Memory question

Old February 15th 17, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Memory question

Bill Cunningham wrote:
That's it Paul! That's my motherboard. So there's no video settings to
change ? The computer will just take so much RAM then. OK.

Bill

The BIOS has two settings, 64MB and 128MB.

You can reduce it to 64MB if you want.

Unfortunately, it doesn't offer any lower settings
(i.e. a setting suited to a couple frame buffers maybe).

Paul
Old February 15th 17, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 02/15/2017 11:48 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
news
On 02/13/2017 10:47 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
I have put a new memory stick into my XP x64. I removed two 512 MB
sticks. This new one is 1024 MB. Why would my system still be saying I
have
896 MB of ram? Do I need to do something in BIOS? When I had a 1024 and a
512 MB in there it was showing I had 1.3 GB of ram.

How much Ram can XP X64 handle. Only as much as winserver 2003?

Bill

It is being assigned to on-board video.

There may be a way to adjust that in the bios but you should leave it
alone. I'd just put in the 1024 stick and a 512 stick or else purchase one
more stick of 1024

If you end up putting in two 1024 sticks and there is a bios adjustment
for video ram, I'd actually assign more that the 128 megs currently
alloted.

Well see the thing is, some computers want the smaller stick in the
first slot. Others the second. Some don't seem to care. And I believe
sometimes you don't mix an old stick with a newer one.

Bill

If you mix two different RAM types all that usually happens is it will
clock at the slowest speed. I'd just get an exact match for the 1024
stick you have then max out the video RAM (if the bios allows it)

Question about SDR memory vs DDR memory Andy in NJ General 13 July 9th 04 09:29 AM
memory question - anyone know of reputable sellers on Ebay for memory? db General 9 May 9th 04 04:33 AM
Memory question Rap Homebuilt PC's 5 April 27th 04 07:53 PM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 12:25 PM
Memory Upgrade Question (a different question) WSZsr Dell Computers 1 July 15th 03 12:58 AM