Gateway 400X question

Old July 6th 03, 06:48 PM
Stell

Default Gateway 400X question

My daughter just got a 400X with ESS Allegro, onboard I believe, with WinXP
Home. It does not seem to support the bass/treble controls and so the
sound is a little "tinny" and she is not happy with it. The driver on the
Gateway site is not better than the one already installed. Is there any way
of fixing this short of getting a separate sound card?
Thank you for any help.

--
Stell©

p.s. Delivery time was a week less than they stated.

Old July 6th 03, 09:30 PM
Jeff S.

Since it's a laptop, there is no option for sound card upgrading.
About the only option is to use some desktop speakers.
Jeff

Old July 6th 03, 10:05 PM
Edward J. Neth

Even if there were bass and treble controls, it's unlikely to improve things
much - notebook speakers just are not capable of reproducing high fidelity
sound.

External speakers will work wonders. You cannot upgrade the sound on a
notebook computer other than to add an external USB sound box - Creative
sells one (the Extigy) but be careful with it - I've seen reports that it
does not work well with many notebook computers because of the current it
draws from the USB port.

Old July 7th 03, 05:21 PM
Jeff S.

A set of good, studio quality headphones would be an excellent option. You
can get some excellent bass and tone out of those. Plus, you hear all the
detail of the music/audio.
Good idea!!
Jeff S.