Suggestions on data replication

Old November 16th 03, 07:20 PM
Rob Turk

Default Suggestions on data replication

For a Windows-only site with a couple of Win2K clusters, SQL, Exchange,
Citrix, and IIS I'm looking to build an overview of viable ways of real-time
or near real-time replication of data to a remote site. No access to raw
fibre, just TCP/IP with decent bandwidth (30-50Mbit/s dedicated).

I'd like to hear from any software-only, hardware-only or combined
installations, with good or bad results. Things like Legato co-standby
server or Veritas storage replicator, but also Netapp snapmirror, EMC SRDF
or what not. Remote clustering with Windows2003 anyone? Please share your
experiences.

All info appreciated..

Rob

Old November 18th 03, 08:48 PM
Rene Koehnen-Wiesemes

For a Windows-only site with a couple of Win2K clusters, SQL, Exchange,
Citrix, and IIS I'm looking to build an overview of viable ways of

real-time
or near real-time replication of data to a remote site. No access to raw
fibre, just TCP/IP with decent bandwidth (30-50Mbit/s dedicated).

I'd like to hear from any software-only, hardware-only or combined
installations, with good or bad results. Things like Legato co-standby
server or Veritas storage replicator, but also Netapp snapmirror, EMC SRDF
or what not. Remote clustering with Windows2003 anyone? Please share your
experiences.

I've lots of customers who have decided to use SRDF for data replication to
a remote
site. But they all do it with fc-connection between two Symmetrix systems.
Never
heart from anybody who uses SRDF over TCP/IP. SRDF is reliable, fast and
very
save, but also very expensive. IBM has a similar solution (peer-to-peer
remote
copy) and HDS too. But these solutions are IMHO also with fc-connection in
between.
If you'll decide to use only TCP/IP for data replication purpose, you might
find
very good solutions with products from Falconstor (IPstor) or Datacore.
These
solutions have the advantage that you are able to replicate data between
different
vendors (e.g. Symmetrix and Shark). Both companies have growing installation
basis. Their products are well accepted, as far as I've heart.

Rene

Old November 19th 03, 07:16 AM
mrl

I've used SRDF; but it really is not a flexible method, and the cost is
prohibative, especially in an environment like what you are talking about

I would recommend taking a look at BrightStor High Availability from
Computer Associates. They do replication by sending over block level
changes, and already have profiles configured for SQL / Exchange / IIS. And
is priced under $1k per node. The simplest app i've seen in a while; and
helps manage failover. I use it sometimes just for the replication
functionality, exclusive of the failover components.

-mrl

. nl...