4 GB memory on standard Vista

Old September 30th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ken tak

Default 4 GB memory on standard Vista

I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home Premium.
I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only use 3 GB
memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory. Why does
Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?
Ken Tak

Old September 30th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"ken tak" wrote in message
m...
I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home Premium.
I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only use 3 GB
memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory. Why does
Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?
Ken Tak

Dell doesn't do that. Microsoft does that. You'd see the same thing out of
any new OEM notebook using a 32-bit version of Windows.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...nized&aq=f&oq=

Old September 30th 08, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

"ken tak" wrote in message
m...
I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only
use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory.
Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.

A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
computers do it and so do almost every other brand
(Even Apple!)

Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.

Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
Nope. The hardware takes some room.

Tom Lake

Old October 1st 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan Sgambelluri

S.Lewis wrote:
"ken tak" wrote in message
m...
I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home Premium.
I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only use 3 GB
memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory. Why does
Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?
Ken Tak

Dell doesn't do that. Microsoft does that. You'd see the same thing out of
any new OEM notebook using a 32-bit version of Windows.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...nized&aq=f&oq=

I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
Gigs of Memory?
Old October 1st 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan Sgambelluri

Tom Lake wrote:

"ken tak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

As I already said in the other post.

Old October 1st 08, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"ken tak" wrote in message
m...
I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?
Ken Tak

Dell doesn't do that. Microsoft does that. You'd see the same thing out
of any new OEM notebook using a 32-bit version of Windows.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...nized&aq=f&oq=

I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
Gigs of Memory?

Fair question. I don't know.

Another question: Why is he buying one with that much (likely unneeded) RAM?

Old October 1st 08, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
Tom Lake wrote:

"ken tak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to a
perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

Old October 1st 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_5_]

K2NNJ wrote:
You need 64-bit version of Vista. Same thing with Windows XP.

Vista gets my vote here.

Bob
Old October 1st 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan Sgambelluri

Tom Lake wrote:

"ken tak" wrote in message
news:UOednSXirNs1C3_VnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
[...]

Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs