Regarding a fix for large system cache in xp

Old January 8th 04, 09:39 AM
LostSoul

Default Regarding a fix for large system cache in xp

I have found this to work im passing it along not my fix no corruption
woopeeeeeeee ......
ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION IT IS ATI RESPONSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS WHEN SWITCH FROM
PROGRAMS to SYSTEM CACHE (large system cache on xp)

Here it is guys, if you read my earlier post you will see I was about to try
the registry fix from Mr.Wilson
but decided to try the ATI fix I got from Links Golf support months ago for
a vid corruption problem with the 7.83 catalyst.

I did this "fix" listed below BEFORE switching the radio button from
programs to system cache.
So do this first - this is the whole content from Links support staff:

Ok, I have some new info in regards to Links. There's something called
Smartgart in the ATI control panel. Right click your desktop and click
properties, then the settings tab and then on the advanced button.
Click on the smartgart tab and then turn fast writes off and set the
AGP speed to off and then reboot. Then go back and set both settings
back to what they were. Reboot again. Links should play fine now.

Note when you reboot the AGP will be back up to 4x, at least it should be if
you have ATI Smart on auto in services and not disabled. When you are going
to set it back all that is left to do should be to enable fast write again
and reboot.
Then after that reboot you go into the Performance tab and switch it over to
"system cache" from
"programs" (leave the TOP radio button for programs alone, leave it on that
setting)
Now you reboot again, and this is where my system would lock up and hang
before so bad it was frozen.
Now it boots through fine, and checking the Performance settings is on
system cache button as well.
My available ram program shows an increase of 8mb of increased "available"
ram, and the task manager
non-paged kernel memory stat went up about 9000k meaning the AGP functions
were loaded right into
the ram.
This is all fine on systems of 512 ram and up, but not even the OS kernel
should be loaded right into ram
with any less, so a word of caution - you have no business using a larger
system cache without a minimum
of 512 ram, it could really mess you up, and with this additional ATI stuff
in there I would be more comfortable recommending at least 1gb ram like me
at least until ATI explains this anomoly!
Good Luck guys - I suspect this accomplished the same thing as the registry
fix but would be curious to know for sure if anyone knows how to confirm
this.
Email that Links fGolf fix off to the Catalyst drivers feedback program
after this works for you and complain like hell that it is absolute proof
their driver software is not up to scratch and is corrupting xp ability to
use the larger system cache setting without all this esoteric nonsense!!
Hope this helps.

Old January 8th 04, 10:16 AM
LostSoul

p.s it works here nf7sv2.o ,512 of oc memmory, radeon 9700pro 128 memmory,
winxp. No corruption in 6 hours tried before got it almost immediatly after
reboot not any more try it i will not be responsible for corruption but
thus far i have none hope this helps alot of people like me. got noticeable
speedier tasking an all good luck all
t...

Old January 8th 04, 05:34 PM
rms

Then after that reboot you go into the Performance tab and switch it over
"system cache" from
"programs" (leave the TOP radio button for programs alone, leave it on

that
setting)

Where is this Performance tab? What are the exact keystrokes to get to
it? thx!

rms

Old January 8th 04, 05:56 PM
Lithurge

"rms" wrote in
m:

Then after that reboot you go into the Performance tab and
switch it over

"system cache" from
"programs" (leave the TOP radio button for programs alone,
leave it on

that
setting)

Where is this Performance tab? What are the exact
keystrokes to get to
it? thx!

rms

In Win XP go to control panel, System, advanced tab, then
it's the first 'box' of the lot that comes up. Click
settings, advanced again and there you have your memory
iseage & systems cache buttons.