returning a hard drive to ebuyer

Old January 17th 04, 07:39 PM

Default returning a hard drive to ebuyer

got a hardrive from ebuyer and it failed in less than a week, I have
just submitted an RMA request, i'm sure it will probably take until
monday though.

What i found interesting was that according to the manafacturer (maxtor)
the drive is out of warranty (even though i received the drive last
monday). sure enough the drive has a manafacture date on it that says
dec 2002. is this common ?, have i perhaps been sent a second hand drive
?, i always assumed warranties began from the time the user starts using
hardware. any thoughts welcome.

and one other thing, i live in sheffield and know that ebuyer are based
there, does anyone know if I could drop it off to them ?, it would
almost certainly be cheaper than packaging it up and sending it to them.
anyone had any past experience with ebuyer in this respect ?

any help appreciated.

--

eps
Old January 17th 04, 08:48 PM
JAM

Mate.
Ebuyer are crap when it comes to returning stuff!!
I've had my fingers burnt with them and would never ever go back to them.

All I can say is good luck!!

JAM.

Old January 17th 04, 09:01 PM
Ant C

wrote in message
[...]

In instances like this i just return it for a refund and order the item
elsewhere, saves
all the hassle and waiting imo.
Its less than a week so i believe you can ask them to collect at their
expense.

Old January 17th 04, 09:49 PM
Paul Hopwood

" wrote:

got a hardrive from ebuyer and it failed in less than a week, I have
just submitted an RMA request, i'm sure it will probably take until
monday though.

Maybe even longer. They don't have the best of reputations for
dealing with stuff like this.

What i found interesting was that according to the manafacturer (maxtor)
the drive is out of warranty (even though i received the drive last
monday). sure enough the drive has a manafacture date on it that says
dec 2002. is this common ?,

Hard drives are fairly fast moving items so it seems odd that it's
taken 12 months to work it's way down the chain.

Unless it's a really obscure drive?

have i perhaps been sent a second hand drive
?

Difficult to prove either way.

i always assumed warranties began from the time the user starts using
hardware. any thoughts welcome.

They typically start from the day you receive the goods but, in any
event, your contract is with eBuyer not Maxtor.

and one other thing, i live in sheffield and know that ebuyer are based
there, does anyone know if I could drop it off to them ?, it would
almost certainly be cheaper than packaging it up and sending it to them.
anyone had any past experience with ebuyer in this respect ?

Don't know for sure but I suspect they won't deal with customers at
their premises.

That said, you're not even obliged to send let alone pay for return of
the goods. If you agree to mail the goods to ebuyer they should
reimburse the cost. If you have had the items for less than a week
you'd be best advised them that you are rejecting the goods and get a
refund.

You're then free to buy a replacement rather than wait for it to go
through ebuyer's returns process, be that from them or elsewhere.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old January 17th 04, 09:59 PM

got a hardrive from ebuyer and it failed in less than a week, I have
just submitted an RMA request, i'm sure it will probably take until
monday though.

Maybe even longer. They don't have the best of reputations for
dealing with stuff like this.

well yeah we will see, i am aware of their reputation but kind of hoping
that it will go smoothly.

What i found interesting was that according to the manafacturer (maxtor)
the drive is out of warranty (even though i received the drive last
monday). sure enough the drive has a manafacture date on it that says
dec 2002. is this common ?,

Hard drives are fairly fast moving items so it seems odd that it's
taken 12 months to work it's way down the chain.

Unless it's a really obscure drive?

it's a 120 gb diamon 9 plus model, i already have one and wanted another
because the one i have got has been very reliable (it's about a year old).

i always assumed warranties began from the time the user starts using
hardware. any thoughts welcome.

They typically start from the day you receive the goods but, in any
event, your contract is with eBuyer not Maxtor.

thing is that maxtor offer a service where they will ship you a
replacement as long as you give them your credit card details, then if
they don't receive the faulty drive within a certain amount of time they
charge you for it. only if the drive is in warranty though.

and one other thing, i live in sheffield and know that ebuyer are based
there, does anyone know if I could drop it off to them ?, it would
almost certainly be cheaper than packaging it up and sending it to them.
anyone had any past experience with ebuyer in this respect ?

