bricked eeepc 701

Old December 8th 11, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
max24

Default bricked eeepc 701

Hi All

Please forgive me but im as sick as a parrot

I need help from you good people

I have foolishly disconnected my EEEPC 701 4G linux whilst performing a
BIOS update, i know know the erm as being bricked????? black screen
nothing works please help, im a layman so easy ABC help would be greatly
appreciated Thanks

Old December 9th 11, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob[_19_]

On 08/12/2011 19:21, max24 wrote:
Hi All

Please forgive me but im as sick as a parrot

I need help from you good people

I have foolishly disconnected my EEEPC 701 4G linux whilst performing a
BIOS update, i know know the erm as being bricked????? black screen
nothing works please help, im a layman so easy ABC help would be greatly
appreciated Thanks

On a working computer:
1) Format a USB flash drive to "FAT" (not FAT32 or NTFS).
2) go here and download the correct BIOS for your model:
http://support.asus.com/download.asp...5&hashedid=n/a
3) extract the 701xxxxx.ROM file from the .zip file you downloaded above.
4) check that the 701xxxxx.ROM file is 524288 bytes in size.
5) rename the 701xxxxx.ROM file to 701.ROM
6) copy the 701.ROM file to the freshly formatted USB flash drive.

On the broken eee701:
7) make sure the eee is turned off, insert the flash drive into any USB port.
8) switch the eee on.
9) wait at least 10 minutes. Pray (optional).
10) switch the eee off, then back on.

If lucky, it will now be working.

HTH
--
Rob

Old December 9th 11, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Rob wrote:
On 08/12/2011 19:21, max24 wrote:
Hi All

Please forgive me but im as sick as a parrot

I need help from you good people

I have foolishly disconnected my EEEPC 701 4G linux whilst performing a
BIOS update, i know know the erm as being bricked????? black screen
nothing works please help, im a layman so easy ABC help would be greatly
appreciated Thanks

On a working computer:
1) Format a USB flash drive to "FAT" (not FAT32 or NTFS).
2) go here and download the correct BIOS for your model:
http://support.asus.com/download.asp...01SD/Linux&p=2
0&s=1&os=5&hashedid=n/a
3) extract the 701xxxxx.ROM file from the .zip file you downloaded above.
4) check that the 701xxxxx.ROM file is 524288 bytes in size.
5) rename the 701xxxxx.ROM file to 701.ROM
6) copy the 701.ROM file to the freshly formatted USB flash drive.

On the broken eee701:
7) make sure the eee is turned off, insert the flash drive into any USB port.
8) switch the eee on.
9) wait at least 10 minutes. Pray (optional).
10) switch the eee off, then back on.

If lucky, it will now be working.

HTH

9a) Remove flash drive
Old December 11th 11, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Gary Seven

Return STOLEN machine to its rightful owner, asshole.

max24 wrote:
:: Hi All
[snip]

Old December 12th 11, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
FolkGT

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 13:03:02 +0100, "Gary Seven" wrote:

Return STOLEN machine to its rightful owner, asshole.

max24 wrote:
:: Hi All
[snip]

And you base that on what, exactly? How does bricked = stolen?
Old December 13th 11, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob[_19_]

On 09/12/2011 20:46, GMAN wrote:
In article , Rob wrote:
[...]

Good point - well spotted.
--
Rob
Old December 14th 11, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
max24[_2_]

Hi Rob

Thanks very much for your input its greatly appreciated.

Ive tried it and im not sure if i am transferring the file onto the
flash drive properly

It does say elsewhere that i should save the file to the flash drives
root however it doesnt say how to do this do you have any idea it would
be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks

max24

Old December 14th 11, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
max24[_3_]

Gary Seven;1320507 Wrote:
Return STOLEN machine to its rightful owner, *******.

max24 wrote:
:: Hi All
[snip]

lucky for me that there are proper and real peole like rob on here to
offer help rather than well, says it all really

Old December 15th 11, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob[_19_]

On 14/12/2011 14:55, max24 wrote:
Hi Rob

Thanks very much for your input its greatly appreciated.

Ive tried it and im not sure if i am transferring the file onto the
flash drive properly

It does say elsewhere that i should save the file to the flash drives
root however it doesnt say how to do this do you have any idea it would
be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks

max24

If you have renamed it to 701.ROM, copied it to the USB flash
drive and it is the only file on that, it is already in the root.
There should be no folders or other files on the flash drive.

Double check that you formatted the USB flash drive in FAT format
as FAT32 or NTFS definitely won't work.

If the USB flash drive has a light on it which flickers when you
read or write files to it, this light should flicker when you
switch the bricked EEE on. This indicates that the BIOS update is
in progress. If that isn't happening, it might mean that the EEE
is unable to perform this emergency BIOS recovery process for
some reason (ie it may have more problems than just a corrupted BIOS.)

HTH
--
Rob
Old December 15th 11, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GMAN[_14_]

max24 wrote:
:: Hi All
[snip]

lucky for me that there are proper and real peole like rob on here to
offer help rather than well, says it all really

It was definately wrong for the other person to have ASSumed that you stole
it. But what he may have been reffering to is that the recovery procedure
describe is whats also used to wipe ones password off of a stolen device.