Q: Why don't desktops us mobile cpus?

Old December 21st 05, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Q: Why don't desktops us mobile cpus?

"Well someone has to be first."
I actualy saw that answer coming and agree to an extent. However as for
today the answer still stands.

"You haven't been in the newsgroups much otherwise you'd have read all the
posts about heating and noise. Laptops don't seem to have those issues."
I havn't been in THIS newsgroup much. People whine about heat because they
want to overclock more. I've never heard of a single person complaining
about thier store bought PC generating too much heat? Especialy from an AMD
system. None of my systems have ever raised the tempurature of a HOUSEHOLD
room.

"My money and computing is irreverent as to why AMD and Intel continue to
produce "desktop" cpus. I understand for use in workstations and servers
but not for Joe and Jane Average. If Intel only produces "mobile" type
cpus everyone would buy "mobile" cpus and motherboards."
You just keep going around in circles. "WHY" has already been answered.
Your money and buying paterns along with everyone elses is exactly why there
are not many mobile solutions for desktops.

Also your comment about Intel ONLY producing mobile processors makes no
sense or I guess I should say it's a pointless comment. Of course if that's
all they produced then that would be our only choice. They obvioously DON'T
do that for all the reasons you have been given.

"Youngsters don't remember that early PCs were developed and manufactured
only for office use and enthusiasts who could obtain PCs until Flight
Simulator, Sinclair and Apple opened the market."
Um....ok...????? Yeah sure....

Old December 21st 05, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

It is you who doesn't know the FULL meaning of GREEN.
Yes you did mention three(power heat noise) of the things that make up
'GREEN' but failed to mention the others.
Even asked the WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT? question. so I answered it. It is you
that obviously never read the whole article that your complaining about.

Your hole is full, with your foot. Your question was stupid, so I didn't
answer it, mainly because you opened the door to the 'green' definition and
so therefore on the topic you started. Before opening your mouth or typing,
think A little instead of spouting off. AFA pricky little posts that turn to
**** fits... your the queen.

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
"HELLOOOOOOOOO you brought it up ...you know..... YOUR 'GREEN' comment.
Hows about you remembering what you post?"

My green comment eh? So did you read the word green then stop reading?
What came after that? Noise, Heat and Power?
Maybe you should read ALL of what someone says before you attempt to
speak. I used the term GREEN in the context of this thread. You failed to
stay within the context of this thread and you still didn't answer my
question. So I guess even you are lost.

Maybe you should quit now before you dig an even deeper hole. Oh
wait...let me guess your replys are going to get nastier and nastier
(along with dumber and dumber) until this turns in to a ****
fit....hum....

Old December 21st 05, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
Not sure what your exact point was.

I believe that's because you don't understand that using electricity costs
more than money.

All you did was just put a laptop on someones desk. In that case then
this entire thread is BS. If you want a crappy HDD and you want a crappy
cd type drive and no expansion what-so-ever then YES your 60/30W example
will hold true. But then again just buy a friggen laptop and use that
instead of a desktop unit.

I'm not suggesting buying all low power parts, just the most power hungry
part of the computer.

BUT, that's not the case. The question at hand is building a DESKTOP unit
with a mobile processor that needs to run 12v cd type drives and 12v HDDs.
So your 60/30W example goes right out the window. Sorry, try again.

Not really. The CPU uses the most power (besides the monitor which can't be
reduced). A mobile CPU will likely use 30W less (I don't have the exact
figures). Multiply that by 1million machines and you're saving 30 megawatts.

Gargravarr,

A typical desktop computer draws about 60 Watts of power;

Is that accurate? I thought a p4 cpu on it's own used 60watts?

Want it to cost nothing?? Turn off a couple of incandescent lamps. Same
idea goes for every room that a PC is used in.
Throw away a few toasters, electric kettles and other useless appliances
and you'll actually *save* money.

Who the frig has incandescent lights these days? Energy saving lights are
$10 for a pack of 4, the most powerful light in my house is 13 watts. I'd
have to turn off every light in my house off (typically I'd have 4 to 6
lights on). And that assumes I'm using my PC at night! Toasters and kettles
use a ****load of power but only for short periods.

Granted the saving aren't that great but if motherboards came down in price
then it would be a worthwhile idea. For all I know the motherboards are
cheap anyway and someone here said the cpus cost a small percentage more.

Michael

Old December 21st 05, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Then buy a laptop! Your point still eludes me.

If you put a mobile processor in a DESKTOP case with DESKTOP components you
will NOT save anything. You wont save power and you wont save money. Not
enough to force manufactures to create MORE PRODUCT then they already are
producing.

You keep responding with the same thing. I DON'T NEED THAT MUCH COMPUTING
POWER. Yet you keep failing to answer the same question that people keep
asking you. Even though sometimes it was a "round about" point.

What are you trying to GAIN by doing this?

"Maybe I should have asked why are there desktop cpus now that there are
mobile cpus"
Sorry, but that's a silly question. So I guess now that we have hybrid cars
why are we still making and buying gas cars? Or maybe EVERY car company
should make only Kia Rio's? I think the real problem here is you are
unaware of the statistics of the average PC user. You seem to think the
average user doesn't need any power. I think you are wrong. More
businesses use computers then home users so Intel STILL needs to make
powerful cpu's so like you where told before, why should they make twice as
many cpu's just because you want them to? I think Intel has a pretty good
handle on the market and I think they know a little more about what they
should or shouldn't do then you.

