CPU Temp Hitting 80C!!!!

Old February 18th 04, 02:01 AM
Munaj Choudhury

Default CPU Temp Hitting 80C!!!!

Hi

I've got a A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP 2600, 512 PC2700 and the processor seems
to be at a really high temp. When I start the PC, it's about 50C and the
mobo about 25 - 30C (according to both Asus Probe and the bios). When I
start using it, e.g. gaming, things go crazy and the PC starts beeping, the
temps in the 70C - 80C region!! I restarted after the temp got high and the
"speaking lady" at POST said "CPU fan failed" although everything was
working. When I went into the bios, every 2 seconds, the CPU temp would go
from 30C to 60C and back and forth. What's going on?! All connections seem
fine, fans working, I've even flashed the latest bios in again. Please
help!!

Thanks

Munaj

Old February 18th 04, 05:51 AM
Darkfalz

"Munaj Choudhury" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP 2600, 512 PC2700 and the processor

seems
to be at a really high temp. When I start the PC, it's about 50C and the
mobo about 25 - 30C (according to both Asus Probe and the bios). When I
start using it, e.g. gaming, things go crazy and the PC starts beeping,

the
temps in the 70C - 80C region!! I restarted after the temp got high and

the
"speaking lady" at POST said "CPU fan failed" although everything was
working. When I went into the bios, every 2 seconds, the CPU temp would go
from 30C to 60C and back and forth. What's going on?! All connections seem
fine, fans working, I've even flashed the latest bios in again. Please
help!!

That's what you get for buying AMD. Didn't you hear that these CPUs actually
MELT?

Old February 18th 04, 06:43 AM
Paul

In article , "Munaj
Choudhury" wrote:

Hi

I've got a A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP 2600, 512 PC2700 and the processor seems
to be at a really high temp. When I start the PC, it's about 50C and the
mobo about 25 - 30C (according to both Asus Probe and the bios). When I
start using it, e.g. gaming, things go crazy and the PC starts beeping, the
temps in the 70C - 80C region!! I restarted after the temp got high and the
"speaking lady" at POST said "CPU fan failed" although everything was
working. When I went into the bios, every 2 seconds, the CPU temp would go
from 30C to 60C and back and forth. What's going on?! All connections seem
fine, fans working, I've even flashed the latest bios in again. Please
help!!

Thanks

Munaj

Overclocked ?
Overvolted core ?
Improperly installed HSF/no grease or thermal interface material ?
Extra standoffs underneath motherboard, shorting to power planes ?

I'd try reinstalling the HSF, taking care to ensure the contact
patch on the heatsink, lines up with the die. I think it is possible
to rotate some HSF 180 degrees and mess that up.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 18th 04, 08:27 AM
Andrew

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:51:00 +1100, "Darkfalz"
wrote:

That's what you get for buying AMD. Didn't you hear that these CPUs actually
MELT?

Moron.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old February 18th 04, 08:45 AM
BigBadger

If your getting the fan failure warning then the fan is probably spinning
too slowly...what rpm is it reading?

If the fan and heatsink are all choked up with dust clean it out.

Old February 18th 04, 07:40 PM
Ian

My 2400XP sits idle at around 36 degrees and goes to 50 when really going
for it.Check ur heatsink is actually mounted correctly on the die of the
chip.This is best done when the motherboard is taken out of the case.Also
use compound like `Arctic Silver` to get a good contact between the
two.Clean both the bottom of the heatsink and the die of the chip with some
good cleaning agent to get rid of all excess deposits before applying new
compound.

Old February 18th 04, 07:46 PM
BigBadger

66C is too hot.

"KB" wrote in message
My XP2800 gets up to 52c unloaded and around 66 loaded.
No probs with HSF, no problems with Thermal compound.
Faster fan on HS then lower temps, slower fan then high temps.

Old February 18th 04, 10:40 PM
KB

"66C is too hot"
Like I said, no problem with HSF, no problem with Thermal compound.
Very thin layer on clean die and heatsink.
There are others who have their 2800's getting up to 66c under load.
If I had the 4500rpm fan that I used to(Coolermaster HAC-81) then max cpu
temp under load was and would be a lot less than 66c.
Reason one for not having it still: too much noise and vibration.
Reason two for present HSF: hours of too much noise.
If room temp is low then cpu temp drops
if high the cpu temp high.
Front fan makes no diff, clean hs base and die, re apply compound, no
difference.

Old February 18th 04, 10:55 PM
BigBadger

Have you got a rear exhaust fan in your case?
maybe you just need to invest is a better quality heatsink...I like the
Thermalright SLK800 / 900, they can be quiet if you select the right fan.
I'm running an XP2600+ @ 2595MHz with 2.1V and it never goes over 48C full
load...at default settings it's around 38C full load.

Old February 19th 04, 03:19 AM
Andrew Portess

"KB" wrote in message
"66C is too hot"
Like I said, no problem with HSF, no problem with Thermal compound.
Very thin layer on clean die and heatsink.
There are others who have their 2800's getting up to 66c under load.
If I had the 4500rpm fan that I used to(Coolermaster HAC-81) then max cpu
temp under load was and would be a lot less than 66c.
Reason one for not having it still: too much noise and vibration.
Reason two for present HSF: hours of too much noise.
If room temp is low then cpu temp drops
if high the cpu temp high.
Front fan makes no diff, clean hs base and die, re apply compound, no
difference.

Check the VCore in the bios and set to 1.65, sometimes at the default
setting it will be 1.7 or 1.75 and this will make the CPU run hotter. My
2500 + jumped upto 75oC when I installed a new vid card which blocked air
flows, reducing VCore dropped temp down to 50oC.

Andy

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
temp? Toshi1873 Homebuilt PC's 1 April 9th 04 11:18 PM
CPU cooler and temp information stuff (kind of long) Roger M Overclocking AMD Processors 1 March 8th 04 12:20 PM
Confused over AMD PR rating Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 28th 04 02:18 AM
GA 7N400-PRO...new bios NewB Overclocking AMD Processors 5 August 19th 03 09:06 AM