Use my laptop as desktop: Take battery out?

Old August 2nd 08, 04:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Use my laptop as desktop: Take battery out?

I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?
Old August 2nd 08, 04:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

wrote in message
I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?

removing the battery will extend it's life because of the heat the laptop
generates
you might want to invest in a small UPS in case you have a power failure.
Alot cheaper than a new battery

Old August 2nd 08, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 11:52:34 -0400, "olfart"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?

removing the battery will extend it's life because of the heat the laptop
generates
you might want to invest in a small UPS in case you have a power failure.
Alot cheaper than a new battery

Based on experience Olfart, you took the words right outa my post so I
won't repeat what you said other than I agree with you 100% .
Very good advice !!!
Old August 2nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan Sgambelluri

wrote:

wrote in message
I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?

removing the battery will extend it's life because of the heat the laptop
generates
you might want to invest in a small UPS in case you have a power failure.
Alot cheaper than a new battery

Based on experience Olfart, you took the words right outa my post so I
won't repeat what you said other than I agree with you 100% .
Very good advice !!!

He is however missing an important thing.

Not removing the battery when it is not needed and not totally charged
up but not, will cause the laptop to recharge the battery and this
counts towards the recharging cycle even if it is for 10 seconds,
Old August 2nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

i disagree. in theory one could argue that not using the battery would mean
that the battery will have more charge cycles left in it when it is used at
some point in the future, but even unused batteries have a limited shelf
life. in other words, even when not used batteries have a limited life
expectancy. the danger of not using the battery is that you could
experience sudden and complete loss of power since the ac connector on many
laptops are quite loose (you did not specify your model but many late model
laptops that have been designed with loose ac connectors to avoid damage to
the ac socket in the case of sudden movement like someone tripping over the
power cord). since laptops can easily be moved about, momentary power loss
is a common issue. with the battery installed this is not a problem, but
without the battery it could result in data loss. good luck.

Old August 2nd 08, 06:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

wrote in message
I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?
removing the battery will extend it's life because of the heat the laptop
generates
you might want to invest in a small UPS in case you have a power failure.
Alot cheaper than a new battery

Based on experience Olfart, you took the words right outa my post so I
won't repeat what you said other than I agree with you 100% .
Very good advice !!!

He is however missing an important thing.

Not removing the battery when it is not needed and not totally charged
up but not, will cause the laptop to recharge the battery and this
counts towards the recharging cycle even if it is for 10 seconds,

I agree. I was assuming removing it when charged up. But even then,
I'm not sure how long it will keep fully charged so it could still
need a recharge when installed again whenever. My thought was (and
experience says) that if you keep it out long enough, you won't be
recharging it soon so you postpone the recharges a while.
Old August 2nd 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 12:33:07 -0400, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

i disagree. in theory one could argue that not using the battery would mean
that the battery will have more charge cycles left in it when it is used at
some point in the future, but even unused batteries have a limited shelf
life.

In theory there may be a shelf life but I have yet to read a spec that
says so. The specs I've read talk about # of recycles. It could be
the shelf life is like 50 yrs so the chances of the laptop being
around that long is nil and therefore not worth spec'ing a shelf life.
Old August 2nd 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

wrote:

I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?

I leave mine in.

A couple of things wear out a battery, first discharging it (but taking
amount of discharging into account, so a slight discharging doesn't count
much), and second letting it discharge, which it will do on its own if
left on the shelf.

Probably the life-efficient approach is running the laptop on the
batteries to a good discharge (say, what 25% left), every three months
or so, and letting the computer then recharge it; and letting it
run off AC the rest of the time. Whether the battery is in or out
doesn't matter much, it seems to me. It's electrically isolated
if it's found to be already charged.

Personally I ignore it, and just leave it in.

(There's a slight problem with the Inspiron 6400 (E1505 I think) if
power is always applied, in that apparently the battery charge is only
checked when the AC is first applied, and so if the power is on for a
year, the battery will have self-discharged, it not having been checked
for a year. So I guess unplug these models once in a while.)

Old August 3rd 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message
I'm mainly using my laptop as a desktop here at home

Should I remove the battery while using it like this so
as not to ruin or damage the battery?

I may be strange, but I just don't worry about battery costs versus true
hardware failures on notebooks.

Batteries are going to die.

Low battery message on desktop Jeff Dell Computers 5 August 26th 06 02:07 AM
laptop battery Dave General 2 August 14th 06 06:08 PM
Correct Replacement Cell or Battery for PB Axcel 46CD Desktop [email protected] Packard Bell Computers 12 March 16th 06 06:01 AM
Rebuilding Notebook Battery. For Toshiba Laptop 4100XDVD battery part #PA2487U Chris Homebuilt PC's 0 February 21st 04 05:48 AM
Laptop Battery Starstuffed Compaq Computers 2 October 19th 03 12:48 AM