"So if Intel/AMD stopped making "desktop" cpus and only manufactured
"mobile" cpus what would be the loss?"
Actually the real question would be, what would be the gain? Also maybe YOU
don't give a damn about power (horsepower) but many of us do so I would
kindly appreciate it if you NEVER become the world dominator on cpu's and
take away my consumer right to have a very powerful system just because you
are on some green peace trip.

Old December 21st 05, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Yup, I was right. Oh well here we go again.

It's so hard to talk down to the level of one such as you.

"Yes you did mention three(power heat noise) of the things that make up
'GREEN' but failed to mention the others."
Let me explain this AGAIN. I didn't FAIL to mention the others because the
others HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD. If you can't understand that
then I'm sorry I guess I just can't dummy myself up enough for you.

"so I answered it"
See, there's the problem, you are answering NONE EXISTENT questions.

"Even asked the WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT?"
Yeah, very good. It's obvious you can read. The problem is you don't
understand what you are reading. So let me explain it AGAIN. "What's that
all about" was directed to a post that was discussing NOISE, HEAT and POWER.
That's why I hit on each of those topics.

If you wish to continue to make yourself look like a bigger ass then you
already have then feel free to continue.

Old December 21st 05, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Michael C wrote:
"ISOHaven" wrote in message

[...]

The test setup briefly.
***Power consumption was compared by measuring power usage for
the entire testbed system, sans monitor, at the wall outlet.***

The testbed system included:

Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard
1GB of Corsair XMS 3200XL DDR400 memory
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT graphics card
Asus DVD-ROM drive
Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB SATA hard drive
OCZ PowerStream 470W power supply.

(The 130nm chip used was actually an Athlon 64 3800+
underclocked to 2.2GHz, for what it's worth.)

Power consumption on a similarly-configured Pentium 4was also
tested the system was based on:
Abit AA8 DuraMax motherboard
1GB of OCZ DDR2 533MHz memory
PCI-E version of the GeForce 6800 GT (all other components were
the same as the Athlon 64 rig).
The Pentium 4 was a Prescott 90nm core running at 3.4GHz.

Update: Cool'n'Quiet was not enabled on the Socket 939 motherboard.

In order to strain the processors several different ways,
several regular CPU benchmarks were run and measurements taken
with each of them running. These tests have been used many times
in reviews like this one. Also included is the Sphinx speech
recognition benchmark, Sciencemark's "moldyn" molecular dynamics
computation, and Xmpeg video encoding with the DivX codec.

As you can see, this is a 3 config fully loaded system.

Worse case power consumption scenerio:

Athlon 64 3500+ 90 nm 151 Watts
Athlon 64 3500+ 130nm 179 Watts
Pentium P4 3.4 GHz 90nm 236 Watts

Don't seem to nearly the power pigs you think they are huh?

--

Gargravarr

"One of the major problems of time travel is... one of grammer."

**The Restaurant at the End of the Universe**
Old December 21st 05, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"I believe that's because you don't understand that using electricity costs
more than money."
I understand that just fine but you have not proven that using a mobile cpu
will actualy save anything versus a cheap AMD. Yes, now I'm saying AMD
which should have been said from the beging but someone mentioned P4 so we
kept going with that.

"The CPU uses the most power."
"A mobile CPU will likely use 30W less."
"Multiply that by 1million machines and you're saving 30 megawatts."

Your conclusion is based on finctional purhcases. Your end result is
meaningless. You assume 1 million people would chose a mobile cpu over a
regular cpu in a desktop environment.

Old December 21st 05, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

....and lets not leave out the fact that using a mobile cpu means less
processing power so it's going to take the cpu LONGER to compute thus using
MORE energy then you might think. This is why a real world study would have
to be done and we'll get nowhere here discussing this.

Old December 21st 05, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Your completely ignorant aren't you? YOU ask a question, give partial
descriptions of what something means, then want everyone to go along with
your incomplete description of GREEN, a topic that YOU introduced. Then spew
more nonsense, how your Psychic and know what people are going to
post.(after chummin the water) Then put on your POMPOUS ASS hat and
continue. STFU already, get a dictionary and look up 'green' in the context
of environment, get ejumacated. Down to my level?.... what a little turd.

Don't ask questions you don't want answered. Whats the heck is that all
about? Indeed!

Old December 21st 05, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
"I believe that's because you don't understand that using electricity
costs more than money."
I understand that just fine but you have not proven that using a mobile
cpu will actualy save anything versus a cheap AMD. Yes, now I'm saying
AMD which should have been said from the beging but someone mentioned P4
so we kept going with that.

"The CPU uses the most power."
"A mobile CPU will likely use 30W less."
"Multiply that by 1million machines and you're saving 30 megawatts."

Your conclusion is based on finctional purhcases. Your end result is
meaningless. You assume 1 million people would chose a mobile cpu over a
regular cpu in a desktop environment.

Your forgetting...THIS IS ALL YOUR OPINION of why things aren't done one way
or another. STFU quit making your simple opinion, sound like fact.

"Michael C" wrote in message
"ISOHaven" wrote in message
[...]

Tuning NF7-S and Athlon Mobile 2600+ for images and audio / low energy use [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 7 March 22nd 05 05:24 PM
Mobile desktops? Veritech Overclocking 2 February 7th 05 11:04 PM
Gigabyte GA-8IDML with mobile CPU? Cuzman Overclocking 1 December 8th 04 09:20 PM
AMD MObile CPUs? Krell Overclocking 3 April 12th 04 03:56 PM
Different mobile processors??? Henry Intel 7 September 16th 03 12:48 AM