Can any tell me how the newest Win Zip compairs to the newest Winrar?

Old November 26th 08, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RC[_3_]

Default Can any tell me how the newest Win Zip compairs to the newest Winrar?

I see that Winzip has some new type of lossless algorithm allowing a
great deal of lossless compression.
I've always favored Rar (every since I gave up Arj) because it had
better compression and IMHO it was just better all around.

So can WinZip really compress Jpgs in a significant manors and do it
better than Rar?
What about Pdf files, Can the new WinZip compress these also?

Thank

Ron
Old November 26th 08, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:47:25 -0500, RC wrote:

I see that Winzip has some new type of lossless algorithm allowing a
great deal of lossless compression.
I've always favored Rar (every since I gave up Arj) because it had
better compression and IMHO it was just better all around.

So can WinZip really compress Jpgs in a significant manors and do it
better than Rar?
What about Pdf files, Can the new WinZip compress these also?

Thank

Ron

Does it do Rar files?
Old November 27th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:47:25 -0500, RC put finger to
keyboard and composed:

So can WinZip really compress Jpgs in a significant manors and do it
better than Rar?

Can *any* software significantly compress an already highly compressed
file?

What about Pdf files, Can the new WinZip compress these also?

Some PDFs are already compressed, others are not. Some PDFs are text
based, others incorporate scanned documents. I suspect you are asking
an impossible question.

- Franc Zabkar
Old November 28th 08, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

RC wrote:
I see that Winzip has some new type of lossless algorithm allowing a
great deal of lossless compression.
I've always favored Rar (every since I gave up Arj) because it had
better compression and IMHO it was just better all around.

So can WinZip really compress Jpgs in a significant manors and do it
better than Rar?
What about Pdf files, Can the new WinZip compress these also?

Thank

Ron

IME 7-zip is far better

NT