TFT screen burn?

Old April 26th 05, 05:11 AM

Default TFT screen burn?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:38:46 GMT, Pete wrote:

How easy is it to burn in a TFT screen?

Seems I have screen burn from game playing too much. Thing is that I
can't have played more than 20 hours total or so since I got this
screen.

I always thought TFTs unlike CRTs didnt have burn in. I saw it claimed
all over the net however I recently saw a claim that there was burn in
.. Heres a link. They (samsung) claims that if you unplug it for 48
hours it will usually go away which reinforces some claims thats its
usually "temporary" on LCDs.

I suppose its the same as many CRTs ? Setting your screen to maximum
brightness, contrast - may be worse since its not recommended on CRT
screens but who knows.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/...8&PR OD_ID=-1
Old April 26th 05, 07:35 AM
JANA

When an LCD display has a fixed image on it, there is the possibility of it
having persistence in the crystals. After a while, it should neutralize
itself, unless there is damage. LCD screens cannot burn in like a CRT or
Plasma display, since they do not use energized surface illumination.

LCD displays use the technique of having polarized light pass through
crystals that twist, and thus changing the phase of the polarized light. At
the entry surface of where the light enters, there is a polarizing filter.
Behind the display assembly is a light source. There is also an opposite
polarizing filter at the exit surface of the screen. When the crystals are
excited with an electric current, they twist, and thus, the phase of the
light is shifted. The light becomes visible for each of the twisted
crystals.

Interesting Article To Read About LCD Screen Persistence:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_...reen-burn.html

Differences Between Plasma, And LCD:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=10941

Excellent Article About How LCD's Work:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm

--

JANA
_____

"Pete" wrote in message

How easy is it to burn in a TFT screen?

Seems I have screen burn from game playing too much. Thing is that I
can't have played more than 20 hours total or so since I got this
screen.

There's a faint imprint of the typical games info bar at the bottom of
the screen where the image hardly changes. Mostly where the dark
colours and particularly black are used.

Mostly noticeable where dark coloured windows are used in that area.

I would have thought that I would get the same at the top of the
screen where maximized window bars are pretty static but there is
nothing for some strange reason.

Any ideas how to fix or avoid this?

I usually don't use screen savers as the screen is switched off
whenever I am not using it though the PC is on 24/7 running background
tasks.

Pete

Old April 26th 05, 11:09 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:49:19 -0500, "Michael Rainey"
wrote:

My Dell Inspiron 8100 definitely showed irreversible 'image persistence", as
did those of quite a number of people on the Dell forum. Dell replaced my
screen, eventually.

Irreversible ?! Yikes. Ive been using my PC a lot with stationary
bars on the bottom etc. Thats LAME. After reading about how TFTs
didnt have burn in.

Old April 26th 05, 12:29 PM
kony

wrote:

My Dell Inspiron 8100 definitely showed irreversible 'image persistence", as
did those of quite a number of people on the Dell forum. Dell replaced my
screen, eventually.

Irreversible ?! Yikes. Ive been using my PC a lot with stationary
bars on the bottom etc. Thats LAME. After reading about how TFTs
didnt have burn in.

I wonder if the best attempt at fixing this would be to
simply take a full screen capture, use an image editing
program to "negative" that image then display that as a full
screen wallpaper for awhile. Of course there would be
drawbacks like the need to hide icons from the desktop and
using the "auto-hide" taskbar option, but if there is no
other recourse...
Old April 26th 05, 01:54 PM
Paul Murphy

"kony" wrote in message

wrote:

My Dell Inspiron 8100 definitely showed irreversible 'image persistence",
as
did those of quite a number of people on the Dell forum. Dell replaced
my
screen, eventually.

Irreversible ?! Yikes. Ive been using my PC a lot with stationary
bars on the bottom etc. Thats LAME. After reading about how TFTs
didnt have burn in.

I wonder if the best attempt at fixing this would be to
simply take a full screen capture, use an image editing
program to "negative" that image then display that as a full
screen wallpaper for awhile. Of course there would be
drawbacks like the need to hide icons from the desktop and
using the "auto-hide" taskbar option, but if there is no
other recourse...

Or if the monitor has the ability to be rotated around then the OP could do
that and set the graphics card software/drivers accordingly. I've been using
my Dell TFT Monitor for about 4 years now with no hint of such a problem.

Paul

Old April 26th 05, 03:16 PM
Paul Murphy

"Pete" wrote in message

Or if the monitor has the ability to be rotated around then the OP could
do
that and set the graphics card software/drivers accordingly. I've been
using
my Dell TFT Monitor for about 4 years now with no hint of such a problem.

Paul,

Possible idea I guess but then I would have two burnt in images

I suspect there is nothing I can do about this except not play such
games...

May do some good for my social life I guess

Pete

A decent period of use with the monitor rotated may give it sufficient
"rest" for things to go back to normal on the other edge though (I'm not
convinced this is permanent). I actually think that as long as the monitor
is still fairly new, you should have reasonable grounds to get it repaired
under the warranty (or at least get some tech support advise on how to
redress the issue). My suggestion above assumes that you've already
attempted going down that path or for what ever reason can't do so.

Paul

Old April 26th 05, 04:36 PM
kony

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:44:45 GMT, Pete
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:29:08 GMT, kony wrote:

Irreversible ?! Yikes. Ive been using my PC a lot with stationary
bars on the bottom etc. Thats LAME. After reading about how TFTs
didnt have burn in.

I wonder if the best attempt at fixing this would be to
simply take a full screen capture, use an image editing
program to "negative" that image then display that as a full
screen wallpaper for awhile. Of course there would be
drawbacks like the need to hide icons from the desktop and
using the "auto-hide" taskbar option, but if there is no
other recourse...

Negative image would just burn the rest of the screen to the same
level.

yes, could be _exactly_ what is desired.

Kind of charing the whole cake to cover up the over cooked
edges

Nope, more like rotating something in the oven midway
through if that oven doesn't heat evenly... but I don't know
if that applies to cakes or if they'd deflate when the
cooler air hit them.