IS7: 60c at idle, it is getting hot in here....

Old October 4th 03, 05:47 PM
Skid

"TomG" wrote in message
news:tFhfb.6853$N94.4477@lakeread02...
excellent point on the core voltage... I am at 244 on stock core voltage.

Why thank you, kind sir.

I think most people tend to try and force balky cpus over the hump with
higher voltages, but forget that it might be possible to lower the voltage
once the system is stable at that speed.

As for the bottom part of the post about those funky GAT settings, that
Mushkin article was one of the main reasons I decided to plunk down the
extra $25 for an IC7 over an IS7. I'm glad I did.

A lot of people have trouble getting PAT enabled in overclocked systems, and
those running at anything other than 1:1 usally have to settle for "partial"
PAT or none at all.

It's not a huge performance difference, but $25 isn't a lot of money,
either.

Old October 5th 03, 01:23 AM
Steve

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 07:11:08 -0400, "TomG"
wrote:

personal opinion, that is way too warm. the case temps are not impressive
unless you live in a very warm climate. but even with the case open, unless
the ambient temps are very warm, that cpu temperature is much warmer than I
would want to see. are you quite sure that you have the heat sink mounted
up properly?

Yes it is mounted properly. Initially I used the thremal pad on the
stock heatsink, later I replaced that with artic silver II. Both time
I verified that the heatsink was properly mounted.

I'm running a 2.8c and even with an overclock of 244 FSB my temps have never
gone over 61 in the warmest of conditions and full gaming load.

And that's why I am wondering why my system is so warm.

Steve

Old October 5th 03, 01:42 AM
TomG

well, some P4's run warmer than others and some mobo's sense on the warm
side as well... if you happen to have both working against you, then you
could be seeing temps on the warm side but the hard part of that is that you
don't know for sure that this is what is happening.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 117,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old October 8th 03, 02:46 AM
Greg Jones

"Steve" Somewhere@overtherainbow wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:32:17 GMT, "Tod DeBie"
wrote:

I am having some serious heat problems. Here is my setup:

There is a big discussion about temps on the Abit forums.
Abit claims that they are using an internal diode in the CPU that reads the
temps of the
CPU die itself and because of this the temps are higher than on boards that
use
different sensors.

I don't know if I belive this or not, but there are LOTS of people with the
Abit IS7
that are seeing the same high temps. Temps in the 70's under load are
common.
From my reading of the forums the temps are high but the systems appear to
be
stable so it may be a non-problem afterall.

If you want to learn more check out the forums at the abit website.
Atleast you know you are not alone.