Help pci modem wont go

Old September 24th 05, 09:40 AM
Debbie

Default Help pci modem wont go

Hi all, hope Im in the right place. I cant find what my modem is (internal,
notebook - screws broke off - cant open). I have a code 28 error, saying no
drivers are installed, after I uninstall, restart and try to reinstall
software (I dont have a disc and dont know what it is).

Is there a standard driver that I can install to get it going?. I have
tried 10 popular modems eg conexant but the code error changes to a 1 saying
the modem isnt working properly.

Please help.

Thanks
Debbie

Old September 24th 05, 10:25 AM
Jeffro Toll

"Debbie" wrote in message
Hi all, hope Im in the right place. I cant find what my modem is
(internal,
notebook - screws broke off - cant open). I have a code 28 error, saying
no drivers are installed, after I uninstall, restart and try to reinstall
software (I dont have a disc and dont know what it is).

Is there a standard driver that I can install to get it going?. I have
tried 10 popular modems eg conexant but the code error changes to a 1
saying the modem isnt working properly.

Please help.

Thanks
Debbie

download Belarc Advisor it will tell you everything about your hardware

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.htm

dj

Old September 25th 05, 02:07 AM
w_tom

A responsible computer manufacturer provides comprehensive
diagnostics either on the machine or on his web site. IOW,
before you even ask, quote numbers from those diagnostics. A
discounted laptop would not provide these essential
diagnostics meaning you must then go to the modem
manufacturer.

Also provided with NT based OSes are historical information
in the Event (system) logs AND in Device Manager (see Help if
you have not learned of these yet). Up front, collect facts
before trying to fix anything. Those facts and numbers should
be in your next post.

Error code 28 is from what? The BIOS (which executes before
is error code 28 from an application program? You have not
even told us which laptop, which model, which OS, or useful
numbers with all adjoining text.

Your responses will only be as good as the information
provided - especially the numbers. Run on sentences will also
only get less useful replies. Most any computer newsgroup
will be the right place *IF* you provide useful information up
front. Numbers are essential for responses from the
technically knowledgeable. But '28' tells us nothing useful
without knowing what it came from - and all the words before
and after that twenty eight - complete even with any spelling
errors in that message.

No diagnostic says, "modem is not working properly". It
says something very specific which you must quote here.

Old September 25th 05, 12:45 PM
Debbie

Thanks downloaded Belarc advisor but no mention of a modem anywhere.

A few other requests for info on my notebook. Its an ASUSTeK Computer INC.
V6V 1.0, running xp sp2. Bought it 6 months ago but didnt get paperwork
(due to anal pc tech at work who likes to do everything himself - 6 months
down the track). There is info in Belarc on controllers, bus adapters,
communications and other devices, but not a mention of a modem anywhere. I
am happy to give whatever info is necessary but am not sure what that would
be.

And re other info referred to - the error code is in device manager, in pci
modem, in general tab under Device status 'The drivers for this device are
not installed. (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this devive click
reinstall driver. I try this but either way I dont have the correct drivers
as there is no info on what the modem is?. Obviously I am missing
something, please feel free to point it out (unless its brains because I may
have trouble downloading more of these). Help still needed.

Thanks
Debbie

Old September 25th 05, 05:00 PM
w_tom

In Device Manager, delete the modem. Then reboot the
machine. PnP locates the modem as a new device, locates and
loads the device driver (if not from harddisk, then from the
Windows CD-Rom or from the Belarc CD-Rom or diskette), AND
then you have a working modem.

It can be a little more complicated if the 'custom machine'
builder did not setup the correct directories for where to
find device drivers. Just another of so many customized
things that can go wrong when the machine is home built.

Old September 26th 05, 03:31 PM
Alceryes

"Debbie" wrote in message
Hi all, hope Im in the right place. I cant find what my modem is
(internal,
notebook - screws broke off - cant open). I have a code 28 error, saying
no drivers are installed, after I uninstall, restart and try to reinstall
software (I dont have a disc and dont know what it is).

Is there a standard driver that I can install to get it going?. I have
tried 10 popular modems eg conexant but the code error changes to a 1
saying the modem isnt working properly.

Please help.

Thanks
Debbie

If none of the other suggestions work you could probably install it as a
'standard V.92 modem' with no ill side affects.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old September 27th 05, 12:55 AM
BruceM

You need to go here & go through the process. I couldn't because I don't
have the laptop.
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...5&l2=61&l3 =0
Get the modem driver & then "update" the driver for it in device manager.

"Alceryes" wrote in message
ink.net...