever run. :-\
It is an MSI GF3 Ti500 with product code of MS8853.
When googling for info on the card only a few references ever appear
about it and all state it as a GF3 T-500 Pro VTG or Pro-TD. VTG has 2 TV
out and TV-in and TD has 2 TV out.
All images of the card look different that the one he has and his card
only has one S-video TV out so I don't know what the hell is up with his
card. Nothing I search for looks or is described similar to his card.

Now I'm trying to either replace the fan or whole HSF unit. HS is of
course glued to the damn GPU so it's not moving much.
The fan I got pried off and spun it by hand and seems to move slightly
but not enough to cool the chip.
The card has been running very hot for a long time. Is it permanently
damaged? It has locked up often before but we thought it was a mobo
issue.

Any ideas how or where to just get a working fan? Looking through MSI US
website doesn't even list the MS8853 card but the Taiwan site list 2 of
the GF3 Ti-500 models.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Phat Clan: http://phats.clanpages.com
Old October 28th 03, 09:14 PM
Tom Bugaj

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:53:55 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jethro[AGHL]"
wrote :

[...]

On some video card the fans have a temp sensor and only kick-in if
they need to.He may never have stressed the card or the cooling in the
system me be good?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

First try this,
Carefully remove the sticker in the fan, and add a couple of drops 3-in-one
oil to the bearing.

Rotate the fan until it frees up

Clean the sticker surface on the fan with alcohol to remove ant stray oil
and re-install the sticker.

If the fan wasn't burnt up, it should work ok now.

If the fan is bad, it can be replaced. Just do a google search for computer
parts and you should be able to find someone which sells them.

Tom

Old October 28th 03, 09:17 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:14:29 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Tom Bugaj"
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

[...]

Heh.Heh

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old October 29th 03, 03:29 PM
Jethro[AGHL]

wrote :

[...]

I was able to get the fan running. I have done the oiling on my own fans
with some success. After removing the sticker on my friends fan, there
was no hole for oil. Had to pop the fan off and try and drop oil into
the bottom to seep through to the "top". After a few tries it seems to
be working.
No sure of the damage though.
The card was a sticker on the back with some information. It's peeling
off and discoloured to a brown from the heat.
The back of the card underneath the GPU is also slightly brown so it's
been running hot of r a while. I'm sure he's definitely shortened the
life of the card but it's going so far.

Thanks

mb working and not working!! General 5 October 24th 04 06:11 PM
9800 Pro TV-OUT not working with LCD? Cookie Ati Videocards 0 September 10th 04 05:49 PM
A7N8X non dlx not working Wilf Asus Motherboards 19 June 17th 04 02:40 PM
LITEON's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Homebuilt PC's 49 April 15th 04 04:41 AM
Lite-On's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Cdr 11 January 25th 04 04:54 PM