Lexmark printer X5250 . . . check for spyware?

Old November 9th 04, 06:42 PM
Dave C.

Default Lexmark printer X5250 . . . check for spyware?

I found this posted on misc.consumers

The author refers to a data-mining program installed automatically with
Lexmark printer driver software. In the other ng, he's getting his ass
flamed off. I don't understand that reaction. If what he wrote is true,
and I owned this particular printer, I would want to KNOW that Lexmark was
spying on me. And if this IS true, I would be inclined NOT to purchase a
Lexmark printer. Not that I'd considered it anyway, but spyware would be a
solid reason to spend your money on a different brand, IMHO.

Anyway, I just was wondering if someone here in this ng happens to own this
particular printer. If so, can you verify the following? -Dave

(The following was NOT written by me):

Yes, Lexmark is now in the Spyware business!

Just the other day I purchased a new Lexmark X5250 All-in-one printer.
I installed it as per the instructions and monitored the install with
Norton as I do with all new software.

On reviewing the install log I noticed a program called Lx_CATS had
been placed in the c:\program files directory. I investigated and
found a data log and an initialisation file called Lx_CATS.ini.
Further investigation of this file showed that Lexmark had, without my
permission, loaded a Trojan backdoor on to my computer. Furthermore,
it is embedded into the system registry, so average users would likely
never know it was there and active.

This Lexmark Trojan was programmed to monitor my use of the printer by
way of data collected from two DLLs in the c:\program files\lexmark500
folder. The Trojan would then send information on printer usage,
including types of print activity, scanning activity, OCR activity
etc., back to a hidden URL at 30 day intervals.

The URL, www.lxkcc1.com, is identified as being owned by Lexmark.

When I called and spoke with Lexmark support, they denied all
knowledge of any such program, and suggested I had somehow been
infected by a virus. When I challenged them with the facts, they
ultimately aknowleged that this was indeed activity tracking software
that reported printer and cartridge use back to them for "survey"
purposes. Lexmark said that "no personal data" was relayed by the
program, and that I could not be personally identified by it. However
- the program transmits the printer serial number, and when I
registered the warranty with Lexmark, they recorded my personal
information along with the serial number. How much effort does it take
to match the two?

I call it spying! I was not advised of this part of the installation,
nor was I asked to agree to be part of any such data gathering
activity. I see this as a breach of my privacy, and as deplorable
behaviour by Lexmark.

Lexmark users beware! But, they may not be the only ones stealing your
private information.

Old November 9th 04, 06:52 PM
JAD

#1 firewall and nothing finds its way out...
#2 During the install there is an accept this blah blah screen, almost
every time. Clicking 'accept' without reading, is a MOF these days.
#3 All hardware is going to be phoning home soon (HP-Epson ordering
cartridges after detecting low ink, yeah right.) Opening the door to
phoning home to find out if you have the 'right' to print whatever
your printing.

Old November 9th 04, 07:04 PM
Dave C.

#1 firewall and nothing finds its way out...
#2 During the install there is an accept this blah blah screen, almost
every time. Clicking 'accept' without reading, is a MOF these days.
#3 All hardware is going to be phoning home soon (HP-Epson ordering

#1 Most people don't even know what a firewall is. I can't count the
number of computer users I've had to explain this term to, especially since
the AOL software started checking for Anti-Virus and firewall software and
reporting these as MISSING on the log-in screen.

#2 You think Lexmark or anybody else is going to announce in the EULA that
they are installing spyware on your computer?

#3 If we are stupid enough to allow that to come to pass, we deserve what
we get. If you don't buy hardware or software that supports such tactics,
the companies that promote it will be out of business soon. -Dave

Old November 9th 04, 07:32 PM
JAD

#1 firewall and nothing finds its way out...
#2 During the install there is an accept this blah blah screen,

almost

#3 All hardware is going to be phoning home soon (HP-Epson

ordering

#1 Most people don't even know what a firewall is. I can't count

the
number of computer users I've had to explain this term to,

especially since
the AOL software started checking for Anti-Virus and firewall

software and
reporting these as MISSING on the log-in screen.

ignorance is no excuse, but it is every where. AOL is the biggest 'big
brother' of all. They are positioning themselves, as the #1 government
sanctioned provider.

#2 You think Lexmark or anybody else is going to announce in the

EULA that
they are installing spyware on your computer?

Yes they do. In almost all cases ('creative' and AOL is a good one) if
they installed something you agreed to it unknowingly. There should be
a warning screen " You lazy jackass, you didn't even scroll the 5
pages of eula + no click on the continuing 'link" that further
explains the Attached eula and any addtions to the eula and the FAQ
for the attached eula." Yet you clicked accept...we now own your
family..

#3 If we are stupid enough to allow that to come to pass, we

deserve what
we get. If you don't buy hardware or software that supports such

tactics,
the companies that promote it will be out of business soon. -Dave

Already in the motion, and you wont have much of a choice if you like
to be in the state -of -the art reahlm of technology. It will be
slowly introduced as to not alarm, but it will become what it is
intended to be. China is a big reason why this WILL happen.

Old November 9th 04, 07:40 PM
Dave C.

Already in the motion, and you wont have much of a choice if you like
to be in the state -of -the art reahlm of technology. It will be
slowly introduced as to not alarm, but it will become what it is
intended to be. China is a big reason why this WILL happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment about China. Could you
elaborate? -Dave

Old November 9th 04, 07:58 PM
JAD

China is the #1 pirating country and has the tech to be so. makes
millions on other peoples work. Rarely if at all, recognizes any
country's copyright laws. Thusly propagating the 'NEED' as the GOV
will put it, to enforce hardcoded copyright. Its all about money.
WEIN!

http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

Old November 10th 04, 05:10 AM

"Dave C." wrote in message
Already in the motion, and you wont have much of a choice if you

like
to be in the state -of -the art reahlm of technology. It will be
slowly introduced as to not alarm, but it will become what it is
intended to be. China is a big reason why this WILL happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment about China. Could you
elaborate? -Dave

Fascinating! Absolutely fascinating! Not a single reply understood what
the poster was saying. Fascinating! China? What the hell does that have
to do with Lexmark installing spyware on a computer? Dave, walk away. You
do not want to fool around with these cretins.

Old November 10th 04, 05:15 AM
JAD

I answered the OP, cretin...it was Dave who elaborated, cretin you
walk away, cretin... new word of the day "cretin" brought to you by
the letter "C" and Bob.