PSP2 has PS3 quality graphics

Old December 11th 10, 01:58 AM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
The Closer

Default PSP2 has PS3 quality graphics

On Dec 11, 4:53*am, (GMAN) wrote:
In article , Doug Jacobs wrote:In alt.games.video.xbox Jim wrote:
"parallax-scroll" wrote in message
Industry analyst Michael Pachter thinks the PSP2 will be dead on
arrival, but if it packs such a visual punch, would you be tempted?
I going to have to buy one just to prove Patcher wrong.
Sounds like it going to have a worse battery life than the first PSP.

I wonder if it's such a good idea to compare the PSP2 to the PS3 so much....

Does this mean the PSP2 is going to cost $300-400 at launch?

Its rumored the 3DS will.

I'll guarantee you it won't be (and I can speak from experience as I'm
an inter-corporate pricing analyst by profession both SCEA and MS are
my clients). The launch price of the 3DS will be 249.99.
Old December 12th 10, 05:36 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
The Closer

On Dec 11, 9:58*am, Miles Bader wrote:
The Closer writes:
Anyway the PSP2 - here are my thoughts -- the biggest factor to its
success is not going to its graphics ability but the screen quality --
it really needs a screen the same quality as the iPhone 4 otherwise
I'm inclined to agree with Pachter. Sony needed multiple attempts to
get the screen right on the PSP1 -- this makes me very apprehensive
whether they could pull off the PSP2

There's also the question of to what extent, having obsessed over the
graphics, Sony will manage to screw up the controls / ergonomics /
form-factor / pricing.

They don't have a good track record...

Another thing: Launch library.

If Sony think they can rely on ports of old PS1/2 game libraries for
launch titles, they're in for a rude shock.

The launch library of the 3DS will be *massive* (If not unprecedented)
and that's not even considering the 3D movie titles.
Old December 14th 10, 10:09 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
Doug Jacobs[_2_]

In alt.games.video.xbox Miles Bader wrote:
There's also the question of to what extent, having obsessed over the
graphics, Sony will manage to screw up the controls / ergonomics /
form-factor / pricing.

A rumored mockup of the PSP2 I've seen basically looks like the PSP-Go,
only with 2 analog sticks placed near the bottom center. If this is the
design of the PSP2, I'm going to be really curious how exactly Sony
expects you to play this thing without your hands getting tired trying to
hold it up by the center like that while your waggle your thumbs.

Time will tell...

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.
Old December 15th 10, 04:57 AM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
The Closer

On Dec 15, 8:09*am, Doug Jacobs wrote:
In alt.games.video.xbox Miles Bader wrote:

There's also the question of to what extent, having obsessed over the
graphics, Sony will manage to screw up the controls / ergonomics /
form-factor / pricing.

A rumored mockup of the PSP2 I've seen basically looks like the PSP-Go,
only with 2 analog sticks placed near the bottom center.

Can you be specific as to which "mock-up" you are referring to?

*If this is the
design of the PSP2, I'm going to be really curious how exactly Sony

If it's a "mock-up" is based on the GO, it's more than likely coming a
fan, in which case it not going to be the *actual* design.

expects you to play this thing without your hands getting tired trying to
hold it up by the center like that while your waggle your thumbs.

If the leaked photo is close to the actual design (see link below)
than the positioning of the thumb-sticks is fine. '
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5203/...8d789e756e.jpg
Old December 15th 10, 02:15 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
Miles Bader[_2_]

The Closer writes:
If it's a "mock-up" is based on the GO, it's more than likely coming a
fan, in which case it not going to be the *actual* design.

Incidentally, is there a consensus as to why the psp go failed so badly?
Ergonomics? Price? "Meh"?

-Miles

--
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. -- Steven Wright
Old December 15th 10, 05:21 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
The alMIGHTY N

On Dec 9, 12:15*pm, Doug Jacobs wrote:
In alt.games.video.xbox GameJunkie wrote:

For once I agree with Pachter (call security we lost one) , anyway
he's right with the 3DS coming out the PSP2 has little chance of
catching any sales.

Yes because obviously the handheld market is made up no one but kids and
overgrown Pokemon fans who want to see Pikachu in 3d...

You do realize that you're making the same type of snap judgement in
your response that you seem to be accusing GameJunkie of making in
his, right?

Sony's only barrier to success is Sony itself. *IF the PSP2 can do
everything Sony says it can AND for a reasonable price (under $300) then
they'll do fine. *I just seriously hope they don't only shovel existing
PS2 and PS3 titles onto it.

Define "fine." It sounds to me like the same level of success that the
PSP has enjoyed is good enough for its successor in your eyes because
really that's about all Sony can hope for.

They appear to have not learned their lesson from their first round.
If the PSP 2 is going to just do the same thing as the PSP did - put
the console experience in your hands on the go - then it can't be any
more successful than the PSP is.

They seem to have ignored the important tenant that the core aspect of
successful mobile games is that they provide a distinctly different
game play experience than console games do. If you're going to provide
a console like experience - even with console like graphics - and
charge the consumer nearly the same price as the console, why in the
Hell would they bother buying that device? Why play the mobile version
of Resistance or Uncharted when you can just play it on your PS3 at
home with better graphics, better performance and likely more content?

The PSP is doing okay, of course, but it's in a distant second place
to Nintendo's offerings, and that's the way it will be in this next
generation as the 3DS provides an all-new experience while the PSP 2
is just more of the same, just prettier.

I haven't played handhelds since those little football games in the
70's -80's, (with little dots and blips as players) but the 3DS has
enticed me to get a handheld.

--
It's not broken. *It's...advanced.

Old December 15th 10, 05:23 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
The alMIGHTY N

On Dec 9, 6:51*am, The Closer wrote:
On Dec 9, 2:26*pm, Tom wrote:

On 12/8/2010 10:48 AM, parallax-scroll wrote:

PSP2 has PS3 quality graphics - report
Wednesday 8-Dec-2010 9:40 AM "As far as graphics are concerned, the
PSP2 is a beast"

27 CommentsThe PSP2 has a graphical output comparable to early PS3
titles, reports are suggesting.

According to an IGN "source" who's had "direct hands-on experience
with the forthcoming handheld", the PSP2 runs with just over half the
PS3's processing power, but a smaller display means that graphical
quality could match the beefy console.

"As far as graphics are concerned, the PSP2 is a beast, packing enough
processing hardware to produce graphics comparable to early
PlayStation 3 titles," says IGN.

"The processor, we're told, is just over half as powerful as the PS3,
though the specific framework of the cores and the clock speed was not
revealed.

"While the device isn't as powerful as the PlayStation 3, its
components should allow it to sufficiently play games of comparable
graphical quality due to the fact that it is rendering to a smaller,
lower-resolution display than a full 1080p HDTV."

The IGN report also supports previous rumours about some of the
device's features. It's said to be bigger than the PSPGo, and to run
downloadable or expandable memory-based games like its predecessor.

It has front and rear facing cameras and two analogue sticks like the
original PSP but they have a concave indent, which should stop your
thumbs slipping off them.

Industry analyst Michael Pachter thinks the PSP2 will be dead on
arrival, but if it packs such a visual punch, would you be tempted?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=279536

What does this have to do with the Xbox NG?

Does it really matter anymore? This place gets more spam than actual
content. By next summer nobody will be posting here anymore. Any games
related post is welcome.

Anyway the PSP2 - here are my thoughts -- the biggest factor to its
success is not going to its graphics ability but the screen quality --
it really needs a screen the same quality as the iPhone 4 otherwise
I'm inclined to agree with Pachter. Sony needed multiple attempts to
get the screen right on the PSP1 *-- this makes me very apprehensive
whether they could pull off the PSP2

I don't think they needed multiple attempts so much as needed to stop
being cheap asses and invest in a high resolution screen in the first
place. There's nothing inherently special about the iPhone's screen...
it just supports higher resolution. Hell, even the earlier iPhones
with the lower screen resolution look better than the PSP does, and
the jump from the iPod Touch 3rd generation to the iPod Touch 4th
generation is remarkable.
Old December 15th 10, 05:26 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
The alMIGHTY N

On Dec 12, 11:36*am, The Closer wrote:
[...]

You're absolutely correct, and that's where Sony's greatest challenge
lies. They *don't* have a good track record with new tech, and
developers aren't going to be confident in investing in all new IPs or
even new entries in existing IPs on an untested Sony platform. I
guarantee that most developers will have learned the lesson Sony
probably didn't about the need to provide a brand new experience and
so won't be putting anything more than ports or rudimentary expansions
to their games on the new device.

On the other hand, it's impossible for any developer worth its weight
in gold to look at the 3DS and not think about how much potential
there is to create all new IPs or put brand new spins on existing IPs
resulting in a much better launch library.

The 3DS will make a *HUGE* splash in the market whereas the PSP 2 is
almost 100% guaranteed to be lackluster in comparison.
Old December 15th 10, 06:20 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
Doug Jacobs[_2_]

In alt.games.video.xbox The alMIGHTY N wrote:
You're absolutely correct, and that's where Sony's greatest challenge
lies. They *don't* have a good track record with new tech, and
developers aren't going to be confident in investing in all new IPs or
even new entries in existing IPs on an untested Sony platform. I
guarantee that most developers will have learned the lesson Sony
probably didn't about the need to provide a brand new experience and
so won't be putting anything more than ports or rudimentary expansions
to their games on the new device.

Actually I'd say Sony has a rep for great technology - just lousy software
support both in terms of OS and 3rd party applications.

For instance, the PSP is a great piece of technology but couldn't Sony
have spent a bit more time to make it easier for people to transfer media
to it? This stuff with specially named folders and such was pretty silly.

Sony also has a pretty bad rep for providing good support or tools to 3rd
party developers. They might have been able to get away with that with
the PS1 and PS2 but things are a lot more competitive now, and if Sony
wants the PSP2 to have a chance at competing with the 3DS they're going to
have to really work hard to woo those developers.

On the other hand, it's impossible for any developer worth its weight
in gold to look at the 3DS and not think about how much potential
there is to create all new IPs or put brand new spins on existing IPs
resulting in a much better launch library.

The 3DS will make a *HUGE* splash in the market whereas the PSP 2 is
almost 100% guaranteed to be lackluster in comparison.

I think it still remains to be seen just how well the 3DS can pull off the
3D effect. So far we've only got a handful of previews from folks who got
a chance to use one for just a few minutes. I'm interested to know how
they're going to feel after a few hours. Will the 3D effect continue to
be useful or will it just feel like it's getting in the way? Will
developers be able to make good use of it, or will it feel like a last
minute feature that was tacked on?

I still think there's plenty of room for the PSP2 on the market but the
developers there are going to have to do more than just port PS2/PS3
titles to the PSP2. I also hope they do more than simply take PS2/PS3
franchises and continue them on the PSP2, even though I fully enjoyed the
Ratchet & Clank PSP title.

Maybe if Sony is smart, they'll extend elements from the PS3 onto the
PSP2. How about linking your PS3 profile with the PSP2 and offer trophies
and such with PSP2 games? How about streaming apps? Netflix and Hulu on
the PSP2 would make a lot of sense wouldn't it?

Ah, well, one can dream.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.
Old December 15th 10, 06:25 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
Doug Jacobs[_2_]

In alt.games.video.xbox The Closer wrote:
A rumored mockup of the PSP2 I've seen basically looks like the PSP-Go,
only with 2 analog sticks placed near the bottom center.

Can you be specific as to which "mock-up" you are referring to?

It's the one published in the January issue of Game Informer. Looked
something like this:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6283483.html

except that the one in Game Informer had the thumb sticks even closer
together.

?If this is the
design of the PSP2, I'm going to be really curious how exactly Sony

If it's a "mock-up" is based on the GO, it's more than likely coming a
fan, in which case it not going to be the *actual* design.

They don't pretend that this is going to be the actual design, only a rumor
of what some think it might look like.

expects you to play this thing without your hands getting tired trying to
hold it up by the center like that while your waggle your thumbs.

If the leaked photo is close to the actual design (see link below)
than the positioning of the thumb-sticks is fine. '
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5203/...8d789e756e.jpg

That would be a lot better compared to the one I posted.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.