ZenBook on AC: Battery Still Supplying Power?

Old September 26th 14, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Default ZenBook on AC: Battery Still Supplying Power?

The Real Question: Am I extending my battery's lifetime by running on AC
whenever possible, or is it the same as running the battery down and
re-charging?

i.e. When running on AC, is the battery still supplying power and just
being re-charged on-the-fly? Or is the ZenBook smart enough to take
it's power from the AC source and leave the battery for when it's
needed?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old September 26th 14, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
The Real Question: Am I extending my battery's lifetime by running on AC
whenever possible, or is it the same as running the battery down and
re-charging?

i.e. When running on AC, is the battery still supplying power and just
being re-charged on-the-fly? Or is the ZenBook smart enough to take
it's power from the AC source and leave the battery for when it's
needed?

In general terms, if the battery is below 100%, it looks like this.

AC ---- adapter ----C---- computer current

battery

When the battery is full, the circuit switches like this.

AC ---- adapter ----C---- computer current

battery

You're not allowed to trickle charge lithium, which is
why it is disconnected when full.

With the adapter unplugged, it looks like this. Now
the battery provides current.

----C---- computer current
^

battery

If you run the battery to "0% charge" point, the
circuit looks like this.

----C---- computer current

battery

Some charge must be left on the battery, to prevent
conductive whiskers from growing. The charge controller
should not discharge the battery pack, below the
knee voltage. You get a shutdown warning, only
moments before the hardware takes action. So
there are two thresholds, a "warning" threshold that
sends an interrupt to the processor, as well as a
"hardware disconnect" that makes sure the user follows
the rules.

If the battery voltage drops below the knee voltage,
the adapter is not allowed to charge the battery.
And this is yet another safety policy. The battery
in that case, appears to be "dead". Whereas, it's just
below the knee voltage, and the charge controller leaves
it disconnected. If you force some current into it in
this state, then all the risks are on your head. And this
should tell you *not* to store the lithium battery for
long periods of time at 0% charge. Because it will
self-discharge below the knee and become "dead". If you
intend to leave lithium for long periods of time, leave
it at 60-70% charge, and verify charge once a year.

AC ---- adapter ----C---- computer current

battery (below knee, effectively dead)

HTH,
Paul
Old September 27th 14, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:16:15 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Paul:
In general terms, if the battery is below 100%, it looks like this.

AC ---- adapter ----C---- computer current

battery

When the battery is full, the circuit switches like this.

AC ---- adapter ----C---- computer current

battery

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear: if I make a habit out of
running the Zenbook on AC, not only will it not damage the battery - it
will probably extend it's life due to fewer charge-discharge cycles.

However....

I've read that you shouldn't "partially" discharge lithiums, that is,
run a short time on battery then recharge. There's a chance you'll do
that is you take it off the line occasionally. This concers me because
what you're intending is exactly the way I like to use my laptop.