Skinny security drivers

Old July 20th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Skeleton Man

Default Skinny security drivers

Hi guys,

I have a set of like 20 different security bits to open almost anything, but
I keep running into the problem of the bit not fitting in the hole ! This
happens with normal drivers too obviously, but I can easily pick up a long
skinny phillips driver. I don't have any actual security drivers, just the
magnetic bits (and they're often too fat to fit in the hole).

Is it possible to get long skinny security bits or drivers ? I have a
magnetic phillips bit that's like 5 inches long (came in my toolkit) and I'd
love to have more bits like this.

Even if I could just find a skinny set of security torx drivers I'd be
happy.. I dunno why they need those things really (regular torx is obscure
enough to keep the average joe from tampering with things).

Has anyone ever tried drilling a center hole in a regular torx driver and
making their own secure torx driver ?

Chris

Old July 20th 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
. ..
Hi guys,

I have a set of like 20 different security bits to open almost anything,
but
I keep running into the problem of the bit not fitting in the hole ! This
happens with normal drivers too obviously, but I can easily pick up a long
skinny phillips driver. I don't have any actual security drivers, just the
magnetic bits (and they're often too fat to fit in the hole).

Google and eBay... Two underutilized resources.

Old July 21st 07, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Skeleton Man

Google and eBay... Two underutilized resources

Both of those are great for finding 50 different people selling the *bits*.
I want the actual drivers and the closest I found is allen wrenches with
secure torx end, which would also be too large to fit what I want. You ever
think that maybe, just maybe I did some searching first and *then* posted
here to see if anyone else had run into the issue ? (I'm not an idiot and
don't appreicate being treated as such)

Chris

Old July 21st 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Skeleton Man wrote:
[...]

Maybe you could contact someone here, and find what you want. If
what you currently own, is a short tip suitable for a magnetic
holder, the holder is probably too fat for reaching into
deep holes. You'd probably want something with a longer shaft
and separate handle system.

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxSecuritytorx.htm
http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/281...loc_Blades.htm

Paul
Old July 21st 07, 05:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=11188
http://www.bluemax.net/products/Cabl...rewdrivers.htm
http://www.mbelectronics.com/view.aspx?id=98
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Torx-Screwdriv...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-x-T-HANDLE-TAM... QcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Security-Torx-wr...QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.wihatools.com/100seri/111TRser.htm
http://www.wihatools.com/300seri/363TRpstar.htm
http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/757TRser.htm
http://www.aimelectronics.com/produc...rewdrivers.htm
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Cooper...rewdrivers.asp
http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...CTMP=1&LowCt=0
Old July 21st 07, 09:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
. ..
Google and eBay... Two underutilized resources

Both of those are great for finding 50 different people selling the
*bits*.
I want the actual drivers and the closest I found is allen wrenches with
secure torx end, which would also be too large to fit what I want. You
ever
think that maybe, just maybe I did some searching first and *then* posted
here to see if anyone else had run into the issue ? (I'm not an idiot and
don't appreicate being treated as such)

Well, if you weren't an idiot you would have mentioned that you weren't
having any luck with Google or eBay. That way someone might have suggested
some keywords to search on.

Old July 21st 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Skeleton Man

Maybe you could contact someone here, and find what you want. If
what you currently own, is a short tip suitable for a magnetic
holder, the holder is probably too fat for reaching into
deep holes. You'd probably want something with a longer shaft
and separate handle system.

Yes! That is exactly my problem ! Actually, even the bits themselves are too
fat.

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxSecuritytorx.htm
http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/281...loc_Blades.htm

These look good, I'll have to check what the diameter is, because they sound
like they're the same width as a normal magnetic bit, just 5 inches longer.

To Kony:

Thanks for the list, the ebay ones are a no-go for security torx because
only the short end is drilled (the longer shaft I would need is not drilled
for secure torx). The other sets and the folding tools look like a good
possibility.

Chris

Old July 21st 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Skeleton Man

Well, if you weren't an idiot you would have mentioned that you weren't
having any luck with Google or eBay. That way someone might have suggested
some keywords to search on.

If *you* weren't an idiot you would have assumed that I was posting here
because I'd already tried the two most common resources with little success.

Chris

Old July 22nd 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:11:32 -0400, "Skeleton Man"
wrote:

[...]

You might also try your local hardware store or Sears/etc.
There are also probably some sets at the various online tool
and supplier sites like McMaster-Carr,

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...CtlgPgNbr=2768

Whether these have the longer ends drilled out, I don't
know. Odds are fair that a lot of the sets you'd find are
the same thing made in China distributed under different
names. Speaking of cheap Chinese tools you might also check
at http://www.harborfreight.com , if you don't have a local
B&M HF.

Another option is the yellow pages, if you live anywhere
near a larger town there is probably a tool supplier within
driving
distance.http://cgi.ebay.com/7-S-K-FACOM-SECU...QQcmdZViewItem

Old July 23rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

wrote:

Maybe you could contact someone here, and find what you want. If
what you currently own, is a short tip suitable for a magnetic
holder, the holder is probably too fat for reaching into
deep holes. You'd probably want something with a longer shaft
and separate handle system.

Yes! That is exactly my problem ! Actually, even the bits themselves are
too
fat.

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxSecuritytorx.htm
http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/281...loc_Blades.htm

These look good, I'll have to check what the diameter is, because they
sound
like they're the same width as a normal magnetic bit, just 5 inches
longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Indus.../dp/B0000CH42P

Most of them are normal size, but there are a few slimmer bits as well.

How long do you need them? How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamper-Secur...QQcmdZViewItem

SAN & NAS security Slawek[_2_] Storage & Hardrives 3 March 21st 07 04:59 AM
SAN & NAS security Slawek[_2_] Storage & Hardrives 1 March 16th 07 09:53 PM
WOL Security Notan Dell Computers 10 July 3rd 05 03:38 PM
Skinny please: Car CD player Eddy Long Cdr 2 November 5th 04 10:40 PM
Security HCRychener Dell Computers 3 December 4th 03 06:38 PM