windows stalling with P7P55DD-E

Old June 17th 11, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
coltrane

Default windows stalling with P7P55DD-E

I am having a strange problem which I think might be hardware related.
maybe someone can tell me if they know anything about this. I am running
Windows 7 x64 on a P7P55D-E. the system was working fine and then it
started stalling, meaning that anything I did would take anywhere
between 15 seconds to 1 minute to respond. At first I thought I had a
virus so I ran 2 different scanners which found nothing. well I backup
every other night so I blew my system away and did a clean install. The
system was back to normal. I installed all of the updates including sp1
and security updates. At this point the system was working fine. The
following day I got the same problem. This happened 2 more times. I now
have yet another fresh install and I am going to go a week before
installing sp1 and the security updates to see if the updates are
causing the problem. during this entire process I have not updated any
of my asus drivers.

so does anyone know if there are any problems this MB and any Win7 updates?

thanks
john
Old June 17th 11, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

coltrane wrote:
[...]

You should include in your description...

1) What hard drives are used, and what ports are they connected to.
What mode are the interfaces used in ? IDE, AHCI, RAID ?

2) Is the computer sitting on a LAN ? Do you use network shares ?
Are the shares you use, all available ? Are you using multiple
LAN connections ? Wireless ? Etc.

3) Do you have any peripheral devices connected ? Any printers ?
Any scanners ? Are they USB connected ? Are they connected
via a parallel port ?

It could be some item particular to your setup, rather than
just the combination of P7P55D-E and Windows 7 x64.

Paul
Old June 18th 11, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
coltrane

On 6/17/2011 11:28 AM, Paul wrote:
You should include in your description...

1) What hard drives are used, and what ports are they connected to.
What mode are the interfaces used in ? IDE, AHCI, RAID ?

2) Is the computer sitting on a LAN ? Do you use network shares ?
Are the shares you use, all available ? Are you using multiple
LAN connections ? Wireless ? Etc.

3) Do you have any peripheral devices connected ? Any printers ?
Any scanners ? Are they USB connected ? Are they connected
via a parallel port ?

It could be some item particular to your setup, rather than
just the combination of P7P55D-E and Windows 7 x64.

Paul

Paul,
thanks for the reply. Here is the info

I have a P7P55D-E
Core i5 processor 750 @ 2.67GHz
AMI bios.
I have 2 WD 600GB SATA 3.0gb/s drives. No RAID or AHCI.
4 GB DDR3 Dual channel ram
Windows 7 provided NVidia Geforce 450 video driver.
VIA sound driver for integrated audio.
I am using the realtek onboard lan.
The lan is connected to a 4 port linksys wireless router
There are no network shares
2 printers, 1 usb multifunction printer/scanner/fax, 1 parallel laser
printer.
I run Vipre anti-virus.
I have a minimal software installation right now, MS Office, Acronis
True Image (backup software), Firefox, and Thunderbird.

I have had this system for approximately a year without any problems
until now.

One other note, if I boot into safe mode there is no slow down. So it is
most likely a driver or software problem. I thought there might be a
problem with the asus supplied drivers and sp1.
Old June 19th 11, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

coltrane wrote:
[...]

Does the slowdown show up, if the USB printer is powered up and operational ?

What happens if the printer software for the USB printer is removed and
the printer disconnected ?

In terms of hardware, that's the only thing that stands out.

*******

Have you tried running something like Process Explorer ?

Leave it running, and then see if there is any activity while the system is "slow".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

*******

You can also look through the threads here, for matching symptoms.
It is difficult to data mine this site - the local search doesn't
work worth a darn, and due to all the crap decorating each page,
searching the site with an external search engine doesn't work either.
So you have to slog through the posts manually, looking for
matched symptoms.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

*******

In terms of Asus-installed software, are you using any "power saver"
type software ? Some of the Asus software, or things like BIOS fan speed
control, may rely on System Management Mode, which allows BIOS
code to be run many times a second, time sharing with the OS. The
OS has no way of knowing this is going on. If there is a defect
in any SMM related activity, you can only tell by noticing the
system is slow. Try turning off fan control in the BIOS. Try removing
any "power saver" type software, which modifies the number
of phases used on Vcore.

When you build a system for yourself, sometimes it is best to
not bother installing the software (separate utilities) offered by
the motherboard manufacturer. Some of it has issues. The drivers are
OK to use, but if there is some fancy GUI thing they want you to
leave running all the time, some of that stuff is best left on the
motherboard CD unused.

Paul

Netgear PS101 print server stalling ps56k Printers 0 May 11th 08 02:50 AM
Stalling Xerox DocuPrint P8ex Ken Rumbarger Printers 1 February 6th 08 09:31 AM
fuji 1150j stalling Nospam Printers 2 August 11th 06 01:05 PM
P5D2-E PREMIUM BIOS not scanning SATA drives and stalling at BIOS Paul Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 05 11:50 AM
Making SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 work on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Sytelus Creative Sound Blaster Cards 0 October 19th 04 05:30 PM