Nvidia 9600GT Font Rendering Looks Terrible

Old April 25th 08, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default Nvidia 9600GT Font Rendering Looks Terrible

Augustus wrote:
I looked, there is no 23" Viewsonic with a 1920x1200 WS native panel, but
there is a 24" VX2435WM. Do you have that?

There actually is....
http://store.shopila.net/vp2330wb766907150919.html

There is! At $1,600 (in stock) at that site...out of stock at $350 at
another site, but in stock at $550 at another. Nice. Now let's see if
the OP has that.
Old April 25th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

The Viewsonic VP2330wb monitor does have a 1920*1200 setting. I haven't
looked at their model list for a while. Perhaps it was replaced by a 24
inch model. I turned off the resolution notice message informing the
operator "for best results the monitor should be set to 1920*1200. And
I did install the most up to date drivers. I'm beginning to think there
is a compatibility issue between Viewsonic and Nvidia. And yes this is
my first LCD screen. The compact size is a definite advantage. But I'm
beginning to think that the tube monitors are better in many ways.

That model uses 1920WS as its native resolution (according to the spec
sheet). So keep adjusting the various settings of text, particularly
size and cleartype and it will look acceptable. Or not.

There is no systemic 'compatibility issue' between Viewsonic displays
and nvidia cards, that's silly talk, but you may have a wonky cable,
some unusual configuration problem, or some setting you just haven't
stumbled upon yet.

CRTs provide superior image quality in a whole host of ways over LCD
panels, but both have readability issues with text at high resolution
and both have workarounds. For example, I recall there being several
different implementations of Cleartype, like there are different methods
of FSAA, maybe one of those other versions would work better?
Old April 25th 08, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Makhno

I activated the ClearType and things do look better. However at
1920*1200 resolution the typeface isn't black, white, or any consistent
color. Each character is made up of several different colors and it
doesn't matter whether I'm using small, large, or custom font settings.
Is there any way to fix this?

Poor quality DVI/VGA cable? Those high resolutions can stress them,
particularly ifs it's 5m or more.
Old April 25th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Makhno

By the way, you said that you were turning your resolution back DOWN
to 1600 x 1200, from 1290 x 1200. That is wrong terminology. You are
turning the resolution UP to 1600 x 1200, from the lower setting of
1290 x 1200.

or just a typo as there is no standard resolution of 1290 (there is
1280...)

Or perhaps 1920x1200 ... which explains his comment about turning the
resolution down rather than up.
Old April 25th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Poor quality DVI/VGA cable? Those high resolutions can stress them,
particularly ifs it's 5m or more.

Not, obviously not that. Please think this through. You read his post. Same
monitor, same cable, but went from an ATI X1600 to an Nvidia 9600GT. It's
one of two things, or a combination of both. Going from an ATI card to an
Nvidia by just uninstalling the old drivers via Control Panel - Add/Remove
and then running the Nvidia drivers onto the system can be a major issue.
You need to use a driver and registry cleaner to do a proper job when going
over from one side to the other. The *.inf files likely have not been
installed after the switch, and it's possible that he has his display set
at an incorrect refresh rate (70Hz vs 60Hz)

Old April 25th 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

I just upgraded the video card on my PC from an ATI X1600 series to
a Nvidia 9600GT series card. First I uninstalled the ATI Control
Center and drivers as to their instructions. I then shut down the
machine and changed cards. And then I installed the Nvidia drivers.

This is not the ideal procedure when switching from an ATI card to an Nvidia
card. In fact, I would bet that this is likely the cuase of your issues,
along with possibly an incorrect refresh rate and *.inf file install. Use a
driver cleaner like this...

I've had multiple issues when switching from an installed ATI card to an
Nvidia one, mostly because I followed ATI's recommended procedure. Going
from an Nvidia card to an ATI card rarely has the same issues.

Old April 25th 08, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
MickT

I suppose your 23in Viewsonic will look similer to my 24in BenQ,try
Display Property - Setting - Advanced -
General - DPI setting - Custom setting : set it to 150% (144 dpi)

If you are running Xp, download a PowerToy call "ClearType Tuner" from MS or
use the online one
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/Step1.aspx

to fine tune the anti-aliasing visual effect.

"Don" wrote in message
I just upgraded the video card on my PC from an ATI X1600 series to a
Nvidia 9600GT series card. First I uninstalled the ATI Control Center and
drivers as to their instructions. I then shut down the machine and changed
cards. And then I installed the Nvidia drivers. Everything works fine
except one thing. When I crank up the resolution on my Viewsonic 23 inch
flat panel to 1290*1200 the font rendering looks terrible. Characters and
words are almost impossible to read. When I turn the resolution back to
1600*1200 like it is now, things look a lot better. Is there anything I
can do to restore the higher resolution? In some ways this video card is
more compatible with my monitor than the ATI. For one thing, the DVI-D
mode works just fine.

Thanks

Old April 25th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"MickT" wrote in message ...
I suppose your 23in Viewsonic will look similer to my 24in BenQ,try
Display Property - Setting - Advanced -
General - DPI setting - Custom setting : set it to 150% (144 dpi)

Again, this isn't about the monitor....he had no issues with his older ATI
X1600 card on the same monitor.

Old April 26th 08, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Augustus wrote:
"MickT" wrote in message ...
I suppose your 23in Viewsonic will look similer to my 24in BenQ,try
Display Property - Setting - Advanced -
General - DPI setting - Custom setting : set it to 150% (144 dpi)

Again, this isn't about the monitor....he had no issues with his older ATI
X1600 card on the same monitor.

It would be nice if one could say post a screenshot so as not to be
talking out our collective asses.
Old April 26th 08, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"deimos" deimos@localhost wrote in message
Augustus wrote:
"MickT" wrote in message
I suppose your 23in Viewsonic will look similer to my 24in BenQ,try
Display Property - Setting - Advanced -
General - DPI setting - Custom setting : set it to 150% (144 dpi)

Again, this isn't about the monitor....he had no issues with his older
ATI X1600 card on the same monitor.

It would be nice if one could say post a screenshot so as not to be
talking out our collective asses.

It's not totally out of our asses....

a) fonts were fine before apparently
b) all hardware identical except the videocard
c) went ATI to Nvidia
d) did not use a driver cleaner
e) seems clueless regarding refresh rates and monitor settings

but I agree...his lack of info and response is frustrating.