Hyper-Threading...just a gimic or worth it?

Old January 6th 04, 12:33 AM
newtothis

Default Hyper-Threading...just a gimic or worth it?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for decent laptop for home use and have narrowed my search
to the Gateway M350S. One of the reasons is that's one of the few units I've
seen in my price range with an Intel P4 w/ Hyper-Threading technology. Is HT
worth this much consideration or am I placing too much weight on it?

I'll basically be using it for internet, email and digital editing (some
movie editing of home movies).

Thanks in advance...

Old January 6th 04, 03:11 AM
newtothis

Desktop processor? I might not be as informed as most of you so why would
you say that. This processor is the one that comes standard in the Gateway
M350S directly from Gateway.

It's the standard processor for this laptop so I couldn't imagine Gateway
would make a mistake that big as to put a desktop processor in a laptop???

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
XP and 2000 support HT just fine. They just report two processors and work
that way.

My concern would be that this means it has a Desktop processor, doesn't

it?

Tom
"Leythos" wrote in message
In article pnnKb.68270$I07.311188@attbi_s53,
says...
Hello all,

I'm in the market for decent laptop for home use and have narrowed my

search
to the Gateway M350S. One of the reasons is that's one of the few

units
I've
seen in my price range with an Intel P4 w/ Hyper-Threading technology.

Is HT
worth this much consideration or am I placing too much weight on it?

I'll basically be using it for internet, email and digital editing

(some
movie editing of home movies).

HT is only nice if you are running Windows 2003 Server, since there is
only limited support for it in XP and 2000.

In testing on a Quad Xeon server with HT enabled, I found little
difference with HT enabled under the Windows 2000 Server platform.

(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Old January 6th 04, 03:29 AM
Michael J. Astrauskas

newtothis wrote:

Desktop processor? I might not be as informed as most of you so why would
you say that. This processor is the one that comes standard in the Gateway
M350S directly from Gateway.

It's the standard processor for this laptop so I couldn't imagine Gateway
would make a mistake that big as to put a desktop processor in a laptop???

A desktop processor is easy to spot. Besides the higher clock speed
(probably over two gigahertz) it won't have mobile in it's name, the
Pentium 4-M being an exception. The Pentium-M (*not* Pentium 4-M) and
Athlon XP-M are "mobile" processors. They have a little less power but
considerably better battery life. Battery life for a full fledged
desktop processor is 1-3 hours.

It seems the Gateway 350S uses a Celeron. I don't believe there is a
"mobile" Celeron, but I could be mistaken.

--
- Michael J. Astrauskas

P.S. Pardon the mass crosspost.

Old January 6th 04, 05:13 AM
newtothis

No, The Gateway M350S lists the Pentium 4 Processor 2.6 GHz with Intel
Hyper-Threading Technology (not the Celeron like you mentioned...unless I'm
missing something).

Is this Pentium 4 Processor a "desktop Processor" and if so should I make
sure to stay away from it in a laptop. If so why should I stay away?

Thanks again for all the help...

"Michael J. Astrauskas" wrote in message
newsYpKb.29258$i55.14156@fed1read06...

Old January 6th 04, 05:25 AM
joe_tide

It's not unusual to find a processor used in a laptop that is also used in a
desktop. It's just that the newer laptop thinking is to use a processor that
runs cooler and has longer battery life.

Old January 6th 04, 06:11 AM
Andrew

In comp.sys.laptops Michael J. Astrauskas wrote:
: It seems the Gateway 350S uses a Celeron. I don't believe there is a
: "mobile" Celeron, but I could be mistaken.

Yes, actually there is such thing as a "mobile Celeron". This is the one I have in my laptop:

http://www.intel.com/products/notebo...mobileceleron&

One key difference between the Mobile Celeron and the Desktop Celeron
is the mobile Celeron's larger cache, which probably reduces power
consumption as well as improving performance.

Actually there's something new I hadn't even heard about: the
"Celeron-M" processor:

http://www.intel.com/products/notebo...roc_celeron_m&

Looks like Celeron-M is just a Pentium-M with a smaller cache.

Andrew
--
---- Portland, Oregon, USA ----
---- http://www.bizave.com ---- Photo Albums and Portland Info

Old January 6th 04, 09:22 AM
Roland Mösl

Desktop processor? I might not be as informed as most of you so why would
you say that. This processor is the one that comes standard in the Gateway
M350S directly from Gateway.

It's the standard processor for this laptop so I couldn't imagine Gateway
would make a mistake that big as to put a desktop processor in a laptop???

They do this to have for all the stupid uninformed people
something cheap with many GHz.

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

Old January 6th 04, 09:31 AM
Roland Mösl

No, The Gateway M350S lists the Pentium 4 Processor 2.6 GHz with Intel
Hyper-Threading Technology (not the Celeron like you mentioned...unless

I'm
missing something).

Is this Pentium 4 Processor a "desktop Processor" and if so should I make
sure to stay away from it in a laptop. If so why should I stay away?

Best You study carefully

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Here You see the maximum heat of each processor.

In honest marketing, only what is below 30 Watt can
be called a mobile CPU.

From 30 to 50 Watt are the so called "mobile" P4
and the so called "mobile" Athlon

Beyond 50 Watt, it's to call a desktop CPU,
regardless what the wrong labeling of the manufacture tells.

You can imagine that so much heat in such a small case
requires a noisy cooling fan.

The heat reduces also all the parts which life longer when
they are not so hot. Harddisk, batteries....

By the way, Intel talks the Pentium-M slower than he really is.
This is to cause not a complete confusion at the people.
So Intel tells You, that the Pentium-M is the mobile CPU,
but in reality, the Pentium-M would even be better
than a P4 in a server.

Old January 6th 04, 09:33 AM
Roland Mösl

It's not unusual to find a processor used in a laptop that is also used in
desktop. It's just that the newer laptop thinking is to use a processor

that
runs cooler and has longer battery life.

That's not new.

Since 1998, I purchase only notebooks with real mobile CPUs

Only the terrible year 2002 with the P4 epidemic stoped this a short time
So I had to wait with my notebook purchase planed for 2002 unitl
2003 the Pentium-M was available

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Does hyper threading need dual-channel DDR RAM to work? Jacko Asus Motherboards 12 October 7th 04 09:14 AM
P4C800-E Deluxe Hyper Threading Problem?? Darren Asus Motherboards 6 July 24th 04 04:18 AM
P4: Hyper Threading not active? Bekin Rata General 9 May 22nd 04 09:23 PM
Hyper Threading Andrew Dell Computers 5 February 29th 04 05:18 PM
P4P800 DeLuxe, WinXP and Hyper Threading Fabio De Robertis Asus Motherboards 7 January 27th 04 11:00 PM