Solution for X-Com Enemy Within Freezes and Crashes (Especially on terror mission)

Old November 16th 13, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Default Solution for X-Com Enemy Within Freezes and Crashes (Especially on terror mission)

Hello,

I've been playing some X-Com Enemy Within today and I noticed some
freezes/hangs and crashes.

I started to wonder if maybe multi tasking or some other timing related
setting is the cause of this.

Then later the game always frooze up on the first terror mission (london for
me).

First I tried changing the graphics settings to low or medium or high.

But finally this seemed to work, one of these three things below fixed it:

1. I renamed the file:
SN2473546944_SF_LOC_INC.upk
original_SN2473546944_SF_LOC_INC.upk

to deactive it, perhaps this was causing the freeze ups just like the first
version for some people.

But then I thought hmmm but unlikely strange so I also did this:

2. I deactivate v-sync.

3. I deactivate "frame smoothing"

I think option 2 or 3 could be the culprit.

Anyway this seemed to fix it.

(I also tried setting cpu affinity to just one cpu but that made the game
slow and didnt help the freezes, but the solution above worked... so now I
can enjoy the game some more... it's a long game.. so I will to continue
playing tomorrow or so

Pretty cool so far.. AI a bit better than previously I think.

Bye,
Bye,
For
Now
Skybuck.

Yeah have a terror/scary time... especially with those stealth
swarmers/stranglers or something cool ! =D

Old November 17th 13, 10:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

This posting of mine can probably be savely ignored...

The game still freezes/crashes.

So it simply was a fluke of luck !

The game is simply buggy, or maybe there is a driver issue...

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 17th 13, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Maybe updating steam may help.

So far so good !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 19th 13, 05:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Game is playable.

However one of the exalt/covert missions always crashes so far:

"Operation First Flame"

(France Dam)

It crashes after it's done loading and clicking launch mission.

Fortunately this mission can be skipped...

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 19th 13, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Ok, an additional perhaps even the main problem is found I think.

I noticed how xcom uses an insane ammount of "windows handles" up 64.000+

Windows does not like that.

So I think X-Com Enemy Within is somehow leaking windows handles, ultimately
leading to crashes and lock ups.

Bye,
Skybuck.