Abit NF7-s Ver2 Install Problems

Old July 17th 04, 09:27 PM
Palindr☻me

Default Abit NF7-s Ver2 Install Problems

Hi,

I bought an overclockers.co.uk kit with an NF7-S Ver 2 mobo
and XP2500 - with the intention of overclocking it to 3200,
as overclockers guaranteed it would. But I haven't even got
that far as I am still trying to set it up at failsafe
settings, without success.

The first thing I noticed was that the first BIOS page
reported the clock speed as 1100 and so does windows XP Pro SP1.

The IEEE and ethernet devices both have ? status.

XP pro identifies the IEEE device but will not load the
driver as it thinks there are insufficient resources.

It shows the ethernet controller but running the setup disk
that came with the mobo doesn't load an ethernet driver and
trying to do so manually by pointing it at the CD
subdirectory again doesn't think that a suitable driver is
there.

There does appear to be a more recent BIOS on the website
but I am loathe to try that as the things it fixes don;t
seem relevant.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? I have tried a clean
install of XP Pro 3 times now with the same result. I could
try 2000 or Win98 and see if they produce the same result.

My idea was to get the system fully functional before trying
to tweak anything higher and thought the failsafe settings
would be a good place to start. The ethernet is enabled in
the BIOS.

Can anyone tell me whether the clock speed is right for a
2500? I didn't read the chip label when it arrived and
assumed that they had sent the right thing - the box was
just a typical OEM plain brown cardboard. Teach me not to
check! It certainly isn't getting more than very luke warm.

Any suggestions on getting the inbuilt ethernet to work, or
the IEEE?

Or should I just return the mobo to overclockers?

--
Thanks,
Sue
Old July 17th 04, 10:43 PM
Apollo

Palindrâ~»me wrote:
Hi,

I bought an overclockers.co.uk kit with an NF7-S Ver 2 mobo
and XP2500 - with the intention of overclocking it to 3200,
as overclockers guaranteed it would. But I haven't even got
that far as I am still trying to set it up at failsafe
settings, without success.

The first thing I noticed was that the first BIOS page
reported the clock speed as 1100 and so does windows XP Pro SP1.

Is it a mobile 2500, if so you need to set it manually, 11 x 166 stock to
get it stable first. Memory in sync with fsb.

The IEEE and ethernet devices both have ? status.

XP pro identifies the IEEE device but will not load the
driver as it thinks there are insufficient resources.

It shows the ethernet controller but running the setup disk
that came with the mobo doesn't load an ethernet driver and
trying to do so manually by pointing it at the CD
subdirectory again doesn't think that a suitable driver is
there.

Have you tried removing them from device manager (maybe in safe mode) and
restarting then try loading the mobo drivers again, possibly get the latest
versions first and put them on cd.

There does appear to be a more recent BIOS on the website
but I am loathe to try that as the things it fixes don;t
seem relevant.

I wouldn't bother, you shouldn't have to flash a new(ish) board, get it
stable first, maybe reset cmos (with all power disconnected) and load
optimal defaults and go from there.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? I have tried a clean
install of XP Pro 3 times now with the same result. I could
try 2000 or Win98 and see if they produce the same result.

My idea was to get the system fully functional before trying
to tweak anything higher and thought the failsafe settings
would be a good place to start. The ethernet is enabled in
the BIOS.

Can anyone tell me whether the clock speed is right for a
2500? I didn't read the chip label when it arrived and
assumed that they had sent the right thing - the box was
just a typical OEM plain brown cardboard. Teach me not to
check! It certainly isn't getting more than very luke warm.

Stock - 11 x 166
3200 speed - 11 x 200, get it stable first.

Any suggestions on getting the inbuilt ethernet to work, or
the IEEE?

Or should I just return the mobo to overclockers?

Doesn't sound faulty to me, just a little messed up ;o), definately reset
the cmos so you have a clean starting point, set up the speeds if you have a
mobile chip and try yet another installation of XP with the latest drivers.

Let us know how it goes.

--
Ian

Old July 17th 04, 11:06 PM
OCZ Guy

Update the bios to 24 i thinks the latest

Ive got the board running a Througbred 2400 in it stock speed pc2100
stock speed !!!

Only becuase iam waiting for my Mobile 2500 and Dual channel 1gig ram.

Hope to run it atleast 2.6 maybe 2.7ghz.

Mine installed fine, maybe a faulty board ?

Old July 18th 04, 07:28 AM
Z28

I'm running the 2500+ Mobile on the NF7-S v2.0 and the TicTac v.23 modded
bios now. I think it's giving me higher FSB but I didn't test the standard
v24 bios well enough to tell. Right now I am running stable air HSF @
2412mhz. 11.5x204 (Dual 418). The CPU is is a AQYHA. My only problem is my
old HSF is not cooling good enough, so I am thinking of the Zalman 7000 Cu.
I only need a few degree's drop and I can do 2500 easy. I've had this setup
running at 2500mhz but that is just after the Air Conditioner has cooled the
ambient temps. I think I got as high as 11.5x213 but got errors in HotCPU
and Prime95. I also relaxed my memory timings to do that. Mem Spec=Mushkin
2,3,2,6 1GB PC3200.

Old July 18th 04, 09:57 PM
Apollo

Z28 wrote:

[snip]
My only problem is my old HSF is not cooling good enough, so I am
thinking of the Zalman 7000 Cu. I only need a few degree's drop and I
can do 2500 easy.

Go for it, excellent HSF IMO, but be aware that you'll have to slightly mod
the mounting to get it to fit your NF7-S.

--
Ian

Old July 19th 04, 12:11 AM
Z28

Noooo, What sink modding, can you be specific??? I haven't ordered yet, so
I'm not committed.

"Apollo" wrote in message

[snip]

Old July 19th 04, 12:42 AM
OCZ Guy

Ive got the same board and a Zalman 7000A cu, i belive you have to cu
the clip to fit it, have not done m ine yet using a Vantec AeroFlow,
i want my quiet Zalman

Old July 19th 04, 12:53 AM
Z28

So I have to remove the mobo to get to the back for the 7000 mount? It needs
cleaning anyway and I want to reroute the power wires too! Never mind
changing out the old mobo for my Linux firewall box.. Lets make a party out
of it! :-)