A Super Nuts Question about Power Supplies...!

Old September 25th 05, 11:50 PM
Starz_Kid

Default A Super Nuts Question about Power Supplies...!

Hello Group, I'm looking for a power supply that has ONLY the flat 4 pin
connectors. I have a custom made computer that already has the convential
motherboard based power supply.

What I am looking for (if one exists) is a power supply (or supplies-plural)
that I can use exclusively for connecting to the 2 RAID setups that I have
installed. So, has anyone run across such a power supply ? ? ? ?

3 RAID setups, x 4 HDD per setup = 12 WD 200 GB Drives.

Thanks for any info..!

Starz_Kid...

Old September 26th 05, 12:04 AM
Skeleton Man

Hello Group, I'm looking for a power supply that has ONLY the flat 4 pin
connectors. I have a custom made computer that already has the convential
motherboard based power supply.

What I am looking for (if one exists) is a power supply (or supplies-plural)
that I can use exclusively for connecting to the 2 RAID setups that I have
installed. So, has anyone run across such a power supply ? ? ? ?

3 RAID setups, x 4 HDD per setup = 12 WD 200 GB Drives.

Thanks for any info..!

A more logical approach would be to simply buy a bigger power supply ! (like
true 650W or something in that range)

Regards,
Chris

Old September 26th 05, 03:14 AM

Starz_Kid wrote:
I'm looking for a power supply that has ONLY the flat 4 pin
connectors.

What I am looking for (if one exists) is a power supply (or supplies-plural)
that I can use exclusively for connecting to the 2 RAID setups that I have
installed. So, has anyone run across such a power supply ? ? ? ?

How will you turn on this supply? If manually, an AT or brick supply
(electronics parts sources, such as Jameco) will work, but for
automatic turn-on an ATX supply is the simplest and cheapest solution
(attach the green wire of its motherboard power plugs to the primary
supply's similar green wire).

Old September 26th 05, 05:17 AM
kony

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:50:11 GMT, "Starz_Kid"
wrote:

Hello Group, I'm looking for a power supply that has ONLY the flat 4 pin
connectors. I have a custom made computer that already has the convential
motherboard based power supply.

What I am looking for (if one exists) is a power supply (or supplies-plural)
that I can use exclusively for connecting to the 2 RAID setups that I have
installed. So, has anyone run across such a power supply ? ? ? ?

3 RAID setups, x 4 HDD per setup = 12 WD 200 GB Drives.

PC PSU are sold in such volumes that they're a commodity
item. This results in a far lower price per capacity than a
special PSU you seek. How much saving is it worth to have
to coil up the ATX connector and put a nylon wire-tie around
it? If that is too ugly or bulky, even buying two or three
feet of heat-shink tubing then snipping off the wires inside
a regular PSU, isolating them with the heatsink, would work.

I suppose you want regular ATX, PS2 sized form factor? That
will be the difficult part most likely as there is little to
nothing that uses PS2 form but has only the 4 pin plugs.
Further, if you managed to find one at reasonable price, be
sure to know the date of manufacturing before purchase as
some surplus might've been sitting around for ages on a
shelf- and some parts do degrade some even when unused.

Sorry but I"ve never seen one in PS2 form, let alone with
that capacity.
Old September 26th 05, 07:16 PM
Bennett Price

You could get general purpose - not built for PC's supplies and
attach/splice on the appropriate connectors.
For example, http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/1538-1542.pdf

You don't say whether the drives are in cases that have room for PS's.
But as others have suggested, cheapest is to buy large PC PS's and cut
of the wires you don't want.

Starz_Kid wrote:

Hello Group, I'm looking for a power supply that has ONLY the flat 4 pin
connectors. I have a custom made computer that already has the convential
motherboard based power supply.

What I am looking for (if one exists) is a power supply (or supplies-plural)
that I can use exclusively for connecting to the 2 RAID setups that I have
installed. So, has anyone run across such a power supply ? ? ? ?

3 RAID setups, x 4 HDD per setup = 12 WD 200 GB Drives.

Thanks for any info..!

Starz_Kid...

is it the motherboard or the power supply, that is the question? spodosaurus Homebuilt PC's 1 August 10th 05 06:00 AM
Power Cables Question Ricky Romaya Homebuilt PC's 3 December 26th 04 11:35 PM
Parallel Power Supplies - Will it Work? Philadelphia Frank General 4 June 8th 04 03:15 PM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
Power Supplies, P4 or AMD Question Luxana Homebuilt PC's 2 September 11th 03 05:21 AM