Don't know for sure but I suspect they won't deal with customers at
their premises.

yeah I am sure I have seen this discussed in this group before, it might
be a quicker as well, seems silly to put the drive through the postal
system if i could just go down to their building give it to them.

That said, you're not even obliged to send let alone pay for return of
the goods. If you agree to mail the goods to ebuyer they should
reimburse the cost. If you have had the items for less than a week
you'd be best advised them that you are rejecting the goods and get a
refund.

You're then free to buy a replacement rather than wait for it to go
through ebuyer's returns process, be that from them or elsewhere.

already asked for a replacement, I think I'll see how it goes, if they
mess me about too much i'll just ask for a refund.

--
Eps
Old January 17th 04, 10:29 PM
ß Ø ® G

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:39:53 +0000, "
wrote:

got a hardrive from ebuyer and it failed in less than a week, I have
just submitted an RMA request, i'm sure it will probably take until
monday though.

What i found interesting was that according to the manafacturer (maxtor)
the drive is out of warranty (even though i received the drive last
monday). sure enough the drive has a manafacture date on it that says
dec 2002. is this common ?, have i perhaps been sent a second hand drive
?, i always assumed warranties began from the time the user starts using
hardware. any thoughts welcome.

and one other thing, i live in sheffield and know that ebuyer are based
there, does anyone know if I could drop it off to them ?, it would
almost certainly be cheaper than packaging it up and sending it to them.
anyone had any past experience with ebuyer in this respect ?

any help appreciated.

if you live there I would deff go and see them, they will have to
exchange it there and then be a lot better, print out all the
details and stuff you got for the delivery from the site first though

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

http://www.davessite.co.uk
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Old January 17th 04, 11:47 PM
Paul Hopwood

" wrote:

it's a 120 gb diamon 9 plus model, i already have one and wanted another
because the one i have got has been very reliable (it's about a year old).

Nothing I'd say was obscure enough to have been sitting on a shelf for
12 months before you brought it then. It does seem odd that yours was
made in December 2002.

They typically start from the day you receive the goods but, in any
event, your contract is with eBuyer not Maxtor.

thing is that maxtor offer a service where they will ship you a
replacement as long as you give them your credit card details, then if
they don't receive the faulty drive within a certain amount of time they
charge you for it. only if the drive is in warranty though.

Yeah, I know. I buy Maxtor myself for the same reason. Used the
service a couple of times.

If you'd prefer to deal with Maxtor it might be worth e-mail/phoning
them and explaining the situation, but they're not obliged to do
anything.

You're then free to buy a replacement rather than wait for it to go
through ebuyer's returns process, be that from them or elsewhere.

already asked for a replacement, I think I'll see how it goes, if they
mess me about too much i'll just ask for a refund.

Fair enough. Contacting them might be as much of a challenge as
getting the replacement by all accounts. ;-)

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old January 18th 04, 08:42 AM
Tony Sutton

"ß Ø ® G" wrote in message

if you live there I would deff go and see them, they will have to
exchange it there and then be a lot better, print out all the
details and stuff you got for the delivery from the site first though

They will ask you to bugger off. They do not allow customers to visit!

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old January 18th 04, 09:41 AM
Fat Freddy's Cat

wrote in message
got a hardrive from ebuyer and it failed in less than a week, I have
just submitted an RMA request, i'm sure it will probably take until
monday though.

Ignore all the doom merchants - I've never had problems with ebuyer returns.

Get your RMA number... the only complication here is that ebuyer will
initially try to be helpful by directing you to Maxtor - as stated elsewhere
its quicker dealing directly with them for replacements.
This means you will have to enote ebuyer explaining maxtor are having none
of it since the drive is over 1 year old when delivered to you.

They will then give you an RMA and you can send the drive off (ask for a
replacement or refund)

It might take a couple of weeks or so, but you will get your replacement
drive (sooner) or refund (usually a bit slower).

Yes it takes time, yes its a hassle, but thats online ordering overall
really.

g.

Old January 18th 04, 01:54 PM
Simon Wells

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:41:30 -0000, "Fat Freddy's Cat"
wrote:

Ignore all the doom merchants - I've never had problems with ebuyer returns.

How much is ebuyer paying you these days?