$400 to spend

Old August 3rd 03, 10:33 PM
PanZa

Default $400 to spend

Ok so guys I havent purchased a video card since the Geforce 3 came out, so
simple question Nvidia 5900 (non ultra) or ATI 9800pro ? The 5900 is
basically a lower clocked ultra right? I play UT, UT2k3 amongst others.

thanks

Old August 4th 03, 01:46 AM
Anders Albrechtsen

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message

"PanZa" wrote in message

Ok so guys I havent purchased a video card since the Geforce 3 came out,

so
simple question Nvidia 5900 (non ultra) or ATI 9800pro ? The 5900 is
basically a lower clocked ultra right? I play UT, UT2k3 amongst

others.

thanks

Voodoo5500. its the card that plays UT best.

Nonsense. My Radeon 9800 Pro kills the Voodoo5 5500 with the OpenGL renderer
and high resolution (S3TC) textures. It looks better than Glide and runs
faster.

Don't waste your $400 on either, upgrade your mobo, cpu and ram and then
wait for a better video card to come along.

That depends what he has now.
---
Anders

Old August 4th 03, 02:01 AM
Anders Albrechtsen

"PanZa" wrote in message ...
Ok so guys I havent purchased a video card since the Geforce 3 came out,

so
simple question Nvidia 5900 (non ultra) or ATI 9800pro ? The 5900 is
basically a lower clocked ultra right? I play UT, UT2k3 amongst others.

What other games do you play? UT 2003 runs a little faster on the GeForceFX
5900, but other games, especially those which makes consistent use of pixel-
and vertex shaders, run better on the Radeon 9800 Pro.
---
Anders

Old August 4th 03, 05:02 AM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

Stick with the geforce 3 i am.

Wait till ATI or Nvidia or other company come out with a decent card.

Old August 4th 03, 05:44 AM
Chimera

PanZa wrote:
Well I have a 3gig P4 with 512 meg of DDR memory running at stupid speeds
sooooooooo.

In that case, you're no stranger to going for the latest greatest.
I'd go for the ATI card personally, but seeing as you're posting this in a
nVidia ng, my guess is you've already got your heart set on the 5900, and
just probing to see if anyone can give convince you otherwise.

Old August 4th 03, 05:45 AM
Derek Wildstar

"Anders Albrechtsen" wrote in message
k...

Ok so guys I havent purchased a video card since the Geforce 3 came

out,
so
simple question Nvidia 5900 (non ultra) or ATI 9800pro ? The 5900

is
basically a lower clocked ultra right? I play UT, UT2k3 amongst

others.

thanks

Voodoo5500. its the card that plays UT best.

Nonsense. My Radeon 9800 Pro kills the Voodoo5 5500 with the OpenGL

renderer
and high resolution (S3TC) textures. It looks better than Glide and runs
faster.

Oh really. I bet you play with your monitor on as well. Amateur.

Old August 4th 03, 06:22 AM
aep@nospam writeme.com

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:02:52 +1000, We Live For The One We Die For The
One wrote:

Stick with the geforce 3 i am.

Wait till ATI or Nvidia or other company come out with a decent card.

Buy yourself an up to date card, you are deluding yourself if you
think a GF3 is still a good card. I went from a GF4 to a 9700 recently
and that was a worthwhile upgrade for me, the GF3 in my other PC just
isn't anything remotely impressive anymore.

Andrew.
Old August 4th 03, 09:26 AM

If you can just squeeze in 10 dollars more you can get the 256 meg Ultra
card. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com choose video cards and then choose the
FX 5900 ultra 256 meg.

regards