"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

Old June 17th 14, 06:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

Default "Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

Lynn

Old June 17th 14, 06:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

A year isnt very long.

Old June 17th 14, 09:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 17/06/2014 1:39 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

A year isnt very long.

It is if they are being torture tested during that entire year.

I've had one of my drives for over 425 days, and it's "only" had 11TB of
writes to it (and it's only a 240GB drive). So it's nothing compared to
the 700TB to 1PB of writes that's happened to these drives.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 18th 14, 12:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

So 10 months under torture testing of writes is how long in years under
a normal load of writes?
Old June 18th 14, 02:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

So 10 months under torture testing of writes is how long in years under
a normal load of writes?

Depends, but for a system drive, e.g. something like 10-100 years.
For a data-drive possibly longer.

Arno
Old June 18th 14, 12:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:09:21 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 17/06/2014 1:39 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

A year isnt very long.

Another factor to consider it how long the data is retained;
consider both the case of un referenced data when the power
is on and all data when the power is off.

(As the memory gets worn out the data retention time decreases.
So un referenced data can be lost. Most, if not all, current
devices will automatically check and refresh things if the
are powered up, but powered down retention time might
have originally been 15 years or more, but less than 1 year on
a used device.)

Old June 18th 14, 05:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:04:07 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

Fantastic. My 64Mb USB is only 10 years old, and it still
works fine. Excited it might still be working in another 10 or more
years.

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old June 19th 14, 04:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

wrote:

"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

Fantastic. My 64Mb USB is only 10 years old, and it still
works fine. Excited it might still be working in another 10 or more
years.

A USB flash drive is not the same thing as an SSD, even though they both
use flash storage. The SSD would have much more sophisticated load
balancing features, and much more redundancy.

Yousuf Khan

Old June 19th 14, 11:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

Fantastic. My 64Mb USB is only 10 years old, and it still
works fine. Excited it might still be working in another 10 or more
years.

A USB flash drive is not the same thing as an SSD, even though they both
use flash storage. The SSD would have much more sophisticated load
balancing features, and much more redundancy.

I was just pointing out that sizes get redundant much faster
than durability. Ten years is more than enough.
[]